Munich to Mittenwald to Fussen????

Jul 31st, 2009, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Munich to Mittenwald to Fussen????

I will be spending two days in Munich sightseeing and the next two nights in Fussen. While we are in Fussen we plan to spend one day seeing Newschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. We would also like to see Mittenwald. We thought we would drive from Munich to Mittenwald and spend at least a few hours there and drive on to Fussen.
Does this seem reasonable?

Is there a scenic route from Munich to Mittenwald to Fussen? From Fussen we are driving north along the Romantic Road and this will be our only chance to see anything of the Alps.
Jul 31st, 2009, 09:56 AM

I suggest that you alter your route enough to include the Wieskirche. It is a baroque masterpiece inside.
It is pretty enough on the outside, but I think the outside does not give enough of a hint as to the glorious interior.

In other words, having visited the Frauenkirche and some other churches in Munich, I was not prepared for what I saw inside the Wieskirche. It was definitely one of my "wow" monents.

Neuschwanstein for me was something of a let down. The outside is the reverse of the Wieskirche. The fairyland exterior and the natural setting of the building outperforms the interior, which was never finished.

I don't regret my visit, but I am not sure I would return.

The English language tours tend to be crowded because many Europeans tend to take the first tour given in a language they understand.

To give you a sample. We took a good tour of the Festspielhaus in Salzburg. The tour started out being given in English and then German. Our guide had very good English diction. The German speakers soon told her that English was sufficient - no need to restate anything in German.

I have been there twice and would make a third visit were I in the area.
Jul 31st, 2009, 12:04 PM

Totally agree with bob_brown re Wieskerche. Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau, you have to see it once and it is indeed fairy tale like as you approach Fussen and you see it from the distance.

Mittenwald is also a must see, all those painted houses and buildings are gorgeous.

Suggestion...GPS helped a lot in finding small towns.
Jan 12th, 2011, 10:34 PM

Modern Munich is a financial and publishing hub, and a frequently top-ranked destination for migration and ex-patriate location in high rankings. Munich achieved 7th place in frequently quoted Mercer livability rankings in 2010. There are various cultural and artworks at Munich that serves as important sightseeing for visitors.
http://www.nomadictraveler.net/meand...ch-part-2.html
Jan 13th, 2011, 09:11 AM

Hi,

You stated: "From Fussen we are driving north along the Romantic Road and this will be our only chance to see anything of the Alps."

Not true. There are many options to see the Alps around Mittenwald and Fuessen.

About a mile or so from Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau is the Tegelberg cable car and Sommerrodelbahn (luge ride). Both are excellent. From the top of Tegelberg you'll have fantastic views over the Alps. The luge ride is a blast!

www.schwangau.de/tegelberg-cablecar-626.html

You could also drive to nearby Ehrwald, Austria (30 to 40 minute drive) for a quick (20 min. to the top) cable car ride to the top of the Zugspitze. The Zugspitze is the tallest mt. in Germany and is shared (it's right on the border) by both Germany and Austria.

www.zugspitze.at

If you can get the Neuschwanstein/Hohneschwangau tours done early (before noon say), take the Tegelberg or Zugspitze trip. Since you're staying in Fuessen, I'd suggest getting to the castles around 8:30am, before the tour buses arrive. They are only a 10 minute drive from Fuessen.

I agree with a stop at the Wieskirche. It's amazing inside.

Mittenwald has a wonderful backdrop of Alps. It's a gorgeous village also.

To answer your question, yes, you could easily stop in Mittenwald on the way. There's yet another good cable car ride in Mittenwald called the Karwendelbahn.

www.mittenwald.de/index.shtml?m_karwendelbahn

Paul
Jan 13th, 2011, 11:25 AM

I loved our tour of Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein - didn't feel let down at all. I definitely recommend the tours. I think it is a matter of expectations though - the tours aren't super long and they do move through at a quick pace. A lot of people want to see it, so no one gets much time to hang around inside. It's just one of those places you have to expect to be crowded.
Jan 13th, 2011, 01:04 PM

For those who like Wieskirche, I would recommend the abbey church at Ottobeuren, which lies northwest of Füssen towards the Romantic Road:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottobeuren_Abbey

Regards, Gary
Jan 13th, 2011, 01:38 PM

I think the OP has been there and back by now. But all good info in your posts
Jan 13th, 2011, 04:17 PM

Oh well - I hope they had a good time.

There should be some sort of warning for these old threads - before someone can post to them, something pops up that says "Do you REALLY want to post to a thread that is __ years old?"
Jan 13th, 2011, 04:32 PM

Maybe have all the posters names changed to red once a year has passed? It's so easy to post to an old thread