Movie Theatres in Paris

May 15th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Movie Theatres in Paris

Hi all! My friend and I would like to go to the movies during our week in Paris and I was hoping to avoid the cineplex at Les Halles in lieu of something more intimate and/or charming, historical, etc. Does anyone have a theatre they'd recommend where we'll be able to see a film in English (version originale) aside from the mega-theatre at the Forum?

Many thanks!

Christina
May 15th, 2006, 02:07 PM

The Odeon on Blvd St Germain
May 15th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Scarlett, I'm glad you responded (I enjoy your responses)...any particular reason you like this theatre?
May 15th, 2006, 02:16 PM

Hi Christina, thank you.
We usually stay on rue Jacob which is a block off of Blvd St Germain and the Odeon Theatre is a nice short walk from there. There are 2 or maybe 3 theatres and we have managed to see version originale movies there.
"Any particular reason you like this theatre?"
It is the only movie theatre we have gone to so I cannot really compare
May 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Most of the areas in Paris where theaters are concentrated will have English-language movies that are subtitled. Theaters in more out-of-the-way areas will have mostly dubbed films. The magazine Pariscope can tell you wish theaters have subtitled films.

Possibly the most charming theaters in Paris are the Rex and the Pagode.
May 15th, 2006, 03:36 PM

travelbug, this is the theater I wrote about in my thread Paris, this and That.

http://www.cinemastudio28.com/visite.htm
May 15th, 2006, 03:49 PM

1travelbug
My favorite, besides the Odeon, is the Saint-Germains-des-Pres next to the Cafe Bonaparte.
May 15th, 2006, 04:42 PM

I love La Pagode but I think they mainly have french language films.

http://www.cinematreasures.org/theater/6906/
May 15th, 2006, 04:44 PM

Oh didnt see Anthony had already mentioned La Pagode. Le Grand Rex that Anthony mentioned is incredible as well but again unfortunately has mainly French language films.
May 15th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Cigalechanta...very, very cool theater! I'll have to keep that one in mind...

Scarlett and Maribel...I'm certain we'll be wandering in those parts so I'll keep an eye out for both theaters.

AnthonyGA...I had checked out the Rex before posting my question...the main theater is absolutely MASSIVE! They also offer behind the scenes tours that sounded interesting...

On a related topic, does anyone know if there is a French "moviefone.com" where I can look up movie times? We're heading out on Wednesday and we won't have internet access so I'd like to get an idea of what's playing when before I get there...

Thanks so much!

Christina
May 15th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Yes its http://www.allocine.fr
May 16th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Odéon is not the name of a cinema, or rather it is the name of two cinemas -- the UGC Odéon and the MK2 Odéon. They are both among my least favorite in Paris, just because they are so totally ordinary.
The two best modern cinemas in Paris are the MK2 Quai de Seine-Quai de Loire and the MK2 Bibliothèque. The Quai de Seine-Quai de Loire is actually two 6-screen cinemas facing each other across the Bassin de la Villette with a little ferry boat connecting them every few minutes; they also have an excellent restaurant, several cafés and a really great cinema bookstore.
The Bibliothèque has spectacular architecture, 12 screens, 6 restaurants and various shops.

In terms of old cinemas, just about all of them are reperatory houses now and are great if you want to see old movies -- the Grand Action, the MacMahon, and quite a few little places in the Latin Quarter are very atmospheric. The Studio 28 in Montmartre would be delightful if it were programmed better (it shows second-run movies, different movie every day). It should be pointed out that in a lot of these small old places, you can hear toilets flushing during the movie or the metro rumbling under the building.

In terms of impressive screen size and quality, unfortunately Gaumont Grand Ecran at Place d'Italie has closed, so now the 2 best places in terms of a luxury experience are the big screen of the UGC Normandie on the Champs Elysées or the big screen of the Publicis Cinéma also on the Champs Elysées. However, I have not visited the newest showplace that just opened last week -- the new UGC Ciné Cité at La Défense, which has decided to impose v.o. in an area that was all v.f. up until now.

I can give you information on just about every screen in Paris since I see about 200 movies a year in cinemas.
May 16th, 2006, 02:39 AM

Oh, as for the Grand Rex (www.legrandrex.com), unfortunately not only is it always in v.f. but it is also on its last legs. As the largest cinema in Europe (2800 seats), there is just no way to fill it anymore, so they run a big blockbuster for a couple of weeks and then they close it for concerts and other activities. However, it is the only cinema with an actual audioguided tour which is quite well done, including special effects. Kids especially enjoy this visit, as you follow a projected cartoon woman through the guts of the cinema, in a glass elevator behind the screen and up to the roof, among other things.
May 16th, 2006, 02:57 AM

v.o.??????

v.f.?????
May 16th, 2006, 03:04 AM

v.o.= version originale, movies shown in original language with French subtitles.

v.f.= version francaise, movies shown dubbed in French.
May 16th, 2006, 03:25 AM

Thanks for that clarification, Nikki.
May 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

MorganB...thanks for the link, although I can't for the life of me figure out how to bring up movie times on this site (I swear I'm internet-savvy...might just be my lapsed French preventing me from clicking on the right buttons?).

Kerouac, the 2 modern theaters sound interesting...anything you'd recommend in the Latin Quarter or Montparnasse that would place 1st-run flicks? By the way, I do hope you get paid to see all those movies (4 per week on average!?)...it sounds like you're a true cinephile~

Christina
May 16th, 2006, 09:39 AM

There are so many theaters in Paris that it really isn't a problem in the central area finding lots of English-language films, although I wouldn't call many of them atmospheric. There are a couple "atmospheric" art house cinemas I like, but that means the theater isn't usually as nice as larger, modern ones (and in the summer, you can practically die from no AC) -- I usually go to the Lucernaire Forum (near Notre-dame-des-Champs metro)or the Saint Lambert in the 15th for more arty things. They are both atmospheric, I guess, and both do show English VO films. I tend to stay in Montparnasse, so that's why I usually go to theaters in that area. I kind of like the Denfert, also, for a more atmospheric place (near place Denfert-Rochereau). That doesn't mean these are grand old restored theaters that I call atmospheric, though; they are definitely more intimate. I just end up going where they have what I want to see, at the right time. The ones I names are more repertory and have a schedule that varies by day and time of day, a lot.

I agree the Odeon theaters are just ordinary, and UGC, but there are many first-run theaters around, all you need do is look in an entertainment guide to see the films, times and language (eg, Pariscope). I think the Parnassiens and Gaumont Parnasse in Montparnasse are probably two I least like. I really like some of the bigger, grander ones as they can be more comfortable. There are lots of chain theaters in the 14th/15th, most mid-level. Of course, first-run movies aren't really first-run if they are American (they come out in Paris about the time they come out on DVD in the US). They newest films will be European, but you may find a first-run British film.
May 17th, 2006, 01:01 AM

Actually, 1travelbug, I do pay to go to the movies, but I have a subscription of 36 € a month that allows me unlimited access to just about every cinema in Paris (and that's important when most of the big places are charging 9.50 € per ticket). In Montparnasse, I would recommend the Gaumont Parnasse which is really quite nice since they totally renovated it. In the Latin Quarter, there is no place that is really "nice" -- because the big old cinemas were converted to shops and most of the little art houses are quite uncomfortable. If would nevertheless recommend the Panthéon, the Studio des Ursulines or the Epée de Bois for atmosphere, but all of them usually show pretty obscure movies.

As for Christina's comment about American movies coming out late in France, I would have to say that this information is completely outdated, as not only do numerous American movies come out earlier in France (sometimes 3 or 4 months earlier like Matchpoint or Lonesome Jim), but due to video piracy, all of the major American movies are now obliged to come out on almost the same date all over the world (if you look at the Da Vinci Code website, for example, you'll see that it comes out in France, Belgium, Switzerland and places like Bahrain or Dubai today -Wednesday- before it opens in the U.S. on Friday). Some movies do indeed come out late, but this is known as a "technical release" in France -- when there is not much of a market for a movie, it cannot be marketed as a "real" movie but only as a "video movie" if it goes straight to video. In this case, it comes out on about 5 screens in France for one week and disappears without a trace.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO