Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mozart,Due Torri,Locarno, or Portoghesi??Please respond if you have stayed at any of these hotels.

Mozart,Due Torri,Locarno, or Portoghesi??Please respond if you have stayed at any of these hotels.

Oct 16th, 2000, 07:14 PM
margo

Well, it is down to these hotels. Please don't tell me anything that the internet already says BUT if you have personal experience with the above, please let me know. Thank you

Oct 17th, 2000, 03:10 AM
Ginger

Dear Margo:
I had a question just like yours not long ago and when I searched this forum I found many posts with personal experiences regarding Due Torri and Portoghesi. We are staying in Due Torri next week. Hope it as wonderful as so many people stated.

Oct 17th, 2000, 09:22 AM
markg

Margo,

I assume you mean the Due Torri in Rome.
We stayed there 3 weeks ago. What we liked specifically about the Due Torri was we found it to be a very charming place with an exeptional location. We found we could easily walk to all the major sites with the Pantheon and Piazza Navona only a few blocks away. The rooms are not large but very comfortable but most important, very quiet. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had driven into Rome and the Hotel reserved parking for us in a garage that was literally across from the front of the hotel so we found this to be exceptionally Convenient. Overall we were very pleased with the hotel and would stay there again.

Oct 17th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Vern

Hi Margo-
Ditto the post above. I was also there about three weeks ago. Had a room on the 5th floor with a terrace. We loved the hotel and the location and the staff.

Oct 17th, 2000, 06:32 PM
Daniel

Margo,

I just got back from Rome this past week. We stayed at the Portoghesi, which was great, all around. Some rooms are a bit small, but most are remodeled. You cannot beat the area near Piazza Navona. The Portoghesi is on a quiet street within about a 5 minute walk. The staff was helpful, but some were not very friendly. We checked out a number of other hotels, though none you mentioned. We wouldn't stay anywhere but the Portoghesi next time. Also, we had no problem with pickpockets. The city was exceptionally clean, the people very friendly, and the taxis are very inexpensive to travel around the old city. You will love Rome. Feel free to e-mail me with any specific questions.

Oct 17th, 2000, 07:49 PM
luigi

Margo,
Not sure when you are going, but we leave Sunday for Rome. We are staying at the Mozart. I will be back on 11/3 and can give you my opinion then. It came very highly recommended by the guy and his wife (Alan & Diane Epstein) who wrote the book "As the Romans Do" and she personally went and looked at the rooms. So, from what I've read here about the others, I don't think you can go wrong with any of these choices. If you have time before your trip and want to know how it went, feel free to e-mail me.
ciao,
luigi

Oct 18th, 2000, 08:21 AM
richardab

I am the poster child for the hotel Due Torri and, of course, I highly recommend it. The location is quiet , the staff is friendly and they have a nice simple morning breakfast. The rooms a cozy and have modern baths. The rates are pretty good too. The location is convenient to almost all major sights or within a 20 min walk. You can't beat it!

You can see some pics of the Due Torri and more info about Rome on my websight. The sight isn't completely finished but the Rome section is.

http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/

Follow the path;

Enter>Fly>Europe>Rome

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Oct 18th, 2000, 08:24 AM
RichardAB

There have been some complaints about some shady dealings at the Portoghesi on this forum. Try using the search function.