Where to stay and eat on Amalfi coast in late October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In late October to mid November, my husband and I are travelling to southern Italy (Amalfi, Naples, Puglia, Rome) to celebrate my 60th birthday. We're starting out in Salerno, and then working our way north-west on the Amalfi coast travelling by local bus up to Naples, and then going on to Puglia.
I'm looking for advice on a reasonably-priced place we could stay in a town that has a great place to eat for my birthday.. The tricky parts:
- we aren't driving a car on the coast, so dependent on local bus transportation;
- we are hoping to not have to climb a hundred steps or navigate too far to our accommodation after a late night celebration;
- we can't eat shellfish (fish is fine and just about everything else); and
- late October seems to be a time that some places close for the season.
All advice is welcome!
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:17 AM
ekc

One of my favorite restaurants is in the small village of Cetara = Acquapazza. It is fairly flat and has a few small hotels.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 10:27 AM

There is a recent trip report that might be of interest to you - the person stayed in Praiano and traveled by bus well -

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...alfi-coast.cfm
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 11:43 AM

In addition to the excellent Aquapazza (http://www.acquapazza.it/), I also enjoyed San Pietro in Cetara (http://www.sanpietroristorante.it/menu.html).
There are a couple nice b&bs in Cetara (just above it, really) that are uphill, about a 20 minute walk, but not up stairs (makes a difference to me!).
There is also a hotel in town.
If money is no object, check out this place I salivated over while trip planning:
http://www.donalfonso.com/
You would need to arrange a private transfer to the place for the night though.
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 01:49 PM

You shoul think seriously about a stay in Amalfi. Amalfi is almost flat, or at least as flat as a place can be inbthe AC.
Plus, SITA buses have lines that starts or end in Amalfi, and the place is good to visit Ravello, a real must.
You can't experience food shortage in Amalfi, as far as i know some good restaurants will be open in october.
An alternative to Amalfi is Sorrento, not on the AC, but on the other side of the peninsula, bigger and less charming, but this is only one oppinion.
Enjoy your trip...and the 60's. We are there!!!
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM
ekc

Oh, if you can squeeze in a night at Don Alfonso's I would highly recommend it!! We stayed there one night on our travel between Rome and Raito and loved it - the lunch there was one of the best of the trip!
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM

Great minds think alike--haha. Good to know I can keep Don Alfonso on my wish list, ekc!
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 02:26 PM
ekc

Absolutely York!
Old Aug 19th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Casa Albertina is my favorite place to stay in the Amalfi Coast. It is in Positano. I will also be staying there late October. I have stayed there twice prior.
Jill
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and links! I've explored the menus and websites of Aquapazza and San Pietro (appreciate the links ekc and yorkshire). It is unfortunate that my spouse and I are both unable to tolerate shellfish, the mainstays on the menus, which makes sense for coastal fishing areas. We may pursue vegetarian, or the fish of the day.

Don Alfonso's does look gorgeous, and it will be just on my wish list for solo-travel. My hubby would feel very out-of-place there. We'll stick to the B&Bs and small hotels for now, and will check out Casa Albertina and others.

Jelopez33, thanks for the note on Amalfi. I'll look again. My brother suggested Residenza dal Pansa (and the Pasticceria), although it seems to be either full or closing early in October. I'm sure that there's plenty of sleeping and eating options there too.

Alison
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 06:56 AM

wards, just so you know--I can't recall any shellfish that we ate in three meals in Cetara. We mostly had fish, as our entrees and as appetizers (octopus and anchovy primarily), so don't let the menu dissuade you, as I think it is just representative -- what's fresh is what you get.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:28 AM
ekc

I concur with York - shellfish may be on the menu but in my 3 meals at Acquapazza there were several dining companions who did not have any shellfish - just pasta and fish.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM

We stayed this past April at La Scogliera in Atrani. Fantastic views from the balcony and a charming host who provides the most awesome croissants/cornetti for breakfast. You can walk from Atrani to Amalfi and pick up buses there.
http://www.lascoglierarooms.com/

We liked the quiet atmosphere of Atrani and ended up eating there each night. We especially enjoyed our dinners at Le Palme (very friendly service) and A Paranzo. Apparently there is a new restaurant there that gets excellent reviews--Savo. The restaurants are near the main square in Atrani, which is near sea level. I don't recall steps into town--there is a sidewalk along a short road down to the beach. There are, however, steps in the B&B which is on the second or third floor (American).

But you can easily walk over to Amalfi, too, and explore their restaurants.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM

May be you can find interesting a look at my report on our one week stay in Amalfi, with visits to Capri, Sorrento, Positano, Salerno, and Pompeii.
We were perfectly well at Sharon House, more like a good B&B than a traditional hotel, but very well located, no views.
If you stay or visit Amalfi, don' miss gelato and/or baba, and/or sfogliatelli and......at Pasticheria Savoia!

If you need any more info or comments, please, let me know.I'll be glad to help.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:38 PM

May be you can find interesting a look at my report on our one week stay in Amalfi, with visits to Capri, Sorrento, Positano, Salerno, and Pompeii.
We were perfectly well at Sharon House, more like a good B&B than a traditional hotel, but very well located, no views.
If you stay or visit Amalfi, don' miss gelato and/or baba, and/or sfogliatelli and......at Pasticheria Savoia!

If you need any more info or comments, please, let me know.I'll be glad to help.
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM

OOOPPPPSSSSS........sorry
Old Aug 20th, 2013, 04:12 PM

A little sidebar story about Don Alfonso.......we rented a villa in Sant'Agata sui due Golfi in February/98. They were closed for the winter but reopened the day before we were leaving for Puglia and we were delighted to make a reservation for lunch.

We had a lovely time - the food was delicious - and during our conversation with the Chef my husband admired the Ferrari in the parking lot. The Chef's eyes lit up - it was his son's brand new car. A few minutes later the son came over to our table and dropped the keys on the table.........."take it for a drive", he offered with a smile.

Seriously? Drive the Amalfi Coast with a borrowed Ferrari? We were still recovering from someone clipping our side mirror on our little Kia. We demurred. So the son insisted on taking us for a drive....although only one of us would fit. (at a time). Amazing driving along the coast ensued.......and a wonderful memory.
Old Aug 21st, 2013, 07:33 AM

Elizabeth_S--love it! Another example of the hospitality of the people on the AC.
mama_mia--thanks for hte recommendation. If I had been able to get a room there, I likely would have stayed in Atrani. I passed through one day and loved the winding maze-like streets.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the recommendations! Great stories and advice Elizabeth_S, very evocative of the great hospitality. I've looked at Cetara, Minori, Amalfi, and Atrani both for food and accommodations (as well as ease of getting there and leaving by bus). Finally, mama_mia recommendation of Atrani helped me decide. Unfortunately there's no availability at La Scogliera Rooms, so am choosing another Atrani BnB. For our first-ever visit to the Amalfi coast, it looks like we will have a wonderful time exploring, eating and relaxing.
Old Aug 22nd, 2013, 08:41 AM
ekc

Great choice Wards! We had a wonderful dinner last summer at Lido Azzuro in Amalfi, which is an easy walk from Atrani. I am hoping to return to Lido Azzuro when I am in Pos in June. Cafe Andrea Panza at the base of the stairs to the Duomo in Amalfi is also a great spot for cafe and pastries (or cocktails)!