Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich to Baden Baden and back via Train (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-to-baden-baden-and-back-via-train-674343/)

EuroJen Jan 27th, 2007 05:27 PM

Munich to Baden Baden and back via Train

How long will it take to get to Baden Baden from Munich by train? Would it be a scenic trip? I have gone by car previously, but I am traveling alone for R&R this time, and will take the train. I would appreciate any suggestions about the train. I would stay in BB maybe two days and head back to Munich.

Vilen Danke
Jennifer

BTilke Jan 28th, 2007 04:17 AM

There is one direct train from Munich to BB, the EC (EuroCity) 64, which takes a little over 3.5 hours, leaving Munich about 12:30 pm (on the way back, the direct train is the EC 67, leaving BB around 3:30 pm). However, if you'd like to try riding the ICE trains, then you'd have to change in Mannheim and would need about an extra hour for the trip (time spent hanging in Mannheim between trains).
The train ride is fairly scenic, not THE most scenic ride in Germany, but certainly not unpleasant and has some pretty bits along the way. The ride between Mannheim and BB (which takes about half an hour) is fairly plain.
Don't forget the BB train station is actually in Baden-Oos, a short bus or taxi ride from the center of BB. If you opt for the bus, they're right at the station and are clearly marked. They run quite frequently most of the day.
Enjoy BB! We go there several times a year.

BTilke Jan 28th, 2007 04:20 AM

By the way, if your trip is over a week-end and you happen to be staying at the Dorint/Sofitel, their free guided walking tour of BB on Saturday mornings is worth joining. Even though we've been to BB many times and have family there, we still learned quite a bit. In German and English.

ira Jan 28th, 2007 04:28 AM

Hi EJ,

Train schedules, tickets, etc are at www.bahn.de

((I))

EuroJen Jan 28th, 2007 08:06 AM

Thank you all for your responses! I needed the train information as I ususally go there via car. I have been to Baden Baden many times and it is indeed a favorite with me--thus my return.

I will study these train schedules
again. thanks to all of you.

EuroJen Jan 28th, 2007 10:26 AM

In Munich, I am staying at the Acanthus Hotel and I conferred with Greg and he told me there is NO direct train to BB. He could be wrong--but what do you all think? I told him the ICE train is the one with the connection. Interesting.

What is the cost of the train? Yes ,I am checking the website too--but I want to be sure am doing it correctly.

By the way I was just reminded that the VAT went up 19% as 1/1/07--thus the room rates that were actually posted as 89 euros are now 92 euros for a single.

quokka Jan 28th, 2007 02:22 PM

There is (on weekdays, I didn't check weekends) a direct EuroCity leaving Munich at 8.40 and arriving in Baden-Baden at 12.22, and another leaving Munich at 12.40 and arriving at Baden-Baden at 16.22. According to our friend www.bahn.de.