Reload this Page >

Muerren, Switzerland

Search

Muerren, Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 04:22 AM
Paige

Muerren, Switzerland

Hello! We're off to Muerren pretty soon. Has anyone been to that area lately? Any scoop to tell me? We're hoping to hike all over the area. Are there zillions of people doing the same right now? Any good restaurants or cool sites to recommend? Has anyone walked through Lauterbrunnen valley and seen the waterfalls? Is that worth a day? Thanks!!

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 04:27 AM
Bob Brown

I have been in the Lauterbrunnen valley last year and this. We rented an apartment in Lauterbrunnen and used it as our base to explore the area. <BR>Trummelbach Falls are worth the visit.There is a slight admission charge. <BR>I guess the most scenic walk from Mürren is the trail that leads to the Sefinenfurka. It gets quite steep toward the top of the pass. There are a couple of others. You can walk along the shelf parallel to the railroad track all the way to Isenfluh and take the lift up to the Sulwald. <BR>There are some others, too.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 07:24 AM
Patrick

The falls are worth it, but I would use a bus, not walk the valley. There are far too many more interesting walks in the area than to take the time to walk through the valley.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 10:02 AM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Paige There are many <BR>hiking possibilities in the BO. Here are <BR>but a few: <BR>Iseltwald-Giessbach- 1 1/2 hrs <BR>Schynige Platte-Faulhorn-First - 5 1/2 hrs <BR>Lauterbrunnen-Wilderswil---m2 1/2 hr. <BR>Wengen-Mettlenalp-Kleine Scheidegg- 3 1/4 hrs <BR>Mannlichen- Kleine Scheidegg - 1 1/2 hrs <BR>Wengeralp-Kleine Scheidegg-Eigergletscher- 2 1/2 hrs <BR>?Schlithorn-Engetal-Murren - 3 1/2 hrs. <BR>A few years ago there was a Wanderpass Walking Pass for the Jungfrau area, if <BR>you hiked at least 5 out of 12 walks, <BR>ysou would receive a bronze walking shoe..?? <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, IL... <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 12:06 PM
Rick

Check our Ed and Julie's travel page <BR>http://www.twenj.com/swissvisit.htm <BR>for information on Switzerland in general and Murren specifically. We stayed at the Chalet Fontana two years ago. It's a wonderful place right in the middle of Murren, running by Denise Fussell. Right across the street is the Stagerstubli, a great little local cafe. <BR>Ed and Julie's travel page has a link with info for local hikes. <BR>Murren is on of the most beautiful places on earth. The trails in every direction are breath-taking. I hope to go back next year for an extending hiking vacation. <BR>Have a great time!! <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 01:17 PM
Bob Brown

I have two general comments on the comments. Would you walk the floor of Yosemite Valley? The Lauterbrunnen Valley has the falls and the views of the mountains. <BR>I see no reason to walk from Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil. You walk along the Weisse Lutschine most of the way, at least until the Schwarze Lutschine joins it at Zweilutschinen. <BR>But you are buried in trees most of the way, with the highway on the other side of the creek. There are many more rewarding places to expend the effort. <BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 11:38 PM
Paige

Thanks everyone!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 04:14 AM
Paige

Bob: I've never been to Yosemite. Are you saying walking in Lauterbrunnen is great or not so great? Also, I'm curious about the trail that leads to the Sefinenfurka. In which direction is that? I didn't see it on the map. Thanks!

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 05:08 AM
Bob Brown

The Lauterbrunnen valley was formed by the massive glaciers that came down off of the ancestoral Jungfrau, Mönch, Breithorn, Gspaltenhorn, etc. toward the end of the last ice age, which began to retreat big time about 10,000 years or so ago. As is typical of glacial valleys, the bottom is flat and the sides are high and steep. That is why you have the beautiful waterfalls pouring over the sides. The valley is very narrow until you reach Lauterbrunnen, at which point it opens out some so that you an see the falls and the mountain peaks to the south. <BR>I find walking along the valley to be very pleasent. There are pastures and houses along the way as well as numerous waterfalls coming over the sides of the valley. At the end of the valley in Stechelberg, trails lead deeper into the mountains in the direction of Ober Steinberg and the Oberhornsee. <BR>Gimmelwald is a little place down the mountain from Murren that sits at the open end of a hanging valley, one that was left hanging up on the mountain side because it was undercut by the main glacier. If one walks inward from Murren along the Sefinenlutschine creek, the trail ends in a huge cirque cut into the walls of the Gspaltenhorn. The area is known as the Kilchbalm. The trail is relatively flat and leads through rough pastures until it terminates at the mountain walls. <BR>The Sefinenfurka (Sefinenfurke, Sefinenfurgge) is one of the classic non glacial crossings in the Berner Oberland. If you pursue the trail past the top of the pass, you reach the village of Griesalp and from there you can take a post bus down to the Kander Valley and find a train station. After reaching the top of the pass, the trail makes a very steep descent, but one that is very rewarding. I have not done it, but the pictures are awesome. <BR>To find the trail, there should be a sign post in Mürren for the Rostock Hut. <BR>There are several variations on the route. But the goal should be the Rostock Hut (which is fairly large). <BR>The trail follows up a high valley toward the pass itself which is a low point between the Schilthorn and the Gspaltenhorn. You may elect NOT to go all the way to the top because the last 1,000 feet of climbing seems like it is straight up. I passed on going up the final section. You can see a lot without expending the energy to go all the way to the top. I think it depends on your conditioning. (At 67 I let discretion be the better part of valor!!) But there were a few people with the legs to do it!! <BR>If you possibly can, get in touch with the Adventurous Traveler Bookstore, which is on Internet, and get a copy of Kev Reynolds book on that area. <BR>It is called The Bernese Alps Switzerland, A Walking Guide by Kev Reynolds. It is the best in English that I have seen for hiking in the Berner Oberland. <BR>Some people walk up to the top of the Schilthorn and then ride down. It is a long, steep walk, but nothing dangerous about it -- assuming you are sober and prudent!!