Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich hotels for families (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-hotels-for-families-738862/)

girlonthego Sep 25th, 2007 01:11 PM

Munich hotels for families

Okay so I am getting some great leads on Paris hotels for families. I am looking for similar information for Munich.
We will have two nights in Munich and would like a/c, and a quad room. It seems many of the hotels are located outside the city? Also, many do not have a/c?
I would love some leads to check out. I have not seen anything doing a search here.
Thanks.

Christina Sep 25th, 2007 01:18 PM

I don't have any to recommend, but from my research last year, it is not common to find AC in German hotels, even in larger cities. I haven't been there enough to know, but maybe it doesn't get quite as hot as Paris on average -- it certainly can get hot, though. I stayed in a 4* hotel in Dresden that did not have AC -- I couldn't believe it, as it never occurred to me to ask about a 4* hotel. I was there in a real heat wave in July, but if you aren't going in summer, I wouldn't worry about it.

girlonthego Sep 25th, 2007 03:46 PM

We are going in the summer and so I would like to have A/c!!
But it is also hard to find quad rooms! We are four people, two adults two teens.

AisleSeat Sep 25th, 2007 03:56 PM

I don't know about AC but I think the Uhland has quads. Great hotel.

cmeyer54 Sep 25th, 2007 03:57 PM

We had a quad room at the sheraton arabella in bogenhausen; within 50 meters of a ubahn stop to marienplatz. worked for us very well.

girlonthego Sep 25th, 2007 05:07 PM

I reserved a room at the Munich Marriott because it has a/c and looks nice and was very reasonably priced. It also takes 4 to a room. It is just outside the city but a 15 minute train ride. So, I think we can handle it to be comfortable sleeping!
Thanks for the advice. If anyone has stayed at the Marriott recently, I will welcome reviews!

RGTraveler Sep 25th, 2007 06:19 PM

I second isleseat: The Hotel Uhland is a great, affordable hotel and we've stayed twice in a quad corner room. Located in a nice residential area about 15-20 minutes walk from Marienplatz; or about 3 minutes from a subway. If you're there for Oktoberfest; it's practically stumbling distance!

brennynp Sep 25th, 2007 07:07 PM

Also, check out the Hilton. We were in Munich a few years ago (family of 5) and before I knew any better, the travel agent booked us in a room with no a/c. Oh, the hotel had air but "not in every room". I was very surprised how many places in Germany did not have a/c/. We stayed one night and then fled to the Hilton. I think they have quad rooms, but do not know how their rates compared to the Marriott.

cmeyer54 Sep 25th, 2007 07:30 PM

I stayed at the marriott for business; easy walk (like less than 2 minutes) to the train station; just ask the concierge for a ubahn/sbahn map, circle where you are (at the marriott) and where you want to end up and its very simple to use. Marriott was fine; clean, quiet, typical Marriott.

girlonthego Sep 26th, 2007 02:59 AM

brenny: Was the room without a/c at the Marriott? I assumed it was an all a/c hotel.
Hilton did not offer 4 to a room. Most of the hotels that allowed 4 did not have a/c. I was looking at possibly 2 rooms, but that gets expensive.

girlonthego Sep 26th, 2007 03:00 AM

cmeyer: thanks for the positive review. Always nice to see a positive review right after you book! Trip advisor had both pos and neg ones. Nothing too bad though. Most reviews were good.

Dukey Sep 26th, 2007 03:49 AM

I am sure you made the right decision.

The Uhland, which is a favorite here, is not air conditioned and in Munich when it gets HUMID you'll be glad you have it.

Reisender Sep 26th, 2007 10:44 AM

Munich Marriott is a fine hotel and you will not regret booking it. There is a U-Bahn station just down the street and around the corner (5 minutes). Good rooms and nice quite area.

:)

DAX Sep 26th, 2007 01:12 PM

I agree with above posters, Marriott is a great value hotel in the summer. In cooler weather Renaissance offers even better value but it has no AC throughout the entire hotel. They are practically across the street from each other. The only downside is the immediate area is not just quiet but more like DEAD. You have to walk far to get the livelier part of Schwabing. At least the U bahn can take you to most places you want to go. It is also worth mentioning that there is a subtle difference between staying in the heart of things and staying rather removed from things where you have to commute with the U bahn.

jasmine3 Sep 26th, 2007 07:22 PM

We stayed in a "family room" in July at the Hotel Uhland. Someone posted it was not air conditioned?
The room we stayed in WAS indeed airconditioned. We loved everything about this hotel. The room was a great size and the staff were wonderful.