Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Muguet or Palais Bourbon, advice... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/muguet-or-palais-bourbon-advice-117388/)

monica Apr 8th, 2001 08:51 AM

Muguet or Palais Bourbon, advice...

I need advice from the experts here at Fodors. I have reservations at both Muguet and Palais Bourbon in Paris this July. It will be myself, friend (who has never been to Paris) and my two boys ages 13 and 5. I am stumped as to which hotel would be the most convenient, fun area, cafes nearby, as well as OK sized rooms etc. The Bourbon is more expensive...Any advice out there?<BR>Thank you!

Surlok Apr 8th, 2001 10:19 AM

The Hotel Muguet is a two stars, but is recommended by Rivages "Hotels de Charme", a very reliable guide. Depending on when you're going, if you won't need air conditionning ( Paris can get warm in late July and early August), the Muguet will suit you well, I guess. Idon't kknow if you're booking two rooms, because hotel rooms n Paris tend to be (very) small. The location of the Muguet is good, you'll be walking distance from the Musee D' Orsay, the Seine River, the Notre Dame and the Louvre ( if you don't mind walking two miles). The Eifeel Tower will be walking distance, too.

Carol Apr 8th, 2001 10:30 AM

Hi Monica:<BR><BR>We stayed at the Palais Bourbon in May of 99. While the hotel was fine - the room a decent size for Paris - the area is very quiet at night. We found that we spent most of our time in the 4th, 5th or 6th arrondisment at night. However, I know the Muguet is in the 7th, but I think it's in a more vibrant area of the 7th.<BR><BR>Even though I haven't stayed there, I'd probably choose the Muguet because I've heard good things about it and from the picture I've seen, it has more charm than the Palais Bourbon.<BR><BR>But you won't go wrong with either hotel, after all, you're in Paris!<BR><BR>Bon Voyage<BR>Carol

Baby Apr 8th, 2001 10:37 AM

The Muguet has A/C

Bob Brown Apr 8th, 2001 10:48 AM

I would not be concerned about the location of a hotel in the 5, 6, or 7th Arrondissements for two reasons:<BR>1. the Paris transit system is very good.<BR>2. if you are at one attraction, there is a good chance that the next one is not near the first one.<BR>I selected my last hotel on the basis of quality. (Air cooled room!!!)<BR>I did not worry about where it was located because I knew I could get to where I wanted without much trouble. <BR>We were within walking distance of the Luxembourg Gardens, but the next target attraction was well away from there. <BR>I do suggest that you consider air cooling because Paris can be hot. All those buildings comprise a heat island!! And when it rains, you will welcome cooler air circulating in your room. The Bourbon does not advertise air conditioning on its web page. The Muguet does. <BR>

Diana Apr 8th, 2001 02:58 PM

We stayed at the Muguet for a week last May. It was wonderful. If you can book a room on the 5th floor, you may have a view of the Invalides Dome or the Eiffel Tower. It's a short (couple blocks) walk to Rue Clair, a pedestrian market street. Many cafes nearby, but the Muguet is on a quiet street. The largest, cleanest bathrooms I've even seen in Europe. Book the Muguet - NOW!

Donna Apr 8th, 2001 03:22 PM

We love the Muguet and the neighborhood. However, the largest rooms (other than the suite), have twin or king bed and a trundle between the bedroom and bathroom in a tiny alcove. When the second bed is pulled out, it completely blocks the aisle to the bathroom. If all four of you are planning to stay in one room at the Muguet, you'll be stepping over and bumping into each other.

AC Jun 24th, 2001 10:09 AM

<BR>up for liz