Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich hotel! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-hotel-715508/)

Jake_61247 Jun 23rd, 2007 04:08 PM

Munich hotel!

Hello all! My wife and I are going to be in Munich for a few days in mid September. We're taking a night train in, staying 2 nights, and then a night train out. Not Sure where to look (area) for hotels. Also We want to see the Neuschwansen castles and Dachau. can that be done in 1 day without being stretched to thin? We want to rent a car and drive over to regensburg and up to Nurnburg, stoping in Hohenfels(my wife lived there as a little girl). This is about 300-350 mile drive. I know this leaves little time to experience nurnburg or regensburg. She really wants to see hohenfels and we thought it would be relaxing to just drive around germany a little.Any ideas or sugestions you guys have for the hotel/area or anything you see i may be missing or doing wrong would be of great help

Any advice that you guys could give would be much appreciated

scatcat Jun 23rd, 2007 04:17 PM

Hotels in Munich may be hard to find in mid September. I will be in Munich on Sept.13 and there is a big convention starting on that day and lasting through the next week. The hotel where I always stay is fully booked. The clerk there told me that all the Munich hotels will be booked up.

DAX Jun 23rd, 2007 04:18 PM

The Oktoberfest will double the hotel room prices in mid September. You need to stste your budget to help us recommend the right hotels.

Jake_61247 Jun 23rd, 2007 04:26 PM

Ouch I know Octoberfest would hit the pocket books, but didn't count on conventions. Well, I bugeted about $150-175/night for the hotel but i can go up tp $200 if need be.

Cowboy1968 Jun 23rd, 2007 04:27 PM

As DAX has mentioned, Oktoberfest may be a problem. It will start Sep 22, and you will find few hotels that offer at least some value for money.

If you will travel Sep 22 or later, and staying in Munich is not a total must, you can also stay in Augsburg (1hr west of Munich). Also a very nice historic town with many trains going back and forth to Munich each hour.
http://www.regio-augsburg.de/wwweng/.../frameset.html

Jake_61247 Jun 23rd, 2007 04:32 PM

we are going to be there sept.15-17

bob_brown Jun 23rd, 2007 04:56 PM

I think Dachau and Neuschwanstein in one day would stretch it. Dachau is north of the city; Neuschwanstein is west and a little south.

Neuschwanstein is one of those places that looks better from the outside. Most of the inside was never finished.

Having done it once, I would not repeat it.

DAX Jun 23rd, 2007 09:40 PM

The big trade show goes all the way through Sept 20. All the rooms cost more than $200, closer to $300-500. You may want to consider staying in Fuessen if you want to see Neuschwanstein, then make a stop in Dachau on your way to Nurnberg.

Jake_61247 Jun 24th, 2007 01:18 PM

Yeah looks like poor planning on my part. hmm! well ok here are the 3 things We want to do/see: 1) see hohenfels. 2) dachau 3)castles. we are scheduled to take a night train out of Paris on Friday night and a night train out of Munich to Venice Monday night. I haven't bought rail tickets yet so it is still open a little. Anyone have an Idea how I can see these things still? I can leave Paris one day earlier if need be. Thaks guys. I am going crazy trying to figure this out.

kfusto Jun 24th, 2007 01:21 PM

I used Priceline last trip and got the Le Meridien for 100 US per night. Excellent hotel and right across from station.

We did a daytrip to Dachau and it ate up most of the day. I do not think you can do it and the castles both unless you do a fly by.

jdraper Jun 24th, 2007 01:47 PM

Dachau took us about 3/4 of a day and the castles took about 1/2 of a day, including driving time from Munich. I don't think it is possible to see both on the same day unless you really rush through both, which I don't think I would want to do. I second the suggestion to stay near Fussen to avoid the high cost of hotels in Munich at that time. That will allow you to have a leisurly day seeing the castles and see Dachau as a stop along your road trip. Enjoy, this sounds like a wonderful trip once you get the logistics worked out.

Cowboy1968 Jun 24th, 2007 01:51 PM

Pretty tough question - I don't envy you.

I have also checked some German websites like Priceline, and none of them had a decent hotel for less than 200 a night (DAX already commented on the convention and high prices).

So, to come back to my first suggestion, you could get off your night train from Paris already in Augsburg (40mls west of Munich) and set up your base there.

The castles are in easy reach (by car) from there: just a straight shot south on Hwy 17.
Dachau (which is more or less a suburb of Munich) is less than one hour by car on Autobahn 8. If you want to see downtown Munich, too, you won't necessarily have to drive as there is also a rail connection every 10-20 minutes.

But you cannot do Dachau AND the castles in one day, no matter if you stay in Munich, Augsburg, or elsewhere.

When you will take your wife to Hohenfels, it might be an option to skip Nürnberg and
a) spend more time Regensburg (which is much nicer and historic than Nürnberg) or
b) spend some time on the byways back to Munich or Augsburg and see the Danube and Altmühl Valley, which are also pretty scenic.. try Kelheim or Weltenburg abbey as search phrases.

Sorry that this is not much help re. the Munich hotel issue.

Jake_61247 Jun 24th, 2007 02:37 PM

Oh NO need to apologize. All of you are helping my greatly. I will see Dachau and the castles on different days now. I thinking i need to rent a car. With a car I figure I can do this alot easier.

emt Jun 24th, 2007 03:37 PM

Hotel Torbrau in Munich was great when I was there about three years ago. It's located right inside the city "wall" and was in your price range, if I remember correctly.

I don't think there's any way you can do Dachau and the castles in one day - but both are very worth a visit, in my opinion.

DAX Jun 24th, 2007 07:00 PM

Jake I found quite a few hotel rooms still available in Munich at www.hrs.de
If you hurry they still have a double room for 79 euro including breakfast for your dates.

DAX Jun 24th, 2007 07:03 PM

I should have given the english website: www.hrs.com