Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

MSM - Le Mouton Blanc or La Croix Blanche?

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a part of my group trip this May-June, we plan to spend one night on Mont Saint Michel. I have emailed these 2 hotels and have proposals from each. (Actually I emailed the Auberge Saint Pierre but it was full. The Croix Blanche was a substitute, as it is the same owner.)

For my 12 people the Croix Blanche*** has suggested 6 rooms with demi-pension at 86€ per person (5 rooms) and 92€ (1 room). Problem is that these rooms are on the 3rd & 4th floors with no elevator, of course, and my group is composed mostly of people in their 60's and 70's.

The Mouton Blanc** has proposed 6 rooms at 85€ each + 9€ for breakfast. Assuming a dinner at 30-35€, prices are more or less equal. I don't know what floor these rooms are on. (I have emailed again to ask.)

I stayed with a group a few years ago at the Mouton Blanc and it was OK, if a little worn. I do seem to remember being taken a ways up the street to an annex and climbing some spiral stairs to a 1st or 2nd floor room.

I am not familiar with the Croix Blanche. Does anyone know where it is located? Is it some distance further up the Grande Rue from the MB? Any experience staying/eating there?

I hope additional information from these hotels will help me make a decision but I would appreciate any advice from fellow Fodorites as well. Thanks.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 10:56 PM

More ttt, than helpful advice, I'm afraid.

Our experience if very similar to yours. Did not "mind" Le Mouton Blanc but found it "worn". This September we were fortunate to stay at the Auberge St. Pierre, taking advantage of their demi-pension and loved every minute/meal. La Croix Blanche doesn't jump to the forefront of my memory...not necessarily bad indicator, but...

Hopefullly someone else has experience with Croix Blanche.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 11:11 PM

Bonjour Betty! Je suis heureuse de vous lire ici car j'ai perdu une partie de mes emails et vous étiez dedans! Je serais ravie de recevoir de vos nouvelles pour pouvoir vous écrire à nouveau.
Bonne année et bonne chance dans vos recherches.
coco
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, klondike for the ttt! I went ahead and booked the Mouton Blanc because they could give me rooms on the 1st & 2nd floors. As they described the rooms in the "annex," it sounded very familiar. For one night I'm sure it will be fine. I was surprised and disappointed that the Auberge Saint Pierre was already full for my date.

A Coco, bonjour et bonne année! Je vous écrirai.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:22 AM

Everyone has made the suggestions to stay with Auberge Saint Pierre but I can't get their website in English. Their website is confusing. I've emailed them and they emailed me back with booking at St Croix or Le Saint Michel. So should I email them back and ask for rooms at Auberge Saint Pierre?

Thanks,
Amy