Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich and Frankfurt have thrown me for a loop! Looking for a place to stay...

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 03:56 PM
Maria

We are travelling to Germany for a short trip and would like to stay in/around Munich and Frankfurt but, we are having a tough time deciding where we should stay.

Our plan is to drive from Rothenburg early in the morning towards Munich... While in the area, we plan to see Dachau, Neuscwanstein and Hohenschwangau, the Hofbrahaus (I know it is touristy-but, we are tourists!!) and Bertchesgaden. (Yes, we will have a car...) We are thinking 2 days should do it???

From this area, we will be heading towards the Rhine region. (So, the last night I would think we would want to stay somewhere south/east of the city near the castles...) We are completely flexible as to whether we stay in Munich or, outside the city.

(By the by...We do not speak German although, we are not afraid to try!)

My thoughts... On our way down from Rothenburg, visit Dachau, go to Marienplatz and Hofbrahaus. Then, stay inside the city or, west of the city (where?!) and visit Bertchesgaden the next day. Head back towards Munich spend the night (where?!) and visit the castles early in the morning...then take the day and travel up to the Rhine.

After spending one night on the Rhine (castle hotel...romantic...) We want to head more towards Frankfurt for our last night because we have a mid-morning flight back to DC... Although, we want to go to Sachsenhausen in Frankfurt, we do not need to stay in the city this last night, just within 20 or, so minutes of the airport...

FYI...We will be in the Munich area on a Friday and Saturday night and in the Frankfurt area on a Monday night.

Thoughts?!?! (I apologize if I destroyed the German names of the places we plan to visit...)

-Maria

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 05:57 PM
Art

A thought. Instead of the Hofbrauhous try a place called the Mainzerhouse. Its almost exactly the same but with more locals and less tourests.
You've packed a lot for two days. I don't think that you can do all of that in 2 days. I would definitly see Neuswanstein, but would choose Linderhof over Hohenschwangau and if you have time drive through Oberamergau. Those will consume a good portion of a day by them selves. I loved those parts of Germany. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 06:54 PM
Maria

Thank you for your suggestions Art! We will definitely check into them.

Any suggestions for places to stay?

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 07:54 PM
Art

Sorry, its been so long since I've been there that I wouldn't know places to stay now, but this will put it at the top and maybe someone else will chip in.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 09:48 PM
nickie

I think Art is correct, Maria, that's an awful lot to fit into two days! It's going to be a half day to travel to Berchtesgaten and return if you're staying in Munich. But if you've got a lot of energy and are trying to cram a lot in...Don't know what you want to spend on hotel, but I can recommend the Torbrau hotel in Munich. It's a five minute walk from Marienplatz, and around the corner a bit from the Hofbrauhaus. There is parking directly by the hotel, the staff is very helpful, friendly and speak English, and the rooms are gorgeous and comfortable.
I too would opt for Linderhof rather than Hohenschwangau, for its beautiful fountains and manmade grotto. Remember though, that you will be fighting crowds due to the Passion Play.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 07:12 AM
Rob M

My wife and I stayed in Weisbaden on our last night in Germany when flying out of Frankfurt in the morning. It is a relatively short ride to the airport, and it is at the beginning of the "castle route" along the Rhine. We stayed at the Hotel Paris, which we booked through the tourist information office at the train station, which we drove to.

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 08:26 AM
Paulo

When are you planning to travel, Maria? We once drove from Munich to Salzburg on a saturday in early august and it took us 4 hours ... stalls are very frequent on summer saturdays.
Paulo

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 10:21 AM
Paulo

My experience visiting Germany is somewhat limited because it was never my main travel destination. My "home base" in Europe is with relatives in South Tyrol in Italy. Almost invariably we fly into Frankfurt (cheaper one month car rentals) and we fly out either from Frankfurt or Brussels. As a consequence, we must have crossed Germany back and forth some 8 times in the past 15 years. We also have travelled around the Salzburg-Munich-Innsbruck route a number of times out from our base.

Disregarding a bias that this experience has given me, I want to throw in some "logistics" points for consideration. I won't comment on which sites to dump/add ... this is a question of personal preference.

a) Driving into and out of Munich for a short visit doesn't pay (unless possibly on a Saturday afternoon or Sunday); on weekdays, the time one looses driving in and out, fighting traffic and finding spots to park is just too much. Coming from the south, we elected Holzkirchen as the place to spend the night when visiting Munich. Nothing special, just a quaint little town like dozens of others in Bavaria. We stay at hotel Post and don't care to reserve in advance. We leave the car there and take the train into Munich. There are very frequent trains to Munich Hbf and the ride takes 40 minutes. Very convenient.

b) If I understood your plan correctly, you'd leave Munich area to visit the castles and then follow on to the Rhine. Independently on where you plan to hit the Rhein (whether south or more to the north) this would be a very long day (which could eventually traded by a another long day, say, on Friday). We drove twice from Rothenburg to Salzburg. Once we drove directly (departing after lunch and arriving a shade under 4 hours later) and the other time out we drove directly to Füssen at 7am, visited the castles and followed on, arriving in Salzburg around 7pm. This was a very long and tiring day but gave us 7 hours to explore the castle area. Were we heading to Berchtesgaden instead, I estimate that it wouldn't take more than 1/2 hour longer.

Depending on the time of year you're travelling, there'll be tedious stalls on the Autobahn that connects Munich to Salzburg, on Fridays late afternoon/evening and Saturday morning. If you don't know German and if you're not hooked on the radio, you can hardly avoid them.

In your shoes, I would probably thus do the following:

1- Leave Rothenburg early (7am) and drive directly do Füssen; after visiting the castles, I would go on to Holzkirchen to spend the night. The drive from the castle area to Holzkirchen takes about 2 hours. I would thus cut my visit to the castles accordingly.

2- The next morning I would catch a train back and forth to Munich and go on to Berchtesgaden for the night. On a Saturday afternoon, the drive from Holzkirchen (130km) shouldn't take more than 1:20 hours.

3- The drive from Berchtesgaden to the Rhine over Dachau would take around 5-6 hours, depending on how far north you intend to spend the night on the Rhine.

Paulo

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Amy

I suggest staying near
Garmisch-Partenkirchen in a town called Oberau. There is a very nice hotel/restaurant there that I stayed at when I went skiing in Garmisch this past Jan. It's the perfect place to stay. It's not too expensive and the people are friendly and they speak English. It is about 30 min. from Garmisch.
A word of warning:I live about one hour away from Frankfurt and when I went down to Garmisch and Munich, It took about 4-6 hours.
Don't worry about not knowing German. I'm American and have only taken one year of German. I still have to say, "Sprechen Sie Englisch?" a lot. Many Germans, especially in Southern Germany, speak English since it is usually a requirment in school.
Instead of Hohenschwangau, you should visit Linderhof. It's a very beautiful palace and the road to Linderhof is a scenic route.
I really think you should plan on a little bit longer stay than 2 days. There is a lot more stuff to do in that area than you think!
Bring washcloths, because German hotels do not provide them!
If you are coming to Europe in the summer, I suggest you pack a variety of clothes. I went to southern Germany on Memorial Day weekend and the first day it was very hot, and the next day was too chilly for shorts. Right now, the weather is very chilly, even cold. I can see my breath!!!
Also, if you're coming in the summer, when you go on the Rhine River. Try and see the Rhine Aflame. It's the most spectacular fireworks display I've ever seen! It's only on certain dates though.
N-e-wayz... HAVE A GOOD TIME!!!

Old Jul 13th, 2000, 02:48 PM
Maria

Wow!! Well, we haven't found any hotels yet-but, with the help of your suggestions, I am much closer!!

Here is what we are thinking:

Day 1: Leave Rothenburg 7AM. Visit Dachau, Marienplatz and Hofbrahaus.

Day 2: Bertchesgaden

Day 3: Castles-early. (Checking into Linderhof-I have to look on the map to see where all these wonderful places are!!) Then, on to AufSchoenburg, Oberwesel...(This will be on a Sunday.)

Still too much, eh?! May be no Bertchesgaden? (We are young and dumb enough to run ourselves ragged!!!)