Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Moulin Rouge - formal attire?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/moulin-rouge-formal-attire-178203/)

Jen Aug 20th, 2001 04:10 PM

Moulin Rouge - formal attire??

OK, my husband won't feel like he's seen Paris unless he goes to the Moulin Rouge. I was browsing the net to order tickets in advance (should I, or should I wait and have hotel make reservation?), and noted that formal attire is required. Are they serious about the dress code? Does my husband need a tux? <BR> <BR>Your thoughts, please, and thanks in advance.

Karen Aug 20th, 2001 04:21 PM

We were there for the dinner and show in June. My husband and sons wore khakis and dress shirts, no ties, and were among the better dressed.

x Aug 20th, 2001 05:56 PM

: We were there for the dinner and show in June. My husband and sons wore khakis and dress shirts, no ties, and were among the better dressed. <BR> <BR>-and that, in sum, is why I think the show would be as tacky as prom night at the mall

Suzi Aug 20th, 2001 06:32 PM

X, you're quite right. The show is tacky and not at all worth the hefty price tag. However, my companion, like Jen's husband, just had to do it because, well, we were in Paris. I endured the show, much as I endure those awful Las Vegas revues that he so loves. <BR>Jen, do what you gotta do...our hotel booked the show for us. Just don't take the dinner!!!

Edward Aug 20th, 2001 07:39 PM

Jen: <BR>I enjoyed the show and rather casualy dressed. I would enjoy dinner at a better restaurant than take in the show. I took my 17yr old nephew we both enjoyed the show. He particularly because he got to drink champagne and see half nacked women. It was fun & worth the experience.

xxx Aug 21st, 2001 05:48 PM

I would hardly compare the Moulin Rouge to Las Vegas shows. It does have some history and tradition to it. I think it's worth seeing. Casual dress is fine. Skip the dinner.

Cher Aug 21st, 2001 08:51 PM

Your husband would be out of place in a tux, just as much as he would be wearing jeans. The people I saw there dressed nicely, but, not formally. We went in August, and never even thought about reservations. We came for the second show (11:00) and there was a huge line about a block long going down the street. We watched more and more tour busses arrive and causually asked a tour guide if we would even get in. She suggested to give it a try, and sure enough we did get in. It might matter what time of the year you're going in. They sat us in the champagne section, which was 530f per person including champagne. We enjoyed it, and still enjoy talking it. <BR> <BR>

Margie Aug 22nd, 2001 06:50 AM

Skip the dinner as was suggested. My girlfriend &lt; (who lives in tacky Las Vegas) and I thoroughly enjoyed the show. It certainly wasn't a Broadway Production, but we though the girls were beautiful. We met a lovely couple from Mexico, who spoke fluent French and really enjoyed our evening. We actually loved the second act of the show even more, an adorable French girl singing beautiful French songs. What we did'n know until later that the area it is located isn't the best area of town. We tried hailing a cab for over an hour un-be-known to us they don't stop unless you are standing at a taxi stand,(two blocks away). It was one of several times we were rescued but a really nice French man. Walked us all the way to the stand. Definitely not formal attire.

Jen Aug 22nd, 2001 04:32 PM

Have you asked around about the show at the Lido? I think it is a much better show that Moulin Rouge! The place is full of tourists anyway and definitely no formal dress code for either place. <BR>My husband wore dark slacks and nice shirt. I wore a pants outfit and no problem. We opted for the lowest price dinner and thought the deal was pretty good! IMO Lido is better!

John Bermont Aug 22nd, 2001 06:58 PM

<BR>Yes, the Lido is quite a production, not quite Lost Wages but definitely worth a visit if you like Vegas and have traveled all the way to Paris. Getting intimate, the Crazy Horse is a small theatre where you are but ten feet from the stage; take your lover - this place is not for the prudish. <BR>John Bermont <BR>www.enjoy-europe.com/cds/france.htm