Munich and Salzburg with kids....late April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2018, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've decided to head to Munich and Salzburg in late April 2019. Yes, we will be there for Easter weekend. I'll need to use caution with planning and what will/won't be open on various days of the holiday weekend.

I think we will land in Munich on Thursday April 26 and depart Munich on Friday May 4. We may be able to add a day or two.

The flight lands at 645am. Because of that, I'm thinking of taking the train to Salzburg and starting our trip there for 4-5 nights. Then we will finish with 4 nights in Munich.

We will have our 9&10 year old boys with us. The ten year old wants to see Neuschwanstein. I didn't even know he knew it existed, but when I said Germany, it was the first thing out of his mouth. I was also thinking they would enjoy the salt mines and maybe hangar 7. Is the BMW factory worth it?
Hohensalzburg is on the must list.

Knowing we have energetic kids with us, what are some attractions you'd recommend. I've been reading thru many trip reports and they are geared towards teens and above. The boys are easy to travel with and enjoy a variety of things, but places they can be hands on are better.

We also enjoy hiking and would like to do some of that....maybe on holidays when places are closed.

I do have two guide books coming in the mail.

Last edited by rizzo0904; Jul 28th, 2018 at 04:40 AM.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 06:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Schloss Hellbrunn might be a possibility in Salzburg

https://www.hellbrunn.at/en/
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 07:17 AM

Take a look at Mike's Bike Tour's for Neuschwanstein. We did that last September and it was a lot of fun. Basically you ride the coach bus out and grab a bike and do a short bike ride to Swan Lake. Then go to lunch, then up to Neuschwanstein, then bus back to Munich. We had our kids with us (they are in their 20's) and we all had a great time, but don't worry it would be fine for younger kids too.

We also rented bikes from Mike's one day in Munich and spent the day riding all over the English Gardens. That was a hit as well, and we stopped at several beer gardens for drinks/snacks.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dukey1
Schloss Hellbrunn might be a possibility in Salzburg

https://www.hellbrunn.at/en/
Yes! Thank you! I couldn't remember the name of the place with trick fountains. I know they'd love it there.

Originally Posted by mms
Take a look at Mike's Bike Tour's for Neuschwanstein. We did that last September and it was a lot of fun. Basically you ride the coach bus out and grab a bike and do a short bike ride to Swan Lake. Then go to lunch, then up to Neuschwanstein, then bus back to Munich. We had our kids with us (they are in their 20's) and we all had a great time, but don't worry it would be fine for younger kids too.

We also rented bikes from Mike's one day in Munich and spent the day riding all over the English Gardens. That was a hit as well, and we stopped at several beer gardens for drinks/snacks.
I've been eyeing Mike's. The Neuschwanstein trip sounds like fun. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 11:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We liked the Hotel Uhland B&B in Munich, which has a 'family room' that was good for our family of four. It is a modernized boutique hotel in a nice neighborhood, near the Oktoberfest park. They offer free bicycles, and the neighborhood is good for exploring. About a 10 minute walk to the train station.
https://www.hotel-uhland.de/en/home/

Last edited by MoBro; Jul 28th, 2018 at 11:39 AM.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 08:19 AM

Trains/buses or car? Taking train Munich to Salzburg use the bargain Bavarian ticket where all of you can travel on regional trains for about 35 euros or so - not high-speed trains but regional trains don't take that much longer and save a ton. Can easily day trip by train to Fussen with Bavarian ticket and travled unlimited on regional trains there and back and mini-bus or taxi to Neuschwanstein. Don't need car for your plans and cars and cities not much fun. Salzburg consider taking postal bus to the nearby Lakes Disrict just east of town - about an hour away and head for St Wolfgang on a lovely lake and take steam train up mountain and do easy walk down - this is also called The Sound of Music Country. For lots on trains and public transports check www.bahn.de/en; www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com. Check out Englischer Gardens in Munich - huge park - famous Chinese Pagoda is a great outdoor beer garden with many families.