Istanbul..Villa Zurich Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Turkey in October. We will stay in Sultanahmet for several days before driving south along the coast. Upon our return to Istanbul, I would like to spend a few days in another area of the city. Am considering Villa Zurich Hotel....does anyone know it and can advise on the hotel itself and the area around it? The price for a deluxe sea view double is 80E. I do not care about night life but do car about good eating places and safety above all. And some shopping..... Have been in Turkey before so do not need to concentrate too much on the regular "sights." The hotel is listed in TimeOut Guide Istanbul.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:17 AM

Dear Ekscrunchy,

Eventually, it is me again answering your question. To be honest I don't know the hotel. However, since it is a 4 star rate hotel, I can easily guess the quality of amenities. It should be a good hotel after all.

My main concern is not the hotel but the location. That area is quite busy and noisy with the locals and the tourists especially at night. Also there has been some mugging incidents recently. If I were you I would stay somewhere near Taksim Square where there is more police security presence and less noise. (There may be some objections from resident experts but I am talking about the newly arranged no vehicle zone next to Taksim square where you can find at least a dozen 4-5 star good quality hotels which cannot be compared with The Ritz Carlton, of course)

I personally prefer staying at Larespark when I go to Istanbul and have to stay in Taksim area.

http://www.laresparkhotel.com/

A gourmet tip for you. If you want to have "real" sea food in Istanbul, you should not miss this fish restaurant. It is a bit pricey but good value for money. It is quite near Villa Zurich Hotel in Cihangir area.

Doga Balik Lokantasi
Akarsu Yokusu Caddesi No: 46
Taksim Istanbul
Tel : 0 212 243 36 56

Old Aug 24th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes Asia Minor, it is you who responded and you who I had hoped would respond. I want to thank you once again for your time and patience with my barrage of questions regarding my upcoming visit.

That is very funny that you mentioned Doga Balik...I understand the entrance is off the lobby of the Villa Zurich Hotel! Now I have yet to check out the hotel you stay in while in Taksim area. The reason I asked about Villa Zurich (80 E. double sea view) is that I thought the area would offer good shopping and eating..in my guidebook the area is listed as popular with ex-patriates but still with a good neighborhood feel. I was interested also in the antiques shops close by...near the Galatasaray Lycee. But you have now put me off about the mugging thing. I will be alone for a night or two and although I am not a "night owl" I want to be able to walk safely from the dinner place back to the hotel. I must tell you I was assaulted in Sicily last May and it was not fun! And that was in the lobby of my hotel in the daytime!!!
Well back to the subject. I think I will invite you and your spouse/ partner/friend, for dinner at Doga Balik in October. How does that sound? Oh, I wrote an e-mail to Cem Mentin and await his reply about the van and the North Aegean trip. Hope to hear from him, and you as well!!!!
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Dear Ekscrunchy,

Don't mention it. It is what friends are for. It is really funny, because I have been to Doga Balik Restaurant a few times (all at night at dark) and entered it from some sort of a hotel lobby but never paid any attention to the name of the hotel. (Or another alternative is the fact that the name of the hotel may have been changed recently.)

I do not want you put off from the place. I was just talking about night time. During the day you can safely wander around the place (Cihangir area) and go to those antique shops without any problems.

If you decide for Larespark it is only 5-10 minutes walking distance from Zurich Hotel and Cihangir area.

Thank you for your invitation to dinner with my wife in Doga Balik but I will be returning from a long trip of Turkey back to Ankara in those days. However, I promise to join you not this year (3-13 Oct.) but next time you come to Turkey or to Ankara where I live.

With all good wishes
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Ekscrunchy,

One more thing, do not forget to read my post about the Blue voyage and gulets.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 03:32 AM

Dear Ekscrunchy,

It is a bit late, but here is the confirmation for Ayvacik local market. It is indeed on Friday and there is another one on Monday in Ezine and another one on Thursday in Ayvalik. I don't know which day(s) suit your itinerary.

By the way, Mr Cem Metin has told me that he had already prepared your quotation. However, he was not able to send that to you as his messages kept coming back. Your mail box may be full or there may have been some sort of technical problems. If you wish to write me directly, you can pick up my email address from Mr. Cem Metin.

With all good wishes.

P.S. There is a change in my programme and I will be in Istanbul at Larespark Hotel on 10 Oct. evening coming from Troy and Gallipoli. Who knows I may be able to see you then.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Asia Minor thanks for letting me know about Cem Mentin; I was wondering why I had not heard from him. I will write him again right now..I have been getting regular e-mail messages. I have written to LaresparkHotel so perhaps we will meet in October. Thank you so much for the information...I will post again in a few days. You can also e-mail me at [email protected].