Mountain near London?

Search

Mountain near London?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountain near London?

My fiancé and I are going to be in the UK for ten days in July and we are hoping to walk up a mountain.

We’ll start out in London and then hope to spend two days max on this side trip.
Any recommendations where we should go?

Ideally we don’t want to go more than 5 hours away by train or car—and the location of lodging and the mountain are in close proximity. Less transit hassle. But if you know an excursion company that assists with this kind of stuff that is great too!

We’d love to climb Snowdon in Wales, but it might be too far away—especially for train.

Thanks!
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 05:02 PM

What do you mean by "walk up a mountain". Typically one would walk up a hill but climb a mountain. What height mountain are you talking about? Do you have experience and equipment to climb a mountain - or are you really just talking about walking/hiking in the countryside?

To get to real mountains (versus hilly countryside) you would have to go quite far north.

If you can provide more information people can give you more specific suggestions.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Walk, climb, scale, whatever you want to call it--we want to reach the top of a mountain

We are experienced, but ideally would like to do an easy to medium path.

Thanks!
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Define mountain. England is not generally considered to have any mountains, and one could argue about Wales. If you want to actually climb a real mountain while in the UK I would have thought that meant Ben Nevis, but that's in Scotland. You could take the night train north...
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 06:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you thinking of tall mountains -- like the Alps or Sierra Nevada? If so you are going to the wrong country. There are mountains (though not massive ones) in Scotland and Wales - but none are close to London.

>>if you know an excursion company that assists with this kind of stuff that is great too!<<

Since the UK is not a mountainous country there wouldn't be much call for mountain climbing tours.There are walking tours - but generally in places like the Cotswolds or along Hadrian's Wall, etc. You could go to Scotland or North Wales for a few days. But to actually scale the mountains (as opposed to hill walking) you'd need to be very fit and have foul weather gear.

What is it that made you think there are mountains near London? Maybe your image of England/the UK needs revision . . .
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 07:01 PM

Ain't no such thing by standards of countries that have real mountains. But if something rising to barely 1,000 m strikes you as worthy of the word "mountain", then there are a couple - see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...dom#Marilyns_2
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 07:20 PM

The mountains near London are in France.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 08:39 PM

Take the train 5 hours to Penrith in the Lake District hire a car then make your way to the top of Scafell Pike. I can recommend the Bridge Hotel in Buttermere. You may also enjoy a walk in the 'mountains' around Buttermere for beautiful scenery, weather permitting. Then return through Windermere to Kendal on to London via train. Two days won't allow you much time but it can be done in a rush.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Perhaps if you stand on the cliffs at Dover, you will feel like you are on top of a mountain.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, if you want to visit Snowden, it's three hours by train from London to Bangor, where you'd probably need to rent a car. Then you can take a train up Snowden....
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 09:16 PM

Jeez guys -- lighten up. "Hill walking" would likely fit the bill. I bet Snowdon has been referred to as a mountain before.

Not sure about the logistics from London, but Snowdon is an obvious choice. So obvious that you will certainly not be alone.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ng-snowdon.cfm

We walked up the less-used Ranger's path and enjoyed it. Public transportation will likely be easier on the other side from Llanberis where you can catch the shuttle to the Miner's Track route as well.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM

I was going to recommend snowdon as well. Many of my friends have climbed it.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 11:44 PM

http://metricviews.org.uk/2008/09/wh...-and-all-that/
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 12:10 AM

How about one of the lesser peaks in Snowdonia? Far less crowded and far more enjoyable as a result. One of the Carneddau perhaps. They are over 3000 feet too.
You will need good class 3 boots, and the correct clothing. Also make sure someone knows what you are doing, in case of an emergency.
If you want some rock climbing that can be had in North Wales too. Tryfan for instance.
The Brecon Beacons could also offer you the required hill walk, again less popular than Snowdon, which gets packed at the summit, even in pretty bad weather.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 12:29 AM

Train London to Penrith 3 hrs
Bus Penrith to Glenridding 45 mins

From Glenridding walk up Helvellyn (but not when it's windy)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvellyn
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 12:50 AM

I wonder about Plynlimon. I don't know if it's a big hill or a mountain but it's the source of the river Severn.
You could stay in Aberystwyth. The area generally is very picturesque and Aberystwyth is one place where you will hear Welsh spoken, if that interests you.
London to Aberystwyth by train takes about 4 1/2 hours
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 01:16 AM

While you've time to plan, you might like to try to get hold of this movie:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eng...own_a_Mountain

or more seriously, see if you can find Julia Bradbury's Wainwright Walks, a TV series and accompanying book about walks in the Lake District.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 01:16 AM

You will hear Welsh in Bangor and throughout Snowdonia too.

There are plenty of options offering some pretty stiff hill walking, including the Peak District and parts of the lower Pennines too.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 02:18 AM

I didn't say THE one place. I lived in Aberystwyth for several years. It's a centre for the Welsh language and you hear it in shops, pubs, on buses etc.
If you'd settle for a hill, then Long Mynd is a very pleasant walk, again in a picturesque area with small interesting towns.
http://www.churchstretton.co.uk/dire...ow_to_Get_Here
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 03:28 AM

If you are experienced and have brought the proper clothing, I think Toucan's recommendation of Scafell is excellent.

Snowdon is an interesting mountain. One side is a walk up a gentle slope on a paved path, if I recall correctly. The other is steep enough to have technical climbs and was used in the winter to train for Everest.

The issue in either place is having waterproof jackets and trousers and something more than running shoes (UK trainers) on Scafell and the big side of Snowdon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -