Outer Hebrides Music

Search

Outer Hebrides Music

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outer Hebrides Music

A friend and I are planning a trip to the Outer Hebrides in May of 2014. I am a big fan of traditional folk music and songs by Kathleen MacInnes and Julie Fowlis have really peaked my interest. While I'm in Scotland, I would love to hear some of their traditional Celtic music, particularily Puirt A Beul and waulking songs. I haven't heard of any festivals in May but picked that month as we wanted to avoid the summer crowds and the midges. Plus it works well for our co-workers if we take our vacations during off times. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I can hear any of that kind of music or see any country dances (not the highly stylized Highland dancing but the country dancing) while visiting?
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:23 AM

Most festivals start later in the year, local ceilidhs and events go on all year but are only advertised locally. If you find it difficult to get details before you go, ask when you get there. Tourist info offices are not always the best places(one at every ferry terminal), often better info can be had in the shop, bus or pub. Most people will be happy to help. May is the nesting season, popular with birders but, as you say, before the main tourist crowds arrive. IMHO May is the best time to go.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
May is a great time to visit - but don't count on music festivals etc.

Look for announcements for performances and ceilidhs posted at the village hall, in the shop/post office.
Old May 13th, 2013, 11:53 AM

Note - the PC brigade have renamed the Outer Hebrides as the Western Isles. Doesn't really have the same impact.
Old May 13th, 2013, 12:01 PM

If you are on Barra, try to find out when and where the Vatersay Boys are playing next. The Castlebay bar is one place they often play at the weekend. Well worth seeing.
Old May 13th, 2013, 10:05 PM

The last time I was on Lewis (April 2012), I noticed that ceilidhs and music sessions were advertised at the post offices, general stores, and community centers. If you can make your trip in April, the Feis Rois in Ullapool would be a must attend event for you.
Old May 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your great suggestions. I will definitely be checking performances and ceilidhs in the shops, village hall, community centers and post offices. I'm planning to stay at B&Bs so maybe the owners will know of some.
Old May 30th, 2013, 09:49 PM

It's possible that a B&B owner might know of ceilidhs and whatnot but it's best to ask at the time you book your room. Of the 20-odd B&Bs I have stayed at in Scotland, a little more than half didn't know about "local" things aside from the typical touristy stuff. Good luck.