Reload this Page >

Moving to France:

Search

Moving to France:

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Bob

Moving to France:

I'm moving to a town 3 miles from Cannes in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I need to get some French lessons, I speak no French and while my children will be at school and my husband at work this could occupy my time since I will be at home full-time. <BR><BR>Thanks.

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:04 AM
xxx

Try the Delphi Francophile forum. You'll get good advice there.

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:23 AM
xxx

Message: Try the Delphi Francophile forum. You'll get good advice there.<BR><BR><BR>That forum is so snobbish with it's pinkies in the air crowd.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:56 AM
Barbara

There is an association that welcomes recently arrived people and helps them adapt. I found the one in Nice very helpful. The one in Cannes, Les Accueils des Villes Francaises phone number is 04 93 94 41 82. They will have someone there who speaks English and they have French lessons, cooking lessons, "Adult Study Trips" etc.

Old May 13th, 2002, 04:29 PM
Bobby

Barbara,<BR>Thank you very much I will get in contact with them.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 02:36 PM
"Xxx" the First

I was the first "xxx" who recommended another forum as helpful. I'm sorry but my opinion of this forum has changed drastically in the past month. The "chemistry" of the group has changed, and I find it rather unwelcoming to outsiders, to put it mildly. I regret having recommended it and wish I could delete my post, although I'd remain hopeful that it may again change for the better in response to nice newcomers needing help and advice.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Steve Mueller

<BR>You might consider swapping English lessons for French once you are living there. Find someone that speaks some English but would like to learn more. Even a teenager would suffice. We did this in Japan, and it was very effective. You might be surprised by the number of people around the world that would like to improve their English skills. Use your native language skills to barter.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Bob

xxx: thank you for trying to help, it seems that some people like to put more effort into being totally useless than being helpful. I sometimes feel exactly as you do about this forum, it used to be a place where people could get good advice. Recently it has become a forum for people who have nothing better to do than take out their anger on complete strangers. <BR>Steve: Thank you for your wonderful advice. What I've decided to do is this, my husband also needs to learn the language he will have private lessons at his office provided by his company and I can also attend these lessons. I also plan on hiring a person to help me around (find the supermarket, kids school bus stop, clothing stores) until I can handle it by myself I feel this person will be a great help to me in learning what I need to know right away.<BR><BR>Thanks again I really appreciate the help. Only 1 week before I leave.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 04:00 PM
Xxx, the First

Actually, I was refeerring to the Francophile forum, which I'd originally recommended as a fine source of guidance, but which I now have serious reservations about recommending to anyone because of its rather "closed" atmosphere for lack of a better term. (However, it is NOT nasty like Fodors can sometimes be.)<BR><BR>I think Steve's suggestion is a very good one.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:46 PM
more thoughts

There's an international college in Cannes where maybe you can take French classes or maybe you can find a student to help you with French in excahnge for English practice as someone else suggested .

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:53 PM
kate

Bob?<BR>I cannot help with the language lessons but just wanted to wish you a happy trip and good luck in France<BR>A friend of ours ,born and raised in Brooklyn NY, married a man, had 2 children and then they decided to move to France.<BR>It took a little while for her to adjust,but now they are sooo happy.<BR>I am sure you will be too!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:30 PM
xxx

Maybe find some organization or civic group that does volunteeer work and participate in it??? it would be a way to meet friends, get to know the community, and force you tocommunicate in any way possible. combine that with language lessons on the side if possible.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 08:03 PM
wonderer

Have you moved? Will you check back in?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 10:47 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I'm a brit who relocated to southern france.<BR>my website has useful info.<BR><BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com/<BR><BR>Peter