Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

munich hotel near hauptbahnhof or marien-platz?

Nov 24th, 2000, 04:54 PM
mast

hi!
shall we stay in a hotel near hauptbahnhof or marien platz?we are worried that it might not be safe near the train station (as some guide books stated) if we return at night. But we also read some posts which stongly recommended staying in a hotel near station for the conveniences (we will be taking a night train to berlin after munich). any advice and recommendation?

thanks!

mast

Nov 27th, 2000, 12:19 AM
Paige

I recommend staying near Marienplatz, the Viktualienmarkt or Odeonsplatz. These areas are a lot more personable than Hauptbahnhof. The area around Hauptbahnhof is safe but not so nice. There are very easy train connections from Marienplatz to Hbf or you could always take a cab, probably for 10dm.

Nov 27th, 2000, 04:52 AM
xxx

We stayed at the InterCity right at the Hauptbahnhoff. Couldn't be beat for convenience. The hotel itself is nice. The area is safe but has no charm or character. However, we did not expect our "charm" in a metropolitan area. We toured what we wished in Munich and otherwise, used it for a base to other locations. Decide what your pupose is before making a decision and I'm sure you'll choose right.

Nov 27th, 2000, 05:19 AM
Paige

I may be biased since I live here, but I think Munich has lots of charm. I can see how one might have that opinion if they stayed near Hauptbahnhof and didn't explore the rest of the city. The areas I mentioned above are in the heart of the old city with pedestrian zones, lots of good shops and restaurants and interesting places to walk around. I wouldn't recommend staying near Hbf unless you either don't want to take a taxi or the local trains or you only plan to use it as a transportation hub. The area around Hbf is somewhat seedy (lots of sex shops) and ugly but still safe. There are so many nicer places to stay in Munich that it seems a shame to stay by the station!

Nov 27th, 2000, 06:51 AM
mast

Hi Paige!
any recommendation of hotels?
somebody recommended hotel uhland, which is close to the tollwood winter festival, do you know this hotel well?

mast

Nov 27th, 2000, 12:14 PM
rita

We stayed in October at the Hotel Monaco near the hauptbahnhof -- nice hotel and great staff and superclean(but NOISY -- first investment after one night there were earplugs!) Agree with comments that area around the hauptbahnhof is totally safe but seedy and next time will certainly look for something near Marienplatz (transportation connections to there are no problem at all.) Our suggestion whatever area you pick -- make sure it is on a quiet street.

Nov 27th, 2000, 02:08 PM
alan

Hi! Have you considered the Am Markt by the Viktulienmarkt. There are food stalls and beer gardens there during the day but the nights are quiet. It is very close to the main pedestrian area. The staffff when we were there a few yrs. ago spoke English. The dining room was the best part of the hotel, furnished in antiques. The rooms were reasonably priced and it is a nice area. I have also stayed by the hbf and had a perfectly safe stay. I cannot remember the neame other than it was across from a much fancier hotel and up a flight of stairs witha jewelry store on the ground level. We stayed there twice and had no problems either. It may lack charm but the Turkish cafeteria down the street is great. Enjoy alan

Nov 27th, 2000, 11:50 PM
Paige

Sorry, I don't know any hotels here! I've never stayed in one and all of our visitors stay with us. The one mentioned above, Am Markt, looks interesting and is in a great location. I still think you should pick a cool location over the convenience of Hauptbahnhof. You can always take a taxi to and from the station if you have a lot of luggage.

Nov 28th, 2000, 07:59 AM
xxx

Yikes! Didn't mean to imply that Munich had no charm. Just meant that in our opinion, convenience far outweighed atmosphere at this point in our trip.

Nov 28th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Robin

Hi: We stayed at the Pension Seibel which was a block away from the market and the Marienplatz. It was clean, very reasonable and had a breakfast. Have fun. Munich is great. Be sure and take a Mike's Bike Tour.
Robin

Dec 7th, 2000, 04:16 AM
Donna

I stayed at the Hotel Uhland - it's a great place, convenient location. Plus, you can make the arrangements on the web and they speak english. The web site is http://www.hotel-uhland.de/enwelcome.html

Dec 8th, 2000, 12:53 AM
Melissa

I was one who recommended the Hotel Uhland, and I can't say enough good things about them. I mean, it's not the Four Seasons, but such a great value for the hospitality that you receive!! They also provide free internet connection/email for guests. My niece and I also liked their breakfast. Cheap, friendly, clean, good location, fluent English. What more could you ask for?

Dec 31st, 2000, 10:55 AM
carolyn

Hi - we stayed at the Munich Marriott in Schwabing and really enjoyed it. We got a great deal on the net - $115 for a night and it included full breakfast for 2. It was comfortable and a block from the subway station, so we had easy access to Marienplatz.

Jan 6th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Janis

We stayed at the Hotel Excelsor last summer. We arrived by train from Zurich. We didn't want to fool with baggage handlers, cabs or anything since we would be there for 5 days and then off again by train. It is just out side of the Haupbaunhof. It is on Schutzenstrasser. It is a pedestrian street. It was very safe. There are several restaurants in the same block, a pharmacy, and a huge department store. It is an easy walk straight down Schutzenstrasser to the Marienplatz. The hotel is old world charm and very nice. email: [email protected]