Munich/Salzburg for 8 days

Dec 30th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Munich/Salzburg for 8 days

Hello!
We have roundtrip flights for Munich Germany in August.
Need recommendations for areas to stay, things to do.

Currently we were planning:
4 days: Salzburg
5 days: Munich

Some questions right away: I'd like to do a day trip to Hallstatt...would that be from Salzburg, or Munich? is 5 days too much in Munich? I saw on other posts the possibility of Venice from Munich- is that a possibility if we split our time differently?!

(We like the outdoors, pubs, old world charm and quintessential Europe)
Dec 30th, 2015, 06:50 AM

Five days is definitely NOT too long in Munich. Not only is there a lot to do there, you are an easy day trip train ride away from lots of other interesting towns and sites. Venice is another trip completely. Focus on Germany and Austria this trip. In the end, you'll wish you had even more time there.
Dec 30th, 2015, 07:44 AM

The ratio of things to do, unless you are a mountaineer or hiker would lend itself to more of 6 - 3 ratio for Munich, I think. However, if you go straight to Salzburg after arriving 4 days in Salzburg and the final 5 in Munich would make sense. You would lose most of the arrival day in that foggy jet lag adrenaline mix and then have 3 full days in Salzburg from which you could take one long and maybe one brief day-trip. Leaving early on the 4th morning you would have almost 5 days in Munich (unless you stopped somewhere along the way like Lake Konigsee or Berchtesgaden (you would need to be driving to make this and the day trips work best) and be close to the airport for departure

A day trip to Hallstatt would be done from Salzburg - 1:15 by car 2:35 by train.
Munich to Hallstatt is about 2:30 - 3:00 hours driving and 4:23 by train

It's a 5:30 drive from Munich to Venice (best conditions), and the train takes about 9 hours - there is a sleeper train on the route. Since you would give up a day or so travelling there and back and want at least 2 days in Venice, it seems like a stretch to include it here.
Dec 30th, 2015, 07:55 AM

You can reach many interesting places from Munich by car or train. I found the
City rather dull, though. Ask for specifics when posters rave about Munich.

Pat.
Dec 30th, 2015, 08:20 AM

>>>>>"Ask for specifics when posters rave about Munich".

Because you think they must be confused, or misguided?
Dec 30th, 2015, 08:48 AM

I agree that Munich is not the most exciting city in europe but there is plenty to occupy you for 2 days and you can certainly do a lot of day trips from there to charming smaller town or countryside.

I would definitely rent a car for this trip so you can easily get from one place in the countryside to another without waiting for trains going hither and yon.
Dec 30th, 2015, 08:55 AM

No, I was just let down by the city after reading and hearing that it is great.
Looking back, I realize that other than "great" , I didn't get many specifics.

Personally, I found many other places in Bavaria more pleasing than Munich.

Pat
Dec 31st, 2015, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank You!

I was with some friends who recommendeded going to Vienna from Salzburg and cutting out a day in Munich and spending more time in Vienna.

Would that be a better itinerary?

Regardless- we arrive and leave from Munich and we depart right for Salzburg when we arrive...so the real planning is the last 5 days of the trip as long as it gets us back to Munich for the flight home. We have from a Wednesday-Monday to plan what to do.

We arrive in Salzburg Saturday night so really only have Sun/Mon/Tues to do Salzburg and Halstatt.

Should we take off for Vienna from there?
Dec 31st, 2015, 08:48 AM

HI,

I would add more time to Salzburg. In addition to Salzburg and Hallstatt, visit Berchtesgaden and the Konigssee. Spend a day cruising on the Wolfgangsee visitng St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang and Strobl.

Midway between Munich and Salzburg, visit "Mad" King Ludwig's amazing Herrenchiemsee palace. I wouldn't do this on your first day, but when heading to Munich to finish your trip.

Paul
Dec 31st, 2015, 08:52 AM

IF you have a rental car,maybe visit Hohenwerfen Fortress and'or the Ice Caves in Werfen Austria. Visit the Salt Mines in Hallein, Austria or the one in Berchtesgaden, Germany. The Eagle's Nest is also in Berchtesgaden. The Rossfeld Panorama Road above Berchtesgaden is an extremely scenic alpine drive.

FYI: the drive from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden is under 30 minutes. Simple.

We've spent 18 nights during 5 trips based in the Berchtesgaden area. So much to see and so many easy day trips in the general area.
Paul
Dec 31st, 2015, 11:02 AM

"We like the outdoors, pubs, old world charm and quintessential Europe..."

Then in addition to Bamberg, you should probably spend no more than a couple of days in Munich and a couple of days somewhere else. I would NOT go all the way to Vienna.

Bamberg, with its UNESCO World Heritage old town, would be an excellent choice for someone with your priorities. Regensburg (also UNESCO WH) is closer and would be good as well.

BAMBERG:
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/624
http://en.bamberg.info/gastronomie/
http://en.bamberg.info/aktiv/

REGENSBURG:
http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1155
Dec 31st, 2015, 11:23 AM

I think you are saying, for nights;

Sat - Salzburg
Sun - Salzburg
Mon - Salzburg
Tue - Salzburg

Wed - Munich
Thu - Munich
Fri - Munich
Sat - Munich
Sun - Munich

and you want to know if you should take 1 night from Munich and go to Vienna.

If your friends suggested that you take a 2:30 hour train trip to Vienna, spend one night, and then take a 4:11 train trip back to Munich, they are really telling you that they prefer Vienna to Munich more than they are about their logistical ability. (tongue in cheek)

I suppose you could spend 2 nights in Vienna, giving you this;

Sat - Salzburg
Sun - Salzburg
Mon - Salzburg
Tue - Salzburg

Wed - Vienna
Thu - Vienna

Fri - Munich
Sat - Munich
Sun - Munich

Presuming you leave both Salzburg and Vienna on 10 o'clock trains that gives you from about 1:30 pm on Wednesday and all day Thursday to see Vienna and gives you from about 3:30 p.m. on Friday and all day Saturday and Sunday to see Munich.

So, the question is whether you want just 1.5 days in Vienna and 2.5 in Munich, 7 hours of train travel and 1 additional required set of packing and unpacking to "see" Vienna and see less of Munich (and area) than you originally planned. You original plan would have given you from about 12:00 noon on Wednesday through to Sunday evening in Munich, or 4.5 days

Depending on your interests, the "city" of Vienna might have more that you want to see than the "city" of Munich (that is not clear since Vienna is a suggestion from friends and was not part of your original plan). I do think that Munich offers more in the way of interesting day-trips than does Vienna (no offence to Bratislava and the Wachau Valley/Melk) and that the 4.5 days there would not be wasted.

Regensburg at 1:19 hours, Nuremberg also at 1:19, and Bamberg at 2:08, all by train, offer 3 superb and encompassing day-trips. There are more to the south, presuming you have not had your fill of the mountains in Salzburg and Hallstatt, such as; Oberammergau, Mittenwald, and Garmisch - Partinkirchen - all within 1:22 to 1:51 hours away.

Are you driving? The original plan would have you able to drop the car in Munich on Wednesday, for a 4 day rental (all day trips from Munich are better taken by train), while going on to Vienna would add 3 days of rental plus the gas.

Lots to think about.....
Dec 31st, 2015, 12:40 PM

You can see the main sights in Salzburg in one day or two. Hallstat can be visited from Salzburg by bus/train/ferry or by train. If you are spending Sun-Tues in Salzburg, you may want to go on Monday. That way you can have a pretty full last day in Salzburg, and take a later train to Munich.

you could go to Vienna, but you would spend a lot of time traveling and would not have much time to sightsee.

Depending on what time your plane leaves, you last day in Munich may not leave time to do much, so factor that in your plans.
Dec 31st, 2015, 04:20 PM

We are one of those that like Munich.
I have been maybe five times and still find things to do and see. My husband loves the history and walking with him he can point out so much to me. An example is Shirker's Alley.

BMW museum is A+, get the factory tour in English.
Take the train to Garmisch one day. A beautiful Bavarian village.
We have been twice for Oktoberfest but also in the winter twice and summer. The restaurants and beer halls are great.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...a_Bavaria.html

I have done most all of this attractions.
Salzburg is also good but we prefer Munich, Nuremberg is not far on the train and worth a day trip.
Dec 31st, 2015, 05:23 PM

Munich was almost leveled in WWII so I would not rate it high on old world charm. I like it as a modern, multicultural city. Great Biergartens.

That said, we prefer 2 day stays in smaller surrounding cities, many of which have already been mentioned. Regensburg and Bamberg are a couple of our favorites in Germany: walkable cities with plenty of Gasthäuser (inns) to enjoy a beer.

Landshut and Augsburg are very nice day trips from Munich. Landshut has a wealth of Baroque building facades that are fairly unique in my experience with Germany.

We have visited Salzburg and it is beautiful but I think I would tire of it in less than 4 days.

So much depends on individual taste. I would do a lot of research before I would commit so many days to just a couple cities. There are so many great places to visit in the area.
Jan 1st, 2016, 05:59 AM

We recently spent four days in Bamberg and four in Munich. I love both places, but if I had a chance to go back I would take Bamberg. We took day trips from both locations and found them to be good central locations. The Bavarian train tickets are really cheap if you get the "lander" ticket that lets you travel from 9am to 3am on local transport only. Four of us traveled for 32 euros all over Bavaria (all-day price).
Jan 1st, 2016, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

This is all amazing information and I haven't put my laptop down since this morning!!
After doing tons more research I am sticking with going right to Salzburg when we arrive in Munich and not doing Vienna.

Saturday- arrive in Salzurg around 5 pm, check into hotel, catch up on rest, get dinner somewhere and relax, get familiar with bus/train system etc.
Sunday- Day trip to Halstatt and back
Monday- Salzburg
Tuesday- Salzburg
Wednesday-check out early and take earliest train to Munich

Here's where I need more help...I dont want to spend the next 5 days in Munich. I want to see the Kings Castles, and do a day trip somewhere else- so I am thinking this will be 2 full days away from Munich, and then have 3 days to do the city.

We need to devote a FULL day to seeing the Kings Castles, correct?
The "day trip". I am narrowing it down to Rothenburg and Bamberg and possibly Mittenwald.

Does anyone have comparison opininons between Rothenburg and Bamberg? Rothernburg is farther- but it seems more charming and "quaint". Is is worth that far? Or is Bamberg just as good and closer to Munich?

I would like to eliminate multiple hotels. If possible it'd be nice to just check into Munich after Salz. and remain there. Would you need a hotel to see Rothenburg?

Thanks so much for all your amazing help so far
Jan 2nd, 2016, 04:06 AM

Hi,

If you mean Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles, then I'd propose spending a night in either Fuessen, which is a nice old town less than 10 minutes from the castles, or Garmisch, in which case you could go to the castles and to the top of the Zugspitze, Germany's highest mountain peak, on one of the 2 days. FYI: Mittenwald is about 20 minutes from Garmisch. We have stayed twice in Fuessen and twice in Mittenwald.

While we loved our stay in Rothenburg, it was crowded during the day and we enjoyed it most after around 5pm., when the tour bus crowds left. That and the Nightwatchman Tour was the best hour we spent there, but starts at 8pm.
Jan 2nd, 2016, 05:36 AM

"Does anyone have comparison opininons between Rothenburg and Bamberg? Rothernburg is farther- but it seems more charming and "quaint". Is is worth that far? Or is Bamberg just as good and closer to Munich?"

Rothenburg = Tourist Mecca
Bamberg = A genuine old-world German city. You don't have to compete with the tourist horde for breathing space like you would in R'burg.

But IMO both places are too far for a day trip from Munich and a Munich base will consume a whole lot of time. It seems to me that your big hang-up is your determination to stay 5 nights in Munich. If you are after charm and quaintness, Munich really won't have much to offer... So I here's a plan that gets you to one of Ludwig's "castles", to Rothenburg (or Würzburg or some other worthwhile place) and to Bamberg in the time that you have, and ALSO gets you into the Alps.

SAT-TUE:
I think your plan for Salzburg is OK. Hallstatt takes little time so you should have some time on Sunday for Salzburg too. Monday in Salzburg as well. Tuesday - I suggest you take the previous advice provided by pja1 (Paul.) Do a day trip to Berchtesgaden and the Königssee for some alpine splendor.

http://images.fotocommunity.de/bilde...366c66aa75.jpg

http://www.berchtesgadener-land.com/...-lockstein.jpg

WED: Paul also suggested seeing Herrenchiemsee - GREAT idea. Prien is ON THE WAY to Munich, only 1 hour from Salzburg. Stow bags in a locker and go see this King Ludwig castle/palace. It's fabulous, and it won't cost you the time it takes for a daytrip to Neuschwanstein (which is 5 hours round trip from Munich, not a real castle BTW.)

http://www.breitbrunn.com/Fotos/Breitbrunn-Luftbild.jpg
http://0.www.alpen-guide.de/m/image/...nchiemsee.jpeg
http://www.herrenchiemsee.de/englisch/n_palace/

Leave Prien on Wed. afternoon for Nuremberg (instead of Munich - train trip is a tad over 2 hours) and spend Wed - Fri nights there. Nuremberg is a relatively short train trip from Munich and a major train hub for outings.

THU: Day trip to Rothenburg (1.25 hours) + Nuremberg
FRI: Day trip to Bamberg (45 minutes)
SAT morning: leave bags at hotel or Nuremberg station, see Nuremberg or take another day trip; train to Munich in the evening.

SAT NIGHT - SUN NIGHT: in Munich.
MON: train to MUC for flight out.
Jan 2nd, 2016, 05:59 AM

A couple more things...

ABOUT NUREMBERG: It isn't tiny and quaint but it has a charming old-town section near the castle and is an easy city to cover on foot when compared with Munich:
http://media.belocal.de/120712/1152x768_0,0c.jpg

The cutesy Handwerkerhof is a collection of shops just across from the train station, an entertaining place to stop in: http://www.handwerkerhof.de/en/images.html

There are lots of good things to see and do - better than in Rothenburg IMO - if you're curious: http://tourismus.nuernberg.de/en/sightseeing.html:

CLARIFICATION: When I said Herrenchiemsee Palace "...won't cost you the time it takes for a daytrip to Neuschwanstein (which is 5 hours round trip from Munich...") I didn't mean you can see travel to N'stein, take the tour, and get back to Munich in 5 hours. I meant that the TRANSPORTATION ALONE requires 5 hours on trains and buses. Getting from the bus stop to the castle and back and the tour itself would require yet more time.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO