Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich, Salzburg, Hallstatt & Berchtesgarden Restaurant Help

Jun 20th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Hello! Looking for some recommendations for our trip in a couple of months. We will be in the following areas:

Nymphenburg District of Munich
Salzburg
Hallstatt
Berchtesgarden
City Center of Munich

Of course, we'll eat some traditional Bavarian meals but we're also looking for recommendations for: Italian, Indian, Greek & bakery / cafe for breakfast. We've read and heard the Italian in Munich is really good. Any recommendations are appreciated. Oh, we typically spend about $20 or under per entree in the US. Probably the most we would be looking to spend is about 60 euro total. Maybe one really, really nice meal on the trip for a little more. Thanks for the help!
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Hallstatt---the restaurant at Gasthof Simony is really good. I have eaten there several times. I've eaten twice at Gasthof Zauner, but I had only schnitzel both times-very good.

At Berchtesgaden I have only eaten at Hotel Bavaria. Everything I have had was excellent. It seems to be popular. It's very busy most days at dinner time.
Jun 20th, 2010, 03:41 PM

There is a big old restaurant/beer garden in Salzburg "Sternbrau" with a large star on the (roof of the) building. I had wonderful lamb chops there, cooked perfectly. It is at Griesgasse 23. Wander thru and pick the area that appeals to you the most. We sat in a dark wood/traditional room. It was also great people watching. We had another good meal with great dessert on the other side of the river on the pedestrian street, another traditional place but I will have to look it up. Good eating! CJ
Jun 20th, 2010, 04:16 PM

There is a good Italian restaurant right in the center of Berchtesgaden. I don't remember the name of it, but it's (I believe) the only Italian restaurant in the pedestrian center, right across from the Tengleman grocery store. The pizza was a big hit, which is impressive because we've had plenty of pizza in Italy!

Stiftskeller St. Peters, in Salzburg, is also wonderful and historic. A little more upscale, but the turkey schnitzel was amazing.

For bakeries, you almost can't go wrong. Just find a little bakery in town and order what looks good. I sometimes dream about the chocolate croissants....

Tracy
Jun 20th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. A lady I work with just got back from a trip to Germany (didn't travel thru Bavaria except to go to Fussen). Anyway, she had an Italian meal one night that she ranked in her top 5 meals of all time. She said they brought a cheese wheel to the table, hollowed it out and tossed pasta inside so the pasta and cheese all melted together. They followed that up by shaving white truffels on top. Sounds amazing. Hopefully, we'll get lucky and stumble across something unique like this. Thanks again and keep them coming!
Jun 20th, 2010, 06:24 PM

I wish I could remember the name of the bakery I stopped at in Salzburg. It wasn't near all the popular shops, it was across the river in more of a business area. Well, it was the first time my kids ever had apple streudel. We went back the next day to get some to go for our ride to our next destination. It was the best struedel we had on the entire trip. And my kids tried it in every town in Austria I think.
Jun 20th, 2010, 07:36 PM

Some of the best Italian food we've ever had has been in Germany and Austria. We love Carbonara but it isn't served much in our hometown but it seems that almost every Italian restaurant over there has it on the menu.

In Berchtesgaden, there was a lovely pastry shop across the street from the Hotel Wittelsbach (Maximillianstrasse) where we stayed. We had one lunch and a dinner at the Hotel Watzmann. It was quite good and not expensive.

In Hallstatt, the restaurant at the Seehotel Gruner Baum is probably the best in town IMO. It is a little pricey but worth the splurge in my mind. The breakfast at the Zauner was good but I've never had lunch or dinner there. Same for the Simony. However, we'll be staying at the Simony in September, so I'm sure we'll give it a try then.

Last September, we ate lunch at the restaurant on top of the Mönchsberg next to the Modern Art Museum. The food was good and the views from up there were amazing!

http://www.travelchannel.com/Places_...rants/Stadtalm
Jun 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM

I know you didn't ask for chinese specifically but ... there was a great Chinese restaurant in Berchtesgaden, can't remember the name but something like "Heng Hongs" it was near a laundromat. We ate there twice and the staff were very friendly as well.
Jun 21st, 2010, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Good rec. on the Chinese. When we were in Dingle Ireland a couple of years ago we stumbled across a Chinese place & had a great meal.
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:19 PM

Some of the best Italian food outside of Italy can be found in Munich. A place I like to go for lunch is Osteria Santini, which is close to the river.

Another good place for Italian is Grissini - La Trattoria, which is in Schwabing. I had some really good fish there.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 11:33 AM

We were in Hallstadt and Salzburg last September and liked the following restaurants:

Hallstadt:

Hotel Gruner Baum - The fish(from the lake) was very good, side dishes not as good but okay, great lake view, service spotty, one waiter trying to do it all himself with a group in a separate room, somewhat higher in cost than what you were looking for. Also, went to the Zauner. Didn't think it was as good as Gruner with similar prices.

Restaurnat Braugasthof was excellent. Had delicious chicken gorgonzola there with a very good crepe dessert. They have lakeview seating outside if it's nice and an atmospheric inside if it's not. This is more in your price range.

Salzburg:

Shrimps - A very good, kind of hip little place, mostly locals, friendly sevice and yes, we had scampi there. It's in your price range. It's at Steingasse 5, across the river from the old town. It's a Rick Steves recommendation. We were looking for it. Otherwise, never would have noticed it.

Afro Cafe - For something more exotic, we really enjoyed this place. African, including some north African food in an inviting atmosphere. In your price range except the South African wine is a bit pricey(but very good). It's at Burgerspitalplatz 5.

Goldene Ente - A traditional in the old town. Had very good duck with a bread dumpling and red cabbage. Reasonable prices. Don't have the address.

Alt Salzburg - A more upscale place for a special dinner. Somewhat traditional, some modern Austrian, a bit French. Very nice atmosphere and sevice. Although, not inexpensive we thought it was a good value for it's price range. If you go, don't miss the quenelles(starter or main). Don't have the address.

I ditto the Modern Art Museum's restaurant for lunch. However, it's pricey.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 11:54 AM

In Salzburg there is a big, noisy beer hall restaurant, Zum Fidelen Affen (the faithful ape), just across the river from the old city. This place is the real deal - you sit a tables family style, the beer is flowing, and the food consists of sausages, dumplings and mountains of sauerkraut. Also, don't miss the Augustinan brewery beer garden.
Jun 22nd, 2010, 02:02 PM

For ice cream, check out Sarcletti, Nymphenburger Straße 155 in Munich. Greek quite good and inexpensive: Poseidon corner Menzinger/Maria Ward. Bus 51/151 to OEZ, exit at Maria Ward street.
Jun 23rd, 2010, 03:59 AM
Original Poster

Awesome! We'll def. plan to check some of these out. Thanks.
Jun 23rd, 2010, 06:05 AM

Hi
I'm sorry but I don't remember the name of the pizzeria we ate in Berchstgaden, except it was a hole in the wall on a side street. You ate practically in the kitchen with some of the best pizza I've had.. It didn't look like much but went there 2x.
Jul 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM

A great restaurant in Munich (near the Hofbrau) is Schuhbeck's. This is not cheap, but you may have one of the fine meals of your life and, certainly, the finest service. We were completely blown away!