Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich Airport to Salzburg (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-airport-to-salzburg-1313256/)

Jmad May 19th, 2017 08:00 AM

Munich Airport to Salzburg

I am arriving at Munich Airport at approx,20.00 31/05/2017 and traveling onwards to Salzburg HBF.station. From what I gather the best route seems to be, and please correct me if I'm wrong - Underground train from Airport to Munich Ost. I understand that the connection to Salzburg is easier from this station than from Munich Central??. Would he grateful for any advice of tips!!!!
Thanks in advance

Dukey1 May 19th, 2017 08:34 AM

Ost is a much smaller station than the main Munich station but it does have several platforms. It is also on the route TO Salzburg from Munich so there would be no doubling back BUT be aware that the "doubling back" is going to depend on WHICH S-Bahn train you sue from the airport: S-1 or S-8

Look at the map here: http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/fileadmin...B_Englisch.pdf

S-1 trains terminate at Ost after passing through the main rail station; S-8 trains stop at Ost on the way TO the downtown station.

But either way you will eventually get to it.

Dukey1 May 19th, 2017 08:48 AM

BTW, there is a place at MUC where you can by Bahn tickets.

There MAY be a bus service from MUC which could get you to the main rail station faster than the S-Bahn trains can get you to either rail station if travel time is an issue.

Jmad May 19th, 2017 09:06 AM

Thanks Dukey1 actually time is an issue. I just assumed that S-Bhan would get me there faster. I will look into the bus service. thanks again

Dukey1 May 19th, 2017 11:15 AM

The last time we flew into Munich we ended up on the S-1 and it took about 45 minutes as I recall to get to the main station area of town. I think the S-8 MIGHT be a bit faster but as I recall those trains alternate leaving from the airport station.

If you do use the S-Bahn I would take whatever train is leaving next.

A taxi to the main station would probably be the fastest way and don't be put off if you end up leaving from the main station instead of Ost. The main station, while large, is pretty intuitive in terms of finding the correct platform as they are very well-marked.

PalenQ May 19th, 2017 01:14 PM

In any case to save BIG bucks you can buy the Bavaria Pass at any train station - say airport stations and have unlimited travel on S-Bahns and regional trains the whole day, including to Salzburg even though a few miles inside Austria.

About an hour slower than faster trains you could not use - for fast trains check www.bahn.de/en for discounted fares if you book way in advance to get them but they are non-changeable so if you miss the train from Munich to Salzburg too bad. Without discounts fast trains are rather expensive - you'd probably save about $100 for two using the Bavaria Pass (about 30 euro for up to 5 people all told) - since you're arriving by air you never know when you will exactly be able to catch a fast train from central Munich so I think the Bavarian pass is a no-brainer unless on an unlimited extravagant budger.

Jmad May 19th, 2017 02:46 PM

Thanks PalenQ - and as for "unlimited extravagant budget" .. I wish!!!!

Dukey1 May 19th, 2017 03:11 PM

BE VERY AWARE of any time of day and type of train restrictions which may come with some passes.

swandav2000 May 19th, 2017 09:32 PM

Hi Jmad,

I have to disagree that a taxi or bus would be the fastest way from the airport into town -- taxis and busses are vulnerable to traffic and traffic jams, which are frequent on the highways around Munich and in Munich itself.

Really, the cheapest way is likely to be the fastest way, too -- use the S-bahn. I live south of Munich, and Munich traffic is a common complaint.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Cowboy1968 May 19th, 2017 10:41 PM

Bear in mind that OP has a quite late arrival at Munich airport at 20:00 -- which is 8pm.

The good news is that the last train from Munich to Salzburg departs not until 23:59 or 11:59pm. So you won't get stuck in Munich.
But you probably want to avoid arriving not until 1:40AM in Salzburg.

OPTION 1
The next possible connection from Munich Airport is with S8, dep 20:24
At Munich Ost, you have 25 minutes to change to the Meridian service to Salzburg, dep. 21:20

OPTION 2
With a 20:00 arrival at MUC you may miss that S-Bahn - take the next S8 service, dep. 20:44. Do NOT take any in-between S1 service. The schedule may say they will make it in time to Munich Ost, but in real life they won't.
At Munich Ost, your connection time has shrunk to 5 minutes.
Not impossible, IF the S-Bahn gets to Munich Ost on time, and IF you know your way around.
At the airport: Enter the REAR end of S8 close to where the escalators end on the platform if walking from Terminal 2. If walking from any Terminal 1 concourses, keep walking a bit on the platform as those escalators will drop you near the front end of the train.
At Munich Ost you arrive on track 1 or 2, the Salzburg service departs from track 8. Only the underpass near the REAR END of the S8 S-Bahn connects to all platforms, the near the front end of the train does not connect to track 8 where you need to go.

OPTION 3
If you can't make neither the 20:24 nor the 20:44 departure from Munich Airport station, take any S-Bahn to Munich Ost.
You will have some time to kill until the 22:52 departure of the next direct Meridian service to Salzburg from Munich Ost.
I would NOT suggest to use the in between option, dep. Munich Ost at 21:52. In involves two transfers en route, actually a bus replacement service.
You find several food options either still at Munich Airport or at Munich Ost.

Since option #1 and possibly also option #2 require a speedy connection from Munich airport's terminals to the S-Bahn, get your ticket in advance.
https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/...-tickets.shtml

Step 1: select "Book now" (near the description for Bavaria)
Step 2 (next page): tick "Bayern-Ticket Nacht" (Nacht means night. You get a cheaper ticket since you will depart after 18:00 / 6pm)
Step 3: select number of people in your party, 2nd class, date of departure (31 May)
Step 4 (next page): register as new customer or select "book without registration", follow payment procedure
Step 5 (after you completed purchase): print ticket at home, write full names of all people in your party on the ticket. There will be either a space for that, or use the backside of the print-out.

The Bavaria Ticket you printed at home does NOT need to be validated at the station(s).
It is good both for the S-Bahn service to Munich, as well as for the Meridian service from Munich to Salzburg.
It's valid until next morning, so even the last train to Salzburg at 11:59pm would be covered. If that train was late and left a few minutes past midnight it would not matter since the scheduled departure time is relevant.
While Bavaria Tickets are valid all way into Salzburg main station - even though it's a different country - it is NOT valid on Salzburg's city transit buses.

Hope you'll have a good and speedy connection to Salzburg.

Dukey1 May 19th, 2017 11:44 PM

Do you honestly think "traffic" from the airport is going to "be a problem" at THAT hour of the night?????

swandav2000 May 20th, 2017 12:17 AM

It could be, Dukey1. One never knows when an accident could tie things up. It is worth mentioning.

Or, I guess, using your type of writing:

YES, it certainly COULD BE. One never knows when an ACCIDENT could tie things up. It is WORTH mentioning!!!

hehee.

s

Jmad May 20th, 2017 05:17 AM

Thank you Swanday2000 I really appreciate your sound advice. Will defo go with S-Bshn

Jmad May 20th, 2017 05:28 AM

Well Cowboy1968 what can I say? Thank you for your totally detailed and thoroughly helpful reply. I really appreciate the time and trouble you have taken to help a fellow traveler. With your step by step guide I feel that I have already made this trip before. I read from your profile that your next trip is to my patch, Ireland, so if there is anything I can help you with please just ask. Thanks again Cowboy!!!!

Cowboy1968 May 20th, 2017 07:52 AM

Has been my pleasure, Jmad.
And yes, I do travel to Ireland regularly.. one of my favorite places (friends of mine lived there for 8 years)

iris1745 May 20th, 2017 09:38 AM

Cowboy; Very tight schedule, like 25 minutes, but is this possible?

http://westbus.at/en

PalenQ May 20th, 2017 01:38 PM

Why not just stay in Munich the first night rather than rush to make late train connections and next day enjoy the rather scenic ride?

maybe this was discussed above - did not wade thru all.

Wow such impressive info from cowboy- taking time to do all that! Priceless.

Cowboy1968 May 20th, 2017 01:53 PM

iris1745, the latest bus connection I can see from Munich airport to Salzburg departs at 19:30 -- a *bit* too early if OP arrives at 20:00.. or did I miss something?

iris1745 May 20th, 2017 01:59 PM

cowboy; I think on the 31st of May there is a bus leaving at 20.25.

A tight connection, but is it doable?

Cowboy1968 May 20th, 2017 04:59 PM

iris - the bus you found leaves at 20.25 - but from downtown Munich's central bus station - 30kms away from the airport. It's the same service that leaves the airport at 19.30.
OP won't be able to catch it.