Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

MUNICH: Hotel Bayerischer Hof vs Hotel Königshof Münchens.

Dec 4th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Planning a trip to Munich in late spring. I've narrowed my hotel choices to the Hotel Königshof München and the Hotel Bayerischer Hof. I've read mixed reviews about the Bayerischer Hof. I gather a lot depends on room category. Any feedback on either property would be appreciated.
Dec 4th, 2005, 02:04 PM

I stayed at the Bayerischer Hof over Thanksgiving 2002 for a really great rate, large breakfast included. I thought the hotel was beautiful. I dont' remember my room but I was pleased with it. I dont' know anything about the other hotel but think Bayerischer Hof is one of the two top hotels in Munich,
Dec 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM

check out the manadarin oriental munich, excellent. same class hotel.
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

I tried... Manadarin Oriental was booked. I must say that I an liking the service I've gotten from the Hotel Königshof.I e-mailed with a question about room category and someone from the hotel took the time to phone. They seem very eager to please. My only concern is the room. I've booked a deluxe double but I'm not quite sure of how large and deluxe these rooms are.
Dec 5th, 2005, 01:29 AM

Since they have been so great with the "service" so far I would e-mail or call and ASK them the room size.
Dec 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM

ttt
Dec 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM

If both hotels offer similar rates, I would definitely prefer the Bayr. Hof. I consider it a coupleof cuts above the Koenigshof Both have central locations, but the Bayr. Hof is located in a quieter location; the Koenigshof is overlooking the Stachus, aka Karlsplatz, a major "turntable" of Munich traffic and public transport. The Bayr. Hof is about 5 min. walk from the Koenigshof, but closer to the Marienplatz, Dom (cathedral). There is a streetcar stop about 2 minuteswalk from B.H.
Dec 6th, 2005, 04:26 AM

I have stayed in both hotels and both are wonderful. The Konigshof is smaller, with a more "homey" feel to it. We stayed in the same category room you are looking at and it was marvelous...very roomy (sitting area), immaculately clean, gorgeous bathroom, all amenities, etc. Service at the Konigshof is, indeed, exmplary. I would not hesitate to stay at the Konigshof, but only if the Bayr. Hof were not available.

The Bayerischer Hof is a world-class hotel and for good reason. Yes, the rooms can tend to be on the small side, depending on the category you book, but they are still lovely. The hotel offers numerous restaurants, lounges, nightclub, etc. We especially like Trader Vic's, if you like Polynesian food. Their breakfast buffet is also terrific.

While the Bayr. Hof is much larger than the Konigshof, we have enjoyed personalized and very friendly service there. We are greeted by name, in the nightclub, every time we go there...even if we're not staying in the hotel. Amazing!

The location of the Bayerischer Hof is very convenient to the Marienplatz, while the Konigshof offers easy access to the Hauptbahnhof and about a 5-min. walk further afield from the Marienplatz than the Bayr.

All in all, you can't go wrong at either hotel. Just depends on your personal preferences. However, if it were me...I'd go with the Bayerischer Hof.

Valarie

Dec 8th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Valarie, Thanks again. You told me just what I needed to know. Besides, I asked the Bayerischer Hof what the difference would be between the superior and deluxe double. There wasn't that much difference in size but they said that if I prefered a renovated room then I should opt for the deluxe at 100,00 EURO per night more. 382,00 vs 250,00 at the Königshof. No contest!