Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Moving to Ireland- suggestions of where to live? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/moving-to-ireland-suggestions-of-where-to-live-601722/)

littlerandi Mar 23rd, 2006 09:02 AM

Moving to Ireland- suggestions of where to live?

Hello!

I recently wrote a post about travelling to Ireland this summer, but I think I'm going to move to Ireland in October and spend the year there instead. Now, I'm trying to decide where to live. I know Dublin is supposed to be amazing, but I also hear that it is tremendously expensive. Any suggestions of other places to live?

I'm 23 and I'm a very artsy person (I studied theatre and literature at university), I like big cities, but I also like the small town feel. I'll need to find a job where ever I live so I have to factor that into the living equation as well. I'm looking to meet lots of people as I know no one in Ireland...

Suggestions? Places you live/like?

Thanks!
Randi

Alec Mar 23rd, 2006 09:23 AM

Do you have an Irish or another passport from an EU country? Because everyone else needs a visa and one won't be readily issued without a work permit, for which you need a sponsorship from an Irish company.

bobludlow Mar 23rd, 2006 09:36 AM

Galway is a great town of 70,000 people on the west coast of Ireland with a lively music scene, beautiful medieval architecture, and an active Gaelic language subculture. Its local airport has direct flights across the UK and it is only 90 minutes from the Shannon International Airport.

Steeleyes Mar 23rd, 2006 10:50 AM

A second vote to give Galway serious consideration.

GreenDragon Mar 23rd, 2006 11:17 AM

You need to find out IF you can live and work there -- as Alec mentions, there are hoops to be jumped through for any change of country.

Ireland is a little less restrictive than most, especially if you have parents that were born there. However, you still need to put everything in order BEFORE you travel there. If you are a student, you can go over on a work-study program. If not, you will need to have a job over there hire you and sponsor you for a work permit. In order to hire you, they have to advertise first in the EU and determine no one there fits the bill, before they can hire outside the EU. It's not easy!

littlerandi Mar 24th, 2006 08:06 AM

I'm lucky because I plan on going to Ireland with a Canadian program called SWAP. If you register with this program, they get you a VISA so you can stay and work for up to 1 year (so I don't need to worry about that).

JoanneH Mar 24th, 2006 08:09 AM

I lived in the "west" years ago. In a small town between Ennis and the coast.
Took some getting use to but I loved it. Galway has more action but there are many small towns around it and the bus transportation at least then was good. Train service to Cork and Dublin is good it all depends on what you want

annw Mar 24th, 2006 08:21 AM

Another vote for Galway. University, city life, small towns nearby, cultural events, good pubs.

bobludlow Mar 24th, 2006 09:14 AM

I just traded emails with some friends who recently moved from Dublin to Belfast and they confirmed that Dublin is a much more expensive place to live than the rest of Ireland. They figured that a flat in Dublin might cost 50% more than a similar flat in Galway or Cork. The higher real estate costs ripple through the rest of the economy - even groceries cost more in Dublin. Of course salaries tend to be higher too, but that might be more because of the kinds of jobs that are available in the capital compared to other parts of the country.

So what do you think of our Galway idea?

littlerandi Mar 24th, 2006 10:48 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Yes, it sounds like Galway might be a great place for me!Does anyone know if there is any type of theatre scene there? Also, I am planning on moving in October, do you think it will be easy to find a casual job there (i.e. work in a cafe, pub...)at that time?

Once again, thanks for your help :)
Randi

MaryZ Mar 25th, 2006 12:50 PM

Galway's theater scene is second only to Dublin's. There are several companies, and university productions, as well. I think you're going to be delighted.

It's going to be a breeze for you to find a 'casual' job. Galway isn't as dependent on tourists as some places, so doesn't experience as much of an off-season. It's a busy, bustling place.

You're 23 and off to live in Galway for a year. Oh, I'm SO envious!

littlerandi Mar 25th, 2006 01:22 PM

Thanks MaryZ, I'm glad to hear about the theatre scene!

Now that you've all got me thinking about Galway, anyone know what rent is like there? I'd be looking for a single room in a shared house or apartment...Do most people pay by week or by month? What can I expect to be included in rent?

As well, I won't have a car, how is the transportation system? How should this affect my accomodation search?

Thanks again everyone!
Randi

SiobhanP Mar 27th, 2006 02:19 AM

Randi, The theatre scene might be bigger in Dublin and to be honest it is NOT 50% cheaper for apts in other areas. It will be slightly cheaper in the country but not a huge amount. I would say galway for arts but if its theatre I could consider Dublin for the big theatres and festivals as well as small productions in local theatres like Dub Laoghaire and Blanchardstown that have community theatres that are quite large. For shared rentals check out www.daft.ie which most people use and they have a shared section to get a feel for prices. If you are more interested in Street theatre then Galway would be better for groups like the Machnas (SP?) they are more performance art/parade festival based. You could also volunteer and get involved in the St Patricks festival on the creative side from oct which is the early days of the planning. Let me know what specific queries you have about Dublin as I live here.

bobludlow Mar 27th, 2006 06:03 AM

SiobhanP, you are doing your maths wrong. If Dublin is 50% more expensive than Cork or Galway than those towns are 33% cheaper...not 50%. Furnished apartments run about 1200-1400 euros/month in Dublin and 750-900 euros/month in Galway. Unfurnished would obviously be cheaper - but I assume a Canadian living in Israel might be traveling light.

bobludlow Mar 27th, 2006 06:08 AM

I just realized that the price ranges that I mentioned (1200-1400 for a Dublin apartment in a decent area and 750-900 for Galway) are for furnished TWO-BEDROOM apartments. Unfurnished would be cheaper. One-bedrooms or simple room rentals would be much cheaper.

bellini Mar 27th, 2006 06:46 AM

I'm recommending CORK- lovely situation, University town, lots of arty things to do. Cheaper than Dublin

littlerandi Mar 27th, 2006 01:29 PM

bobludlow- you would be correct, I am certainly travelling light, so will be looking for a furnished room.

So bellini recommended Cork, that's the first recommendation for this city. What are other people's ideas about Cork? I'm guessing it doesn't quite have the smaller town feel that Galway might have...

Thanks SiobhanP for your Dublin help...It seems right that the theatre scene there will be better, but as a person who is low on cash, I'm thinking that even 33% better in other cities might be helpful for me! But I would definitely make trips to Dublin to see theatre and whatnot...How far is it from Galway to Dublin?

Thanks to everyone who is posting here! I can't wait until October :)

SiobhanP Mar 28th, 2006 01:24 AM

OK its just insane to assume everything is 33% cheaper. I live in Ireland and no its not a huge difference city to country just slight. You have better chances of getting a job and better pay in Dublin especially in tyhe restaurant scene. If you can do silver service/upmarket waiting you will make even more. You can gert a shera in a house apt for anywhere from 450-600 pp depending on how nice you want to live. Check out daft.ie and it will show you lots for around 500 dublin as a shar in the city centre...it gets cheaper as you go further out. Ok Galway is 350-550 the more you pay the closer you get to the city. Just see what arts opportunities are avilable and work and then go from there.

Edmundus Mar 28th, 2006 03:52 AM

If you are planning to spend one year in Ireland it would probably be best to go to Dublin.Everything in Ireland seems to revolve around it and it has lots of things to do. Some of them are free,including the National Gallery and National Museum (3 sites). While the cost of accomodation will be higher wages are higher too.Dublin is the headquarters of Ryanair (www.ryanair.com) and Aer Lingus (www.aerlingus.com) and they offer great value trips all over Europe if you want to travel a bit further.The Abbey Theatre (www.abbeytheatre.ie) charges about $15 for Saturday matinee shows.

littlerandi Mar 28th, 2006 08:57 AM

Just wondering what are good job searching sites for Ireland (in case I decide I want to look for a job other than that in the service industry...). Thanks!