Munich or Salzburg first night of trip

Jan 24th, 2002, 02:56 PM
lizabeth

Munich or Salzburg first night of trip

I am in the first stages of planning a trip to Germany and Austria later this year. My planned itinerary is to land in Munich, proceed by train to Salzburg, then to Vienna, and return to Munich for departure. If my flight to Munich arrives in the afternoon, is it realistic to go on to Salzburg for the first evening? Please let me know what the proximity of the airport and the rail station are to each other. I was thinking of two nights in Salzburg, three or four in Vienna, and then about a day and a half in Munich before departing for the United States. This would be my first trip to Central Europe. I speak some basic German, and can figure out written German (signs, etc.) o.k. Thanks!

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Art

Hi Lizabeth, if you are arriving mid to late afternoon, I would find a hotel near the airport than leave early for Salzburg. If you are arriving early, I would check the train schedule to see if I could get to Salzburg. Allow yourself time enough to get your luggage and clear customs.
Have a great trip.

Jan 24th, 2002, 05:27 PM
pam

Rail transfers from the Munich airport to the main train station take 40 minutes and cost about 8 Euros. Salzburg should be about 1.5 hours by rail from Munich. You can search train timetables at www.bahn.de. Yes, I think it is realistic. Weigh the benefits of sitting on the train and getting to Salzburg vs. getting out and walking, which might help lessen jet lag.

Jan 24th, 2002, 06:17 PM
s

lizabeth,

Here's the dissenting opinion. I recently returned from a trip to Salzburg, and I went directly to Salzburg from the Munich airport. I arrived at about 2.00 in the afternoon, and I was very happy to be in Salzburg by 5 in the evening. After a shower and dinner, I spent a few hours lost in the magic and beauty of Salzburg and walking off jet lag. I say go for it; you'll save one day's worth of unpacking and packing.

By the way, as you research the train schedules, be sure to input Munich airport as the point of origin. You'll get full schedule information, including track number at the airport and at the transfer point of Munich Ostbahn.

E-mail me if you want more info.

s

Jan 25th, 2002, 03:19 AM
xxx

It doesn't make much sense spending nights in Munich on arrival and departure. I entirely agree with "s" here. There are trains leaving the airport at least every hour. Trip time varies for 2:15 to 3 hours depending on departure hour and total ticket price is EUR 37.20/24.80 for 1st/2nd class.