Movie: Apres Vous/Setting: Chez Jean in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this movie last night. It had some very funny moments and three wonderful actors, Daniel Auteuil, Jose Garcia and Sandrine Kiberlain. The job interview scene is classic. The restaurant setting is Chez Jean, has anyone been there? It looks like a top notch brasserie as long as those two aren't working that night!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 08:29 AM

I have been to Chez Jean in the 9th - is this the one you are speaking of? we enjoyed it. They have a great tasting menu and a la carte isn't too terribly expensive either. Cool bar upstairs, too. One negative: My friend who recommended it and had the tasting menu and loved it, but when she returned 6 months later the tasting menu hadn't changed, so she was sort of disappointed. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

I'm not sure where that Chez Jean is, I googled it and a few came up. It looks like a good place though, glad you enjoyed the one you went to!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM

My wife and I went to Chez Jean on the recommendation, my mothers name was Jean, so we thought, why not. Very cute place, nice people, but honestly, didn't really understand the food and we are in the restaurant business. Of all the many meals in Europe we have had, this was the one place we just didn't get food wise. I think i ordered lamb, but honestly, it resembled nothing I had seen before!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Oh oh, my goodness, I wonder what it was then! Well, that isn't a very good report, I wonder if it is the same place as in the movie.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:10 PM

Now I will definitely see the movie and hopefully will recognize whether the resto is the Chez Jean I am thinking of or not! Is the movie in theaters or a rental?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

It's playing in Los Angeles, it is a good summer escape movie. Let us know if it is the same place (and if you enjoyed the movie).
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM

What you saw in the movie may or may not be a real place or have the same name!

We recently stayed at Hotel Langlois in Paris, which had changed it's name to same after being featured in the movie "The Truth About Charlie".

We did have dinner one night at Chez Jean on rue St-Lazare in the 9th (just down the street from the hotel). We loved that place in every way! Chef/owner Jean-Frederic Guidoni worked for years in the kitchens of Taillevent. The menu could not be more appealing. Had we been hungrier, we would have opted for the 70 euro seven course tasting menu (which looked magnificent when served nearby) - a virtual bargain for food of this quality and presentation in Paris. The cheese course looked positively amazing (and was served with great flourish!).

At this Chez Jean, dining is on several levels, including an open mezanine above, with a large, long, bar area. Deep red moleskin banquets with beautiful matching chairs. Decor (except for the backside of the vintage entrance) is sort of "minimalist", but beautiful, with candles burning everywhere.

The service here was some of the friendliest we've ever experienced in Paris.

It was written up in "My Paris is Better than Your Paris" which has circulated all about the web, so reservations are essential.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM

I saw Apres Vous several times to try to identify the restaurant. There was a scene with an ash tray that had Chez Jean on it. Also an outdoor scene with Chez Jean on the awning. The second restaurant is Le Lys d'Or which cigal(sp ?) mentioned. It is in the 12th arr.
I checked the ending movie credits and saw Brasserie La Fontaine also in the 12th according to the credits. There were others, I think, restaurants noted. I haven't seen photos of Chez Jean on the internet.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 03:48 PM

Is it in French with subtitles??
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 05:03 AM

Yes, in french with english subtitles