MSM and hotels near the causeway

Jul 16th, 2001, 03:18 PM
jean

MSM and hotels near the causeway

Does anyone have recommendations of hotels near the causeway for Mont St Michel. I think the view of the Mont at night (and maybe at sunrise) would be a better experience than actually staying on the Mont. Also, about how long is the walk across the causway. Thanks,Jean.

Jul 16th, 2001, 06:50 PM
StCirq

We were just at le Mont-Saint-Michel about 10 days ago and saw all kinds of motels and hotels in the village that is nearest the beginning of the causeway (such as it is), including a bunch of French chain hotels that didn't look terribly appealing, but might be practical - sorry, I can't remember which (probably Mercure, Sofitel, Formule 1). There really isn't a causeway yet (they're shutting down the site for two years to build one) - there's simply a big long bridge type of road that traverses the area between the mainland and le Mont.Walking across it would be a pretty good hike, at least from the hotels on the mainland - I'd guess a half-hour walk at least, then you deal with the stairs up to the top of the MSM. There was nothing appealing about any of the hotels we saw on the roadside leaving the Mont - they are I'm sure clean and practical, but why not stay on le MSM itself at night and experience the town bereft of tourists?

Jul 16th, 2001, 08:30 PM
jean

St. Cirq, thanks for your response.

I didn't realize the bridge was that long. Where do you park when staying on or visting the Mont? Is that a long walk also? Some one had mentioned the Hotel de la Digue to me. Has anyone had any experience there? Thanks, Jean

Jul 17th, 2001, 07:15 AM
jean

Topping

Jul 17th, 2001, 07:34 AM
Betty

Jean, I was there last fall. I think the town St. Cirq is referring to is probably Pontorson. Sorry, I don't know of any specific hotels there but you might search some of the hotel sites mentionned here for that town. We actually approached from a different direction. I do agree, however, that staying on the mont might be pleasant. I remember some threads here about hotels there. Try a search for Mont St. Michel (and hope it's working today!) As for parking near the mont, no problem. There is a pay parking lot very near the base of the mont.

Jul 17th, 2001, 10:45 AM
StCirq

Jean: There's a parking lot at the end of the road to the Mont, directly "underneath" it. Depending on the tide, various parts of the lot are open and various closed. I think it cost 15F to park there, but don't quote me on it - I had barely missed running over a traffic cop who jumped in front of my car as we pulled up, and wasn't paying much attention to the money. Yes, Pontorson is the town we came through

Jul 17th, 2001, 11:03 AM
sherri

If you want to stay at an inexpensive (less than 300 francs per night w/o breakfast), try the Hotel Formula Vert. It is one of the new and cheap hotels just before the causeway. You can get spectacular views of MSM from this hotel, especially great sunsets and sunrises. If you want to spend a bit more, then try http://www.logisdefrance.com They list several hotels in the area.

The rooms at the Hotel Formula Vert are basic with comfortable beds, private bathroom, satellite television with CNN or BBC, and extremely clean. Both times that we stayed there, the staff spoke excellent English.

There is a grocery store across the street and lots of restaurants. This area is just before the big parking lot where you must park to visit MSM; it is less than a quarter of a mile.

Jul 17th, 2001, 11:22 AM
sherri

Oops, that web site for Logis de France is http://www.logis-de-france.fr

The site is available in English. They have several hotels for Le Mont St. Michel.

These hotels are great and usually have fantastic restaurants. The prices are extremely reasonable.

Jul 17th, 2001, 03:51 PM
jean

St Cirq, Betty & Sherri, thanks for all the good info.

We will be there the first weekend in October. I think the Abbaye closes at 430pm. Besides dinner, what does one do on the Mont in the evenings in Oct? Thanks again.

Jul 17th, 2001, 04:03 PM
StCirq

Jean:

Well, it's been a number of years since we stayed on the Mont for the night (this past trip we were based in Fougères to take in some other sights as well), but first, dinner in France usually begins around 8 pm and lasts until 10 or after, so there's not that much time to do anything after dinner, and in October it will be dark by the time you're finished. But once you've clambered all over the island and seen the abbey, to kill the time before dinner you could take a drive along the coast (the route de la baie), or you could do what the French do everywhere - sit in a café and have a glass of wine or a cup of coffee and write your postcards or take your trip notes, or just unwind. And I don't know about in October, but in early July all the souvenir shops were open until 7, and there's certainly enough tacky souvenirs to gape at to keep you occupied for at least a half-hour, probably more.

Jul 17th, 2001, 06:40 PM
Sue

"they are closing down the site for two years while they build the bridge."

TWO YEARS? Closed completely? What will the poor people who depend upon tourism to the area do? Surely there will be some provisional measures taken during construction?

Jul 18th, 2001, 06:43 AM
jean

St. Cirq, thanks again. Can you tell me about Fougeres? I think we may be taking the train from Paris to Rennes and then picking up a car. I'm looking for stops along the way to MSM.

Jul 18th, 2001, 07:24 AM
StCirq

I got the information about the two-year closing from a website I read before our trip. I tried to confirm it while we were there, but no one seemed to know for sure how long the work was going to take, although most people agreed the work would commence in October 2001. Apparently, there are all kinds of major engineering projects in the works, related to shifting tides and major changes in the ecology of the bay, as well as the challenge of building a new, sturdier causeway.
As for Fougères, it's a very nice town, and we picked it because we wanted a base for seeing both St-Malo and le MSM, but also because we had purchased tickets for a "spectacle," Les Féeries de Mongothier, and Montgothier is relatively near Fougères. Knowing that the spectacle would be over very late at night, we did not want to have far to drive. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Fougères to others, as it involves a fair amount of driving (70 km to St-Malo, e.g.)to get to the main sites. If you're passing through the area, though, be sure to visit Vitré, which has some of the most outstanding restored half-timbered houses I've ever seen, as well as a large château and interesting cathedral.

Feb 13th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Debbie

Does anyone else know anything about MSM closing for two years? I do not know if I am reading this correctly and had wanted to go with my daughter next month.Thanks-

Feb 13th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Betty

Here is a site that explains the de-sanding (desensablement) of Mont Saint Michel. http://www.france-ouest.com/mont-saint-michel/ If you need to have it in English, you can go to Google.com, type in "Mont Saint Michel" and click on "translate this page" beside the heading for this site. Although the translation leaves a lot to be desired, I think it is still fairly easy to understand what they are going to do. Not sure how up-to-date it is, but it says the project is to begin in summer of 2002 and be completed by 2006. And, you will be happy to know, it also says that the Mont will remain accessible during the entire project.

Mar 5th, 2002, 01:28 PM
travel bug

What about visiting in Oct.? I would think that the tour buses leave really early & it must get dark by 5 PM. Does this mean that an late afternoon visit shouldn't be done ? How late can someone stay on the Island in the evening if they're not staying over?

Mar 5th, 2002, 01:51 PM
rick

Jean: In answer to one of your questions, I stayed at Hotel de la Digue in Sept. 2000. The hotel is located at the beginning of the causeway and the rooms are very clean. Very functional, but zero ambiance. From the dining room, you can see MSM aglow in the distance. From my room, all I could see was a nondescript field and canal. If I had it to do over again, I would either stay on MSM to enjoy the atmosphere of the island at night or stay in St. Malo (which was very interesting) and do a day trip to MSN.

Mar 5th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Sally

There is a sound and light show at the Abbey of Mont San Michele at night.

Mar 5th, 2002, 07:09 PM
Sue

We stayed in Avranches on the bay to the east of MSM. We really love the little town, went to see the place where Henry II did penance (for killing Thomas a Beckett, I think) and a great Patton memorial, complete with tank, went shopping (got darling baby outfit for one of my former students) and found a nice tea/bar place. Stayed at the Hotel du Jardin des Plantes (www.le-jardin-des-plantes.fr) and from our window could see MSM (though views vary with the weather). In fact the great part was seeing MSM from everywhere--the road, Henri II's place, the room at the hotel, the Jardin des Plantes. The hotel is on a square and there is lots of easy parking. It also has a restaurant, just so-so, but easy after a long day sightseeing.