Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich - Many questions! 4 women, 2 days in December

Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

We'll have 2 days in Munich before meeting our Holiday Market tour in Salzburg. We're all age 60ish. We haven't booked our hotel yet but have gotten some good ideas from other posts. If anyone has other suggestions, we welcome them! Reference was made by AisleSeat to a Bayern Ticket, 27e, transportation for up to 5 people to Salzburg, which we need to arrange. What is that?
Also, someone mentioned John's Bavarian Tours, which we will look into. Any other recommendations for hotels, tours, dining will be appreciated. We want to spend our money at the Holiday Markets, not on a hotel, but good location is important to us!
Thanks for your input.
Sep 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM

"Reference was made by AisleSeat to a Bayern Ticket, 27e, transportation for up to 5 people to Salzburg, which we need to arrange. What is that?"

You do not need to arrange to buy the ticket in advance. You just buy it from the ticket machine or the counter at the train station. I think that it is now 28 euros at the machine or 30 euros at the counter.

It is just a train ticket good for unlimited travel for upto 5 people for a day within the state of Bavaria (Bayern) on regional or local transportation. On week days you can not use it until after 9AM. You can check schedules as follows. I have found it easiest to use:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

From Munich
To Salzburg

Set the "Mode of transport" to "only local transport".

Input date, time and number of passengers. You will get a list of possible connections (straight through to Salzburg normally). The fare that you see under "Savings Fares" is the Bayern-Ticket. Again, there is no reason to buy this ticket on-line; just note the departure times buy it there.

Regards, Gary
Sep 23rd, 2009, 04:36 AM

We booked John for a full day private tour during the Christmas markets last year and it was a really great day! He picked us up and we stopped first at Linderhoff, then drove to a small village for a wonderful lunch, then went to Fussen where we enjoyed the castle from the distance as the walk was too difficult for my mother.

I highly recommend him.
Sep 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gary, for explaining that. The tour operator wants $50 per person for bus transportation to Salzburg. We can take the train for 28 euros total for all three of us!
Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:10 PM

Please note that use of the Bayern ticket or Bavarian ticket is NOT valid on trains labelled RJ, IC, EC or ICE. These are intercity express trains. You may travel on trains bearing the following prefixes: IRE, RE, RB and S-Bahn. Most buses are also included.

For example, if you wanted to travel from Munich to Kufstein, you will see these trains on the schedule between 9:30 and 10:00. At 9:31 train EC 85 leaves for Kufstein and Rimini, Italy. With a Bayern ticket you CANNOT ride this train for the Bayern Ticket price.

At 9:41 RB 30011 leaves for Rosenheim where you must change for Kufstein. The RB means Regionalbahn and the Bayern Ticket is valid on all trains bearing this prefix.

For Salzburg, the same set of restrictions applies.
You must take an RB, RE or IRE train; EC and RJ (rail jet) trains are not included under the terms of agreement for the Bayern Ticket. (ICE and IC trains are also not included.)

The local trains are usually slower because they make frequent stops and use older equipment.
Sep 23rd, 2009, 06:36 PM

the munich fair is fabulous and colorful....get a hotel as near to the town hall as possible...

i've stayed twice at the Platzl...
Sep 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

We're looking at the Fleming's Hotel. It's supposed to be 2 minutes from central station and 10 minutes from the market place. Is that near town hall and do you think it's a good choice?
Sep 25th, 2009, 10:22 AM

There are at least 3 Fleming's Hotels listed for Munich.

One is near the Main train station on Bayerstrasse and I assume that is yours. I think that it is closer to a 15-20 minute walk from Marienplatz. My wife and I are staying a similar distance from the town center at Sendlinger Tor. We do not mind the walk but will still buy day tickets for the Sbahn/Ubahn system.

There are several Christmas markets scattered around Munich and we expect to use the metro system to visit them.

http://www.muenchen.de/Rathaus/touri...s_Markets.html

A Partner Day Card (up to 5 people) for the metro system inner city zone is 9 euros. The inner city zone is quite large.

http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/en/home/index.html

Regards, Gary
Sep 29th, 2009, 04:01 PM

"You may travel on trains bearing the following prefixes: IRE, RE, RB and S-Bahn. Most buses are also included."

I don't know whether it's something new, but recently I was able to use the Bayern Ticket on ALX trains as well. I don't think they are particularly common, however.
Sep 29th, 2009, 04:32 PM

I took the RJ train to Salzburg a few days ago. It was my first time on that type. It only took one hour and 27 minutes from Munich to Salzburg. The train in 1st class was really nice. Unfortunately, it is not included on the Bayern ticket. I took the ALX from Munich to Lindau last year using the Bayern ticket.
Sep 29th, 2009, 04:53 PM

I'm not sure if this would be something you and your group would be interested in but check out Sandeman's Munich Tour. They have a free walking tour of Munich and run a couple of times a day. I unfortuately didn't know about it when I went last year so I can't comment on the quality and/or age group they caterer to but it's free and I'm sure you can always walk away if it isn't for you. Here's the link http://tinyurl.com/nhbad3
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:04 AM

"...recently I was able to use the Bayern Ticket on ALX trains as well. I don't think they are particularly common, however."

There are regional train networks in Germany as well as Die Bahn. They have different names for their regional trains. I believe that ALX is a name for a fast RE in the Allgaü region. The best way to see what trains can be use on the Bayern Ticket (or Rheinpfalz Ticket, etc.) is to look up the route on Die Bahn. Example

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

From Munich
To Salzburg

Set the "Mode of transport" to "only local transport".

If you change the mode to only local transport, the savings fare column will show Länder-Tickets (like the Bayern-Ticket), Happy weekend tickets or a new Quer-Durch-Land (Sp?)ticket if it works for the route.

Unfortunately, the Die Bahn site will not show fares for very local networks. Rothenburg is within Nürnberg's local network and you can travel all day between them for about 15 euros on a Tages-Ticket Plus but that fare will only be found on the local network website for Nürnberg.

There are a couple train experts on Trip Advisor that are local to Germany. When I am stuck on a cheaper fare, I post my question there and they can usually direct me to the right local network.

Regards, Gary
Sep 30th, 2009, 05:13 AM

It is the Quer-Durchs-Land Ticket. You can travel between Germany states on local transport for 34 euros for the first person and 5 euros for each additional person.

http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/reg...chs-land.shtml

Regards, Gary