Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich, Salzburg and Prague next October. Dog friendly?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I know I will probably get flamed for this but we are taking our dog with us to Munich, Salzburg and Prague next October. She is a small Cavalier Spaniel who makes herself sick when we (interpret that as me, her faithful owner) are away from her. She has been well trained, travels well and quietly and will ride in the cabin in her own carrier under the seat. DH and I booked seats that are only two seats beside each other so you won't have to be riding next to her and, if experience is any judge, she will sleep in her carrier, which she loves, for the entire trip and wake up ready to romp upon landing. Reservations have been made, hotels are happy to accept her and this will be her first trip to Europe although she has traveled across the US and enjoys the plane ride. Now that we have that out of the way, here's the question:

We will fly from Charlotte to Munich and will be renting a car to travel from Munich to Salzburg then to Prague and back for a few days at the end of the trip in Munich. No problem with transportation between sites as we are renting a car, which BIL and SIL will use for day trips throughout the stay.

Question One: Are the cities named above pet friendly as far as taking well trained pets into cafes and such or should be plan on mostly outdoor dining? If so does anyone have any specific places that they know to be pet friendly or that prohibit pets absolutely so we can plan ahead?

Question Two: Are small pets, about eight pounds, allowed on public transportation such as U-Bahn and buses and, if so, does a ticket have to be purchased for the pet?

Question Three: Does anyone know of any pet stores that sell treats for dogs in any of these three cities?

Thank you in advance for your answers. I know this subject has come up before and can cause polarized responses from pet lovers and those who prefer a pet free environment but I am looking for some assistance as it really is cruel to leave this girl at home where she pines away for me and makes herself sick, with trips to the vet every time, when I am away from her.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

topping. Anyone???
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Hopefully someone like BTilke will see this and respond.

I am not sure about needing a ticket in Prague (where I have seen dogs on the trams and where, technically, you are supposed to have a ticket for certain sizesof luggage) but i do believe that in some cities in order to take your dog on public transport services they must be fitted with a muzzle.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Dukey: Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. She is small enough to fit in my handbag so I don't think it will be a big problem but I will make sure I take a muzzle with me in case it is needed. She has never worn one so I will try to get her used to it before we leave. Here's hoping that BTilke or someone else in the know happens upon this as well. Thank you for the info.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:34 PM

My experience has been that Germany, at least, is very dog friendly. Much more so than the U.S.

I sometimes attempt to babysit my neighbor's dog, who won't eat and won't even come out from behind the sofa when they are gone.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 05:41 PM

From my ample experience as a voyeur of such situations you will have NO problems anywhere in pet-friendly areas like this.

I believe Austria has even made hidden fences illegal for dogs because of the shock effect.

Dogs still rule here!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Peg: I am so happy to hear that Germany is dog friendly. It appeared to be so when we were there last year but I wanted to be sure. How sad for your neighbor's dog, it must make you feel very bad. That's how mine is too and I am afraid she would pine away and become very ill over a two week trip so off she goes with us.

PalenQ - Now I love Austria even more than I did before. Thank you. I agree that electronic fences should be outlawed. It is better to take the time to properly train your pet than to shock it when it doesn't even know why. Go Austria!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:21 PM

Salzburg is for the most part dog friendly. Many hotels accept pets...we are planning to take our cocker there ourselves about that time of year, staying at the outskirts of town in the Hotel Friesacher.
The only downside for dogs that I can see is that the old town of Salzburg can get very crowded. Our dog doesn't like those kinds of crowds (my husband doesn't either).
You probably should buy a muzzle just in case and start training her with it, just in case she needs it. Also, I assume you have on your pet passport, microchip, paperwork, etc.
Re pet treats in Salzburg, there was a very nice little pet shop in the basement level of the shopping center across the street from our hotel in Salzburg (the Best Western zum Hirschen; the hotel is still there but not a BW anymore). The DM and Billa stores also carry a good selection of treats, as do most supermarkets. The default treat brand is Pedigree...Rodeos, Markies, Springos, Schmakos, etc.
We take our dog with us on virtually every vacation in continental Europe and have never had a problem.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

BTilke - I knew I could count on you if you were reading tonight. Thank you. My dog has no problems with crowds but I have to be careful that she doesn't get stepped on and tend to pick her up and carry her if it is too crowded. We are staying at the Via Roma, which is very welcome to pets and has already given us the go ahead to bring her with us. I have already had her microchipped to conform to the European scanners, I have the passport and have all of the paperwork ready to go and have spoken to our vet to make sure that he is available to give her the examination at the appropriate time.
Have you found travelling with your spaniel to be fairly easy in the past? For the most part she will be with us but I am concerned about the time in museums and churches, where I understand that pets are not allowed. She will do well in the hotel room in her case for short periods of time but does not do well if left alone for more than a few hours.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I'm bringing this back up to the top to see if anyone else has any suggestions for dog friendly places in any of these three cities. Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:11 PM

One hint for anyone traveling with dogs to Austria...at the Wein & Co. shops (and other places, I imagine), pick up a copy of the Kurier "Tafelspitz" guide to restaurants in Austria (Kurier is an Austrian newspaper). Only 5 euros. VERY helpful!! Not only does it give photos and capsule reviews of all the restaurants covered (a quite extensive selection), it has a separate little chart for each restaurant that lists its overall score, "hipness", food, service, child-friendliness, AND dog friendliness (dog friendly restaurants get a 1, non dog friendly get a 0). Even if you can't read German, you can glance at the charts to see if it's dog friendly.
The reviews are spot on, we used them two weeks ago for Vienna and Graz, and found the guide by far the best restaurant guide for Austria that we'd ever used.
There is a Wein & Co in Salzburg.
The cafe/restaurant out at Schloss Hellbrunn is dog friendly, as I recall. Dogs also are allowed on the grounds, so while one of you explores the castle and the trick fountains, the other could have a drink or snack at the cafe or take your cavalier for a crowd-free run through the very extensive parkland.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

BTilke - If you were here I would kiss you right now. Thank you so much for the information on the restaurant guide. That will be our first stop, after purchasing the Salzburg pass of course.

We did not have the time to go to Schloss Hullbrunn when we were last in Salzburg and it is top of our list for next October. I am thrilled to hear we won't have to leave our girl in the hotel while we make this trip. We will simply take turns going into the castle while the other plays outside or enjoys a nice cafe with the cavalier.

You have been so helpful and I can't thank you enough.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM

jdraper, I don't have any suggestions, etc., but just want to tell you how jealous I am of you! How wonderful that you can take your little dog with you. I have 2 big ones, so have to leave them at home, and fret about it constantly for months before I go!

Actually, I DO have a suggestion for you. Try to get a copy of Michael Konik's "Ella In Europe"(an American dog's international adventures&quot. You will love it, and be even happier that you are taking your dog. I found out about that book here, and it's one of the sweetest things I have ever read. There's a thread on here about it, so if you do a search, maybe you can find it.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 05:59 PM

jdraper, if you want to pull up that thread about "Ella", put in "mikeyandella" in the search box.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Sue - I know how you feel leaving your 4 legged loved ones behind. My other two dogs are too big and too old to travel with me and I miss them terribly when we are away. I would never dream of putting them in the cargo hold of a plane. We got the cavalier to keep them company but she pines away for me when I am gone and makes herself sick so we are very lucky that cavaliers are small and she is smaller than average. We are blessed that she is such a good traveller but this is her first trip to Europe and I am a bit anxious.

I remember seeing the thread on Ella in Europe and I have already ordered the book but haven't received it yet. I can't wait to read it and I thank you for the recommendation. My two loves are travel and reading, not counting family and puppies of course, so when I find a book that includes travel I am in heaven.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 02:50 AM

Munich: In general, you'll be better off with a dog than with a kid in Germany.

You'll find a wide choice of dog food and dog treats in all German supermarkets and most drug stores.
Dogs aren't allowed to enter shops that sell food, like bakeries, butcheries, supermarkets etc. but that's understandable. Taking the dog into a restaurant, however, is no problem at all if the dog is well behaved (which yours seems to be according to your description), and the waiters will happily serve her a bowl of water if required. I see dogs in restaurants all the time. Expect the guests at neighbouring tables to "flirt" with the dog. A cute and friendly animal wins (almost) all hearts.

The Dark Side of the Medal: the dog's "leftovers", especially if the dog isn't trained to use the gully or the hedge or grass off the sidewalk. Some cities (not sure about Munich) have introduced laws that oblige the owner to remove the dog poo. Anyway, it is considered very rude to allow your dog to **** in the middle of a crowded sidewalk or footpath and leave the result there for everybody to step into. On the other hand, you'll be admired for your politeness if you remove it immediately. Plastic bags will solve the problem. These can be obtained for free from the "Robidog" boxes in some streets and parks, if you come across one, or get a pack of small plastic bags in a store and carry some. Garbage bins to throw the full bag into are everywhere.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:15 AM

quokka : I am happy to hear that most restaurants will be happy to accept her. She is well behaved and just likes to sit under the table and watch people around her when we are eating. I have found that she is a great gateway to meeting new people when we have travelled in the states as they do "flirt" with her quite a bit.

I always travel with several ziploc plastic bags when we are with her and she likes to find a grassy spot to take care of business so we have never had an accident on the sidewalk or street. However, I pick up her messes no matter where we are as a matter of courtesy and properly dispose of them so it will not be a problem. Thank you for reminding me though and thank you for the info on markets and restaurants in Munich.

Do you know if she will be allowed on public transportation and, if so, will I need to purchase a ticket for her in Munich?
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 09:58 AM

Just checked the MVV (Munich public transport) website:

"Every passenger that has a valid ticket may travel with one dog free-of-charge.
A children’s ticket is required for each additional dog.
Small dogs in a basket or a bag generally travel free-of-charge.
Dogs that could be a risk to other passengers must wear a muzzle.
All dogs must be kept on a leash in the vehicles and within the urban and underground rail stations."

Source: http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/f...nde/index.html
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 10:34 AM

quokka: Thank you for the information. I didn't know that information was out there so now I can check to see if I can find websites for the information on Salzburg and Prague as well. You have been a big help and I appreciate it.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:25 AM

You will find the Austrians very dog friendly - though they are trying to "stamp out" dog doo, so be prepared for accidents.

Here are two sites that suggest dog friendly hotels and cover Austria.

http://www.bellos-welcome.de
http://www.reisen-mit-hund.org

However, there are many more than this - just ring and ask hotels that you may be interested in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -