Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Munich Airport Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/munich-airport-hotel-571843/)

KarenM Nov 19th, 2005 08:59 AM

Munich Airport Hotel

Oops, should have put the topic in as Germany, sorry about the double posting.

Can anyone recommend a hotel at the Munich Airport that would be good to stay the night before leaving? Would like something nice but not a killer on the wallet. We will be flying in from Venice to take the Munich flight back the the US the next day. Would like to go into the Munich center to sightsee and have dinner that night at the Hoffbrauhaus, unless anyone has a better restaurant suggestion.

treplow Nov 19th, 2005 03:20 PM

I have stayed in thge past in The Hotel Kastanienhof in Erding. From there it is about 15 minutes by taxi to the airport. It has the advantge that it is right across from the Erding S-Bahn (suburban train) station which, in turn, is the turn around station for that line. Takes about 30 minutes from there to the Marienplatz, the center of the City.

The hotel is more reasonably priced than the hotel in the airport.

KarenM Nov 19th, 2005 04:00 PM

Excellent, thanks so much for the idea, treplow. It looks like the perfect place.

I haven't been to the Hoffbraushaus in years, is it still worth going to for the food?

Tries2PakLite Nov 19th, 2005 04:03 PM

What happened to all the other posts? Someone mentioned that the food at Hoffbrauhaus wasn't that great.

The Kempinski at the airport is expensive. I recommended the Dorint in Freising. I wonder why the posts were pulled.
((c))

Tries2PakLite Nov 19th, 2005 04:05 PM

Ah -- Karen you have 2 threads asking the same question. There is additional info on the other thread.
((c))

hsv Nov 20th, 2005 04:41 AM

Was the Hofbraeuhaus ever worth going to for the food???

For down to earth Bavarian fare I'd recommend the Franziskaner opposite the Opera, if you are set to dine in the city (or have a traditional brunch of "Weisswurst"). Alternatively, I'd consider the Andechser am Dom right by the Frauenkirche church.

For options a bit away from the tourist flow, the Unionsbraeu in Haidhausen or the Hofbraeukeller, also in Haidhausen (both near Rosenheimer Platz a short tram ride from the center) come to mind.

Finally, the Wirtshaus in der Au, right across the River Isar behind the Deutsches Museum (I believe this is an option, too), for a bit gentrified Bavarian fare is an option.

I am sure local resident logos would have more recommendations - but IMHO these are all preferable over the Hofbraeuhaus.

crckwc Nov 20th, 2005 12:01 PM

I can recommend Best Western Parkhotel in Erding -- near S Bahn, good restaurant, comfortable room and we got a very good rate last year.

JEFF_ Nov 20th, 2005 01:31 PM

If you'll be there on the weekend, the Kempinski at the airport used to have a very affordable rate that included a buffet breakfast. I liked staying there a lot. And it was an easy train ride to the city.

Zeus Nov 20th, 2005 04:14 PM

Just my two cents, but I'd at least try Priceline.com. You can request the airport area and no matter what you get, you'll be staying in an upscale place at a decent price. No doubt they'll give you a sterile, charmless chain hotel, but it'll most likely seem like being back home.

According to BiddingforTravel.com, you'll most likely get the Marriott Airport hotel. Three years ago we ended-up at the Movenpick for about a third of the regular rate.

shandy Nov 20th, 2005 04:27 PM

We were happy with the Arabella Sheraton just near the airport. Got an excellent price with one of the last minute web sites. When we arrived and requested a rollaway for the children's room they immediately upgraded the kids to a suite despite paying less than half the rack rate. The service at the restaurant left a bit to be desired but that was probably due to the individual serving us rather than indicative.

One tip if you are staying by the airport and happen to be travelling Lufthansa, we returned our car, checked in our bags and got seat allocation the night before (no queues). Next morning we were able to get up an hour later than we had originally planned and just stroll in to our gateway.

AisleSeat Nov 20th, 2005 06:51 PM

For your evening in Munich I would recommend that you hit the Hofbrau Haus third floor "Bavarian Evening" show abd a beer at 7pm then have a very Bavarian dinner at the Augistinger a couple of blocks toward the Hauptbahnhof from Marianplatz in the fussganger zone. Another pretty good restaurant in the area is the Ratskeller restaurant in the basement (celler) under the Neues Rathaus (the glockenspiel building in Marienplatz). All of this stuff is withing easy walking distance of each other.