Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich & Salzburg in 4/98. Should we also do Vienna, Prague, or Budapest?

Old Jan 1st, 1998, 07:10 PM
Roy Willis

We are going with a group to Munich & Salzburg in April '98. Would like ideas about staying over and going also to Vienna, Prague, &/or Budapest. Please share your experience with us.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 01:07 AM
joelle

It all depends on how much time you can spend there. I would say that you should visit the other towns. My personal preference goes to Prague and Budapest. Both towns have more character and atmosphere than Vienna, for instance, that I found a bit disappointing.

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 05:15 AM
Maira

Roy: Agree with Joelle. If I had time to only visit one of the three, I would go to Prague. It is absolutely one of the most beautiful cities in Europe. Cheap lodging could be hard to find, but everything else (food, sightseeing) is very reasonable. Prague Castle, the Town Hall, St. Vitus Cathedral are must-see.

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 04:19 PM
peg

Roy, don't miss Prague, one of the most beautiful cities anywhere. Budapest is a place that takes a while to realise the potential,I think in a few years it will be one of the most stunning cities in Europe. Don't take a train directly between Prague and Budapest without a transit visa for Slovakia or you will get hauled of the train at the border. Public transport in Vienna, Prague and Budapest is safe, cheap, frequent and fun. The only way to get around. Enjoy. Peg

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 07:31 PM
Dan

Roy - in 1994 we had two weeks to visit Prague, Vienna, Salzburg and Munich (in that order) and felt we had adequate time to spend in all four. We had a car which we rented at Frankfurt and did a big clockwise route, saying one night each in Rothenburg and Heidelburg after Munich. We had three days in Prague and it was everything the other writers said it was. If you like jazz and/or blues,so do the Czechs and there were some good night clubs featuring both - one called "Reduta" comes to mind. The Charles Bridge in the early morning was stunning with great photo ops. We stayed at a moderate-to-expensive hotel called "U Pava" just a block or to from the bridge (you can find info on it on the Net when searching for accomodations in Prague). Food and everything else was cheap. We were tempted to go to Budapest but didn't want to sacrifice time in the other locales. I was not at all disappointed in Vienna - it's more westernized than the others but still beautiful and easy to navigate - we got SRO tickets to the State Opera one night, hit a few good coffee houses and the imperial palaces and gardens, etc. I'm hoping we can visit Budapest in a few years - we're going to Rome in a few weeks so that takes care of our foreign travels 'til 2000 or so.

Old Jan 3rd, 1998, 04:51 AM
Helena

At the risk of sounding strange, I had an interesting reaction to Vienna in relation to Prague and other cities. Vienna says to me "I'm the seat of the Holy Roman Empire, and I'm here to impress with my grandeur." It's a "strong" place. Prague, on the other hand, says "come on in," and feels welcoming - in the architecture, the cityscape, everything. I found the contrast interesting, and I would recommend seeing both. Vienna's sites are stunning in their grandeur. Prague's sites are stunning in their detail. See both, and you'll understand. Regarding your other cities - they're all nice, and everywhere you can see great things, but I'd rank them thus: Prague (hometown fan), Salzburg, Vienna, Budapest, Munich. Salzburg was, to me, the epitomy of charming Austria. Vienna is grand Austria. Budapest feels different than anywhere else in the region (and look at all the pock marks from guns and shells still visible from WWII and the Hungarian uprising in the fifties). Munich is a bit like Vienna, but not so amazing as to have to go there. Incidentally, the highways from Munich to Prague have been improved, and you can get between the two cities in less than five hours. Have fun, see it all, take lots of photos, and label them so the trip doesn't all blend together.

Old Jan 30th, 1998, 02:03 AM
freddy

roy, if you have a group with you and have 10 or 12 days . i would suggest you book a tour with trafalgar tours , who can fit all the cities in, and much cheaper then you can do . because all the cities you want to see are worth seeing one more then another but all different .

Old Jan 30th, 1998, 10:44 AM
Sasha

Prague is beautiful

Old Feb 6th, 1998, 09:54 PM
Scott

Hi Sasha!
Do you know anything about Tom's Travel, a travel agency in Prague? Their web site is www.travel.cz
Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Scott