Munich/Salzburg Alps places to stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiancé and I are planning a week of our honeymoon around Salzburg and Munich. We are spending the last 2 nights in Munich but have 5 nights beforehand. We would like to be in the mountains away from Salzburg yet close enough to take a day trip or 2 there. I've read many good things on this site about Berchtesgaden, Salzkammergut and Lake Cheimsee. Are there advantages of staying in one area over the others? Would staying in one at all preclude visiting the others? Ideally, we would stay some place (an apartment would be preferable) close to a village but not necessarily right in the center of one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 10:07 AM

You've picked a fabulous region to enjoy a honeymoon. However, in what month will the big event take place? That could make a difference.

I'm assuming you are flying into Munich, renting a car and driving south, with the two nights in Munich at the end before flying back. Correct?

I'd plan on starting with two nights in Prien am Chiemsee, south of Munich about 40 minutes. I say this, because you'll be tired after your flight and will want to rest. Visit Herrenchiemsee (castle), and just enjoy the beautiful area.

Then drive south with a stop in Fussen, if you like. You can visit the castle and then drive to Hallstatt (Salzkammergut). Get a room with a lake view, of course. Visit the salt and ice caves, and you can easily visit Salzburg from here or on your way back to Munich.

That will take care of your five nights before Munich.

Without knowing some of the details of your flight, etc. plans, that's about all I can suggest.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:11 AM

We love the village of Walchsee in Austria. 1 hr to Salzburg, 1 hr to Innsbruck, 1 hr to Berchtesgaden, 1.5 hrs to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, 1 hr to Munich, 1 hr to Grossglocknerstrasse. And its a beautiful village with a warm lake. http://www.kaiserwinkl.com/
select English and under locations you will see Walchsee listed. We normally stay with a local lady for 90 Euro for 3 nights for 3 including Frühstück.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 11:25 AM

>We would like to be in the mountains away from Salzburg yet close enough to take a day trip or 2 there.<

We stayed in just such a place - a ferienwohnung (apartment) above the village of Marktschellenberg. A family farmhouse; it was ideal...

Haus Blum'reit - here's the website: http://tinyurl.com/y6478a
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the advice. We are definitely going to look into the above! I do have another question though, if anyone can help. I understand that they are all beautiful areas, but what are the differences between Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Salzkammergut, and Berchtesgaden, and Lake Cheimsee?
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:53 PM

In brief...

The Garmisch area features the Zugspitze, the village of Mittenwald and the Ettal Kloster.

The Salzkammergut is an area of rolling hills, lovely lakes and the scenic town of Hallstatt.

The Berchtesgaden area is mountainous with pretty meadows, the gorgeous Königssee and, of course, Eagle's Nest.

The Chiemsee features the Herreninsel. nothing more IMO.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:59 PM

Garmisch-Partenkirchen offers wonderful alpine hiking, if you are interested in that. I can't compare it to the other towns because I haven't been to them. But G-P offers many places to choose from; most in Bavarian chalet style and many outside of the main village.

No lovely lake like some of the other places you mentioned. When are you going? That makes a difference is which might be best for you.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:06 PM

>G-P offers many places to choose from
Ehrwald and Lermoos would be first on my list. Far nicer than the Bavarian side.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM

Logos----are the views as nice? I love looking up to the north face of the Alpspitze.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM

Ehrwald is just beautiful. It's in a small circular shaped valley totally sourrounded by mountains. The backside of the Zugspitze looks unfamiliar, but just as spectacular. Both Ehrwald and Bieberwihr are great for skiing. If you have a choice go there instead of GP.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Robin,
We were in the Berchtesgaden area last fall and loved it! We stayed in Ramsau, which is about 15 minutes from Berchtesgaden and Konigssee.
We stayed at a wonderful place called the Mayringerlehen. The owners, Johann and Sabine are the best!
www.ramsau.de
www.ramsau.com
www.mayringerlehen.de
Oh, Salzburg as about 40 minutes away and we drove to Hallstatt for a day trip, about 1:30 min. each way. Wonderful scenery along the way.
IMO, I'd stay 3 nights in this area and 2 in the Fussen area before heading back to Munich.
Logos999 mentioned Ehrwald ...while you can go to the top of the Zugspitze from G-P, you can also go from Ehrwald, Austria. The cable car takes just 10 minutes to the top.

Paul
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

The Mayringerlehen looks fantastic and is what we're looking for. I just sent them an email (hopefully Englis works...) Another question for everyone out there- what are St Gilgen and St Wolfgang like? We are going to be there in the middle of May. Thanks again!
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
English will work at Mayringerlehen. Sabine speaks OK English and her husband Johann speaks very little, although he is a wonderfuly freindly person. They both are.
St Gilgen and St Wolfgang...Although we only drove through, on our way to Hallstatt, the scenery is gorgeous. Rolling hills, beautiful lakes and some mountains. Quintessential Austrian countryside. Hallstatt itself is a very nice town wedged against lake Hallstatt. Again, gorgeous scenery.
http://www.oberoesterreich.at/hallstatt/

Paul