Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-hotel-312760/)

Jeffdavis May 1st, 2003 01:58 PM

Munich Hotel

I'm planning a trip to Munich this fall. Our travel agent would like to put us in the Le Meridien near the train station. I'm not familiar with this hotel group. What do you think? I'm also looking for a mid-price hotel inside the ring in Vienna.
Thanks,
Jeff

Bootman4U May 1st, 2003 02:02 PM

The LeMeridien in Munich is a relatively new hotel...I think built within the last year and is directly across from the main train station. The LeMeridien group has a website and you can get to the spcific Munich property from there.

weaverm May 1st, 2003 02:19 PM

We are going to stay at the Hotel Mariandl (www.hotelmariandl.com), which appears to be a charming old inn with the oldest Mozart music cafe on the ground floor. On Goethestrasse. See Fodor's hotel list. We prefer inns that have history/charm rather than modern hotels--and don't care about having TV in the room (as long as the room is en suite).

Queenie May 1st, 2003 08:04 PM

We stayed at the Munich Le Meridien in March 2002, about 1 week after it had opened.

It is not a new building, I believe Le Meridien took it over and completely renovated it. It is quite lovely and upscale.

It is directly across from the hauptbahnhof, and 1 block from U stations.

The rooms are large, and the bathroom large with tub and separate shower. Flat screen TV's and great contemporary furniture (wanted to take some home - how often do you say that about a hotel room).

I think we paid 79 Euro as it was the first week - got a free drink at the bar and breakfast - which was also extensive and good.
I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Bootman4U May 2nd, 2003 12:50 AM

Queenie:

Thanks very much for you reply to this post. We are staying in the hotel when we get to Munich later this month. Your description was just detailed enough to answer all of my own remaining questions about the property. Cheers!

Jeffdavis May 2nd, 2003 04:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. Looks like we will give Le Meridien a go.
Jeff

SallyClare May 2nd, 2003 04:12 AM

Jeff, I have also stayed at this hotel in October last year. Very upscale and new, opposite the train station and easy to get everywhere from there. I would stay there again in a heartbeat. Enjoy Munich!!

maryanne1 May 2nd, 2003 05:11 AM

We are staying at the Le Meridien next week so I am happy to hear these good remarks about the hotel. Did any of you who stayed there eat breakfast in the hotel? What about the restaurant connected to the hotel? Any one eat there? Is there a coffeemaker in the room? What is a good room in the hotel that is noiseless? Any other suggestions about the hotel welcome as we will arrive May 7.

maryanne1 May 2nd, 2003 10:02 AM

ttp.

Slappy May 2nd, 2003 10:53 AM

Anything near the main train station is a great location to stay, proximity wise to Oktoberfest (I'm assuming tht's one of the reasons you are going there in the fall - trust me, it's worth an extended visit) as well as downtown Munich and the Hoffbrauhaus is a nice, short walk...enjoy.