Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich Airport to Freising easiest route (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-airport-to-freising-easiest-route-788749/)

deladeb Jun 7th, 2009 08:15 PM

Munich Airport to Freising easiest route

We are going to be tired from a long flight and it will be dark. I read it can be confusing to find a hotel in Freising...specifically the Marriott. Any tips to make it easy.

Cowboy1968 Jun 7th, 2009 08:27 PM

Take the shuttle bus. The Marriott got one, but you have to reserve in advance. So does any hotel in the airport's vicinity.
If the hotel of your choice in Freising does not have a shuttle, take a cab. Freising is almost literally a stone's throw away from the airport, so it will not cost you an arm and a leg.

Gary_Mc Jun 8th, 2009 03:58 AM

The Marriott's own website shows a shuttle bus at 11 euros each.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/...arriott-hotel/

There is a public shuttle bus # 635 that runs to the train station at about 2 euros person. It takes about 15 minutes and runs every 20 minutes. I am not sure about the departure location but they could direct you at the Sbahn information point. Freising is a small place, maybe 15 min walk from the train station to the main square and the Marriot is just above that. The walk to the square is pretty simple, take Bahnhof Straße to Hauptstraße, then right maybe two blocks. Left at the Main square and then uphill a few blocks as I remember. A map and an address would be handy as it is a jumble.

A cab costs about 25-30 euros and also takes about 15 minutes but could take you directly to your hotel.

Regards, Gary

EmilyC Jun 8th, 2009 05:12 AM

This is a great little hotel. We have stayed several times, the last being last September with a rental car with GPS. Take the cab or the shuttle. I honestly would not want to make this trip in the dark for the first time!

FACS Jun 8th, 2009 07:21 AM

Thanks .... but we're picking up a rental car at the airport...so should we stay somehere else that is easier to get to in the dark and tired. Suggestions?

Cowboy1968 Jun 8th, 2009 09:39 AM

There is only one hotel on the airport premises, which is the pricey Kempinski.
If you have to drive, any off-airport airport hotel in nearby Hallbergmoos should be the easiest to find option. 5 minutes drive from the airport, with no downtown driving. On the other hand, there is nothing to do in Hallbergmoos but eat and sleep. The Marriott in Freising would offer you at least the option of an evening walk in a charming small town.
At what time of year and hour will you be arriving? In summer it does not get dark that early..

You can use hrs.com for hotel search and quotes.

FACS Jun 8th, 2009 10:25 AM

Cowboy1968, I rechecked and it won't be dark (8pm Summer)
Is the difficult part getting to Freising or finding the Marriott?

Cowboy1968 Jun 8th, 2009 01:52 PM

Freising is just a 5 minute drive from the airport and signposted once you are on the exit road from the airport.
According to the driving directions you can download from the website which Gary_mc posted above, I would not say it's difficult:
Driving Directions: Follow the signs towards Freising. When you are in Freising follow the directions to 'Parkhaus-Altstadt-Mitte', blue signs with a white 'P', the public garage is under the hotel. Alternatively, follow signs to 'Krankenhaus' (Hospital)!

FACS Jun 9th, 2009 07:48 AM

Thanks Cowboy1968!

EmilyC Jun 12th, 2009 04:01 AM

The above poster is correct, the Marriott is very close to the hospital. We rented from Sixt and picked up our car in Freising on our second day in Germany. The cost was much less. Is this an option for you?

Does the flight land at 8PM ??

deladeb Jun 19th, 2009 05:18 PM

Lands at 7:40 pm

EmilyC Jun 21st, 2009 10:46 AM

So, it could be 1 - 1.5 hours by the time you exit the plane, get luggage and get thru customs (if the flight is on time).

Your choices are to drive in the dark or close to dusk, take a cab/shuttle to the hotel and return to the airport the next day for the car, or to change your car reservation to pick up your vehicle in Freising.

Considering how much we saved by taking our rental out of Freising I would opt to get the car thereif that is at all a possibility for you.

deladeb Jun 21st, 2009 11:01 AM

Thanks Emily, which rental car company has rentals out of Freising?

EmilyC Jun 22nd, 2009 03:50 AM

We used Sixt and we were very satisfied. Took a cab from the Marriott hotel to the Sixt location the day after we flew in to Europe. They actually included a GPS which we hadn't reserved - a nice upgrade!

Roger1x Jun 22nd, 2009 10:52 AM

I would second Emily's advice about getting your car the second day in Freising. I also use Sixt in Germany, although I'm pretty sure Freising has Avis and Hertz also. You will save a bit of money not picking up the car at the airport (for some reason there's no surcharge for returning to an airport).

I suspect it won't take you long to leave the airport after landing as it sounds like you're coming from elsewhere in Europe and will have already been through passport control in another country. I've always found luggage to be unloaded really quickly in Munich.

If you want to save money the 635 bus works really well. It's not more than a 15 minute walk from the bus station in Freising to the Marriott. Have a good map since the Marriott can be a bit tricky to find on either foot or by car.

If you're looking for restaurants - Schrodl's and Huber are my two favorite with Schrodl's being a bit more upscale and Huber being just good Bavarian food in a pretty setting.