Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-hotels-684100/)

Skaye Mar 1st, 2007 01:24 PM

Munich Hotels

Does anyone have a favorite hotel recommendation for Munich hotel accessible to as many "sights" as possible, large bedroom and bathroom. Thank you

jdfirst Mar 1st, 2007 01:27 PM

Stayed at the Hotel Ludwig opposite the train station. Hotels in Europe do not have large rooms, unless you are willing to pay. Read reviews at tripadvisor.com.

Dukey Mar 1st, 2007 01:40 PM

Larger rooms at LeMeridien also opposite the train station..the typical LeMeridien property. It is sometimes discounted through HotelBook or Utell

Another possibility is Hotel Acanthus which is well-located with access to public transport and within walking distance of some sights.

J_Correa Mar 1st, 2007 01:51 PM

We stayed at the Kings Hotel First Class on Dachauer Strasse, which is about a block from the main train station. The room and the bathroom were small though.

We also stayed at the Hotel Laimerhof on Laimer Strasse near the Nymphenberg Palace, which is away from the center of the city, but with the public transportation in Munich, it was very convinient. It is within the central public transportation zone. The room and bathroom we had at this hotel was larger than at the Kings Hotel.

bob_brown Mar 1st, 2007 01:53 PM

My wife and I have visited Munich several times in the last 7 years because we have friends there. We stay at a small hotel in Schwabing called the Astoria. It is on Nicolaistrasse just off of the main street through Schwabing, Leopoldstrasse.

The hotel is about half a city block from the Gieselastrasse U-Bahn station. Marienplatz, which is the heart of Munich, is the 4th stop south. Travel time is perhaps 10-12 minutes, certainly no more.

The room we use, which is one of the more expensive ones, is still reasonable and it is large; by European standards it is very large. The breakfast at the Astoria, included in the room price, is fabulous. You could easily eat 4,000 calories for breakfast with cheeses, breads, jogurts, cereals, meats, and sweets!

The staff is first class, and all the regulars during the day speak very good English for tourist purposes. They live in the area and seemingly know everything about transportation and places to eat around the hotel.

Which reminds me, we will be there in August. If I want my pet room, I better ask NOW! Thanks for reminding me.

NeoPatrick Mar 1st, 2007 02:05 PM

Our first trip to Munich we stayed at the atmospheric Platzl Hotel. We liked it. But when looking a couple years ago, I couldn't believe how expensive it was. For considerably less we booked a beautiful room at the above mentioned LeMeridien, almost opposite the train station on an internet special. It was a beautiful hotel (without old German atmosphere).

Dukey Mar 1st, 2007 02:21 PM

Skaye,

You do not say when you will be visiting.

The Platzl, as cited by Neo, is in an absolutely ideal location IMO but as I recall it is not air conditioned.

It can be VERY humid in Munich in the Summer and if that is when you are going I would definitely recommend A/C.

If not going at that time, then not as problematic.

J_Correa Mar 1st, 2007 02:47 PM

We were in Munich during the heatwave last summer - and didn't have AC. It wasn't a big deal for us, but I think if people are used to climate controlled houses at home, then AC is probably a good idea.

logos999 Mar 1st, 2007 02:53 PM

No big deal for me either. Living comfortably here, never having thought about buying or needing A/C. 99.9% of the year it's cold! :-) Enjoy the few warmer days like everybody else does. A/C in Munich is just crazy.

Skaye Mar 1st, 2007 02:56 PM

Fodorites are absolutely FANTASTIC!! We are going Sept 5 - 12 - well before the Oktoberfest! I was there in the late 50's!! OK.. how about your favorite restaurants??

logos999 Mar 1st, 2007 02:58 PM

>favorite restaurants??
I could tell you, but you're not going to go there anyway ;-)

Rastaguytoday Mar 1st, 2007 07:58 PM

I hope you narrow down your request. What type of hotel?

On business I used to stay at the Kempinski Vier Jahreszeiten, which was a 5 minute walk to the Marienplatz, and a short walk to the major beer halls.

This place wasn't / isn't cheap, or enven moderate, but has a great location on Maximillanstrasse.

If you can afford it, ask for one of the original rooms, my favorite. The bathroom is the depth of the entire room. The hotel goes back to 1852.

I met Willaim Danforth Prince in the sauna. He has been one of Frommer's resident critics. He told me about a couple of newly 'hot' restaurants that were all great, and impossible to get into 6 months later.

DAX Mar 2nd, 2007 05:40 AM

We are planning a double stay in Munich just the week before. We are booked at the newish Hotel Anna on Karlsplatz and return to the Koenigshof which is also on Karlsplatz. It will be our 6 or 7 th visit into Munich and we like Karlsplatz because it's walking distance to both Marienplatz and the train station for easy access. Have a look at www.annahotel.de. It's the modern sister of Koenigshof with reportedly larger rooms. We also considered Sofitel Bayerpost but we prefer to avoid staying in the sleazy train station district. Karlsplatz seems to be much cleaner and yet it's close enough to get to the train station to hop to the surrouding towns. We've stayed at Le Meridien a couple of times and really liked the hotel but didn't care for the immediate surrounding (sex shops). Our favorite area is Maximilianstrasse but we really disliked the Kempinski rooms except for the junior suite which was just OK. In the 1990's we stayed 3 times at the City Hilton nextdoor to the Gasteig where there is a lot of cultural performances. We enjoyed being able to walk to a show and also having the hotel indoor elevator access to the underground especially in the cold winter when we had to schlep (that's an American word now) our suitcase to the airport. It's just outside of the oldtown beyond the Deutsches Museum.

DAX Mar 2nd, 2007 05:45 AM

For restaurants, check this website:
http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich...staurants.html

It's hard to judge other people's recommendations because they may not have the same taste preferences & budgets.

Dukey Mar 2nd, 2007 05:48 AM

I can somewhat echo DAX' comments about the Hilton Munich City and its convenient location above the Rosenheimer Platx S-Bahn station.

The so-called 'seediness" of the area immediately adjacent to the main RR station has emerged before.

Yes, there is at least one sex shop across the street from LeMeridien and there are a bunch of ethic-type restaurants in the area as well.

However, if the presence of sex shops is a real issue then i suggest you close your eyes as you walk to the Marienplatz because you'll be walking by one of the lagest sex emporia in the area, the Beate Uhse place.

Apparently its presence has not diminished the popularity of the overall area.

NeoPatrick Mar 2nd, 2007 06:23 AM

A correction to a post above:

All the standard rooms at the Hotel Platzl are air-conditioned.

http://www.platzl.de/english/index.html

marketsquare Apr 6th, 2007 06:08 PM

My sister & I had a superior twin room at Hotel Platzl in Sept 2006 for E210 per night, I think. The location could not be better, the Hofbrauhaus is just behind the hotel. The room was large compared to others on that trip; an entrance area with a large closet, the good-size bathroom off to the right, the bedroom off to the left with a couch, chair, table, desk plus the 2 beds. The hotel breakfast was wonderful, a buffet that stretched completely across the room with everything you could think of. There is an interesting restaurant just down the street, I think the name is Haxnbauer, something like that. It has racks of pork knuckles roasting in the picture window. Have fun!

jdraper Apr 6th, 2007 06:36 PM

We stayed at Hotel Uhland in Munich last October and have booked it again for October 2007. Do a search and you will find many recommendations on this site. It is not right in the middle of things but is only a 10 minute walk to the Ubahn. Very large room, comfortable bed, free loan of bycicles if you are interested, internet available and a very nice breakfast included in the cost of the room. Less than 100E per night. I highly recommend this hotel.

Restaurant suggestions:
Ratskeller - In Marienplatz, great service, typical German food in a very nice atmosphere. Dessert was wonderful.
Augustiner's - Again, good sausages and schnitzel for an excellent price with a good atmosphere.

JN Apr 7th, 2007 10:39 AM

If you type "Munich Restaurants" into the search box, you will find dozens of threads with restaurant recommendations.

noe847 Apr 8th, 2007 01:54 AM

An idea of your budget would certainly help any meaningful hotel recommendation. When we went to Munich, we stayed at the Hotel Opera. The rooms were lovely, and we really liked the location just off Maximillianstrasse. Took a taxi from the train station, and otherwise walked the 10 minutes to Marienplatz. I booked it through Venere.com, but I wouldn't call it budget by any means.