Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   MSM - inside or outside the walls? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/msm-inside-or-outside-the-walls-672347/)

daryleann Jan 21st, 2007 11:52 AM

MSM - inside or outside the walls?

When people suggest staying overnite 'on the Mont' does it matter if one is outside the walls? Does this mean in the nearby town? How does one get to 'experience the Mont' if we stay in a nearby town? Is transportation by our own car possible 'after hours'?
Sorry if this sounds dumb, but I get so confused. One hotel says at the edge of the causeway but shows a lot further!!

Underhill Jan 21st, 2007 12:15 PM

Staying overnight ON the Mont St-Michel means being inside the walls; there's not much outside the walls, meaning you would need to stay across the causeway.

You can certainly use your own car after hours, but you will need to park it in the large parking lot by the causeway; no driving beyond that is allowed. You should be sure to park as far away as possible from the area that floods at high tide.

There are a number of hotels clustered near the edge of the causeway, and some have fine views of the Mont--better than you would have on the Mont itself, as a matter of fact.

daryleann Jan 21st, 2007 12:45 PM

So, when it says 'no transportation after hours' it refers to a local bus? Then staying across the causeway would be acceptable? (There are no vacancies in the month of April 'on the Mont' when we are there)
May I ask... on the weeks where 'there is no difference in the tides' is it still 'dramatic or just not SOo dramatic? Do you understand?

Underhill Jan 21st, 2007 01:01 PM

The difference in the tides is nowhere near as dramatic as it was before the causeway was built, which has caused silting in the bay. When--and if--the new bridge replaces the causeway the tide action is supposed to be more what it used to be.

If you stay across the causeway you can just drive up to the Mont's parking lot, leave your car, and head up into the village and then the abbey buildings. Be prepared for wall-to-wall bodies as you go up the street and the many steps. I remember reading, however, that you can also go up to the abbey by taking the route that goes up around the ramparts.

I imagine but don't know for sure that "no transportation after midnight" must refer to buses, but I also imagine that the parking lot is closed at that time. That would leave foot traffic as an option.

job816 Jan 21st, 2007 07:20 PM

Getting over the causeway to the mount is a bit of a walk. We actually picked up some hitchhikers when we were leaving because they could not make it the whole way across on foot. Parking on the causeway is generally reserved for overnighters during high tide – meaning if you drive over and then the tide comes in, you will need to leave. And it’s all about the tide. Well not all, but a big part. I recommend staying overnight on the mount if you can. The view across the mount is beautiful, but IMO its worth staying on the mount for one night for the experience. He re is the official website so you can check for high tides times.
http://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com/accueil_gb.htm

Underhill Jan 21st, 2007 07:34 PM

Those must have been very weary and foot-sore travellers.

Dave_in_Paris Jan 22nd, 2007 04:02 AM

Very confused by this string. What portions of the Mont are open to private vehicle traffic, and during what hours, once one is on it? We are going with older relatives, some with mild mobility problems. If one is staying on the Mont overnight, where does one park? Is parking difficult for folks who stay overnight? How much of a walk from a parking spot to a hotel on the Mont? Or do any of the hotels on the Mont have parking?

Also, are there any hotels off the Mont but with a view of it that are non-chain hotels with charm and a fairly high level of comfort?

Thanks for any advice.

Pausanias Jan 22nd, 2007 04:28 AM

There are several parking lots at the Mont end of the causeway. The nearest one is reserved for overnight parking. The attendants know all about the tide and direct you to safe areas. The other lots range from pretty close to a bit of a way. You cannot drive onto the Mont itself. It might be possible to drive up and drop off someone who has difficulty walking. People with mobility issues face a long steep climb to the abbey. I don't know if there is any service to help them.

The hotels at the other end of the causeway are clumped together like hotels at an interstate interchange in the US. A similar ambience prevails.

On the other hand, hotels on the Mont itself range from OK but overpriced to shabby but overpriced. The food is mediocre to bad -- and overpriced. That said, it is worth staying overnight on the Mont for the convenient access, an after dinner stroll (climb), and to enjoy the atmosphere after <i>most</i> of the crowds have gone.

The abbey itself is magnificent.

LarryJ Jan 22nd, 2007 04:33 AM

I spent a full day on the mont and then spent the night at a hotel at the end of the causeway. From my room I had a veiw of the Abby. This is of course a much better view than being on the mont. The mont is very different in the evening after all the daytrippers have gone. You can see the tide rush back in making the mont an island and at night with the lights the mont is very beautiful. There are hotels within walking distance of the mont on the mainland side of the causeway.

Larry J

Dukey Jan 22nd, 2007 04:38 AM

I'm with Larry..I. would much rather look AT the Mont at night than be on the Mont and looking over at the mainland but some may feel differently.

cls2paris Jan 22nd, 2007 06:24 AM

Hi - I stayed at Hotel de la Digue. It is the last hotel before the causeway. We had a room with a little balcony that gave us a view of MSM. We walked over to go inside. I agree with some of the others, it was so cool to see MSM. When you are on it, you can't see it. We got to the hotel around 4, checked in and walked to MSM. We wandered around, had dinner and then got up early the next morning so we would hopefully miss some of the crowds.

Being there in the evening was wonderful - no crowds. Seeing it lit up at night from a distance was magical. The place is packed with people during the day. Have fun, it is truly something not to miss.

http://www.ladigue.fr/anglais/index.htm

Dave_in_Paris Jan 22nd, 2007 07:06 AM

So would it be correct to say that the lodging choices are mediocre and overpriced on the Mont, with a walk from the overrnight parking lot to the hotel, the plus being enjoyment of the Mont on foot after tour buses leave, while lodding across from the Mont iswithout much charctater, with the appeal of that choice the view? If one opts for the later, what are the dining options if the walk across the causeway for dinner is too daunting?

rkkwan Jan 22nd, 2007 07:17 AM

It's about 1.5 miles from the junction of D257 to the entrance of the mount. Your hotel may be further south, or not. I guess it depends on weather and how tired one's legs are if it's feasible to walk or not.

Dave_in_Paris Jan 22nd, 2007 07:21 AM

Thanks. In this case it's a knee problem of one person in the group of six, so given that distance, I'm pretty sure the answer is no causeway walk.

Pausanias Jan 22nd, 2007 08:05 AM

Dave, I think you have it about right. I can't comment on qualityof the mainland restaurants. If I was to return to MSM -- which I hope to do to take the in-depth tour -- I'd bring a picnic for dinner. Simple bread, cheese, sausage and/or pate and wine.

Photobear Jan 22nd, 2007 08:12 AM

Is there public transportation from the Causeway to the mont? (meaning from the hotels at one end of the causeway and the Mont)

My husband had knee replacement and I want to secure arrangements for him.

Underhill Jan 22nd, 2007 09:04 AM

Speaking as a knee-problem expert, I can say that just walking from the causeway parking lots up through the walls and the village and up the abbey stairs is absolutely daunting and painful. Someone with bad knees will find going up the many, many stairs to and within the abbey quite difficult; last time I stayed in a caf&eacute; with a book while by two friends made the climbs (I'd seen the abbey before the knee went bad). The Mont is just not designed for anyone with walking difficulty.

There are any number of places to eat in and around the hotels on the land end of the causeway.

If you want to see the Mont at night, you can always drive over after the tour buses leave.

cls2paris Jan 22nd, 2007 09:20 AM

There is a handicapped parking lot close to the entrance, but I think it is one of the lots that are affected by the tides so you'd have to check to see if it will be available. I don't think there were busses that drive across the causeway, but I'm including a website that should give you more information.

I second Underhill. It is not really handicap accessible on MSM. You go up steps to the entrance and then up the road to the top. Once inside, you walk down steps through the various rooms and then out.

You may want to contact the hotel to ask if they offer shuttles. I didn't see any but I was there about 4 years ago and things may have changed.

http://www.ot-montsaintmichel.com/accueil_gb.htm

Dave_in_Paris Jan 22nd, 2007 09:49 AM

Thanks to all. I will pass these remarks on to our friends/relatives/travel companions.

LarryJ Jan 22nd, 2007 04:37 PM

Yes, there is a bus that goes out to the mont. I rode if from the train station at Pontorson to the mont.

Larry J