Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Moulin Rouge dinner? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/moulin-rouge-dinner-421188/)

Neva Apr 11th, 2004 08:02 AM

Moulin Rouge dinner?

Hello -
Had anyone have dinner at the Moulin Rouge before the show? Is it worth it? Or is it better to have dinner some place else and just head for the show afterwards?
Thank you.

ira Apr 11th, 2004 08:07 AM

Hi neva,

I think that the majority opinion is that the meal is not worth the price.

There are many who think that you get a better show at Lapin Agile.

francophile03 Apr 11th, 2004 08:22 AM

I paid for the dinner/show. About the dinner, you can do better elsewhere. But the tradeoff is that you get the best seating as the dinner patrons fill up the main seating area. Our seats were right next to the stage. The good thing is obvious, you don't have to crane your neck to see everything. Bad thing is the stage retracts and extends and when it extends it pushes against your table. Another bad thing sitting so close is if you are afraid of snakes. They have a water snake act where they have a woman performing in a glass-enclosed pool filled with quite a few large snakes. We booked through our hotel using Euroscope tours and paid for the Toulouse Lautrec menu which is the moderately priced menu but very expensive!

francophile03 Apr 11th, 2004 08:24 AM

Forgot to add that it was amusing to see all the men looking very awestruck with their mouths practically open! :)

ira Apr 11th, 2004 08:33 AM

They'd never seen a snake before?

francophile03 Apr 11th, 2004 09:12 AM

I guess not, Ira; it looked like the first time ever! :S-

Budman Apr 11th, 2004 03:16 PM

We went to the Lapin Agile and got up and walked out. I would not recommend it unless you speak French. ((b))

Budman Apr 11th, 2004 03:20 PM

We went to the Lapin Agile and got up and walked out. I would not recommend it unless you speak French.

If you do decide on the Moulin Rouge, don't do dinner. There is a great restaurant in the area called Le Restaurant. You will need to make a reservation. It's a couple of blocks walk from the Moulin Rouge. We had an outstanding Valentine's Dinner there last year. ((b))

ginn Apr 11th, 2004 04:04 PM

How about the Folies Beregere? Would this be a better show than Moulin Rouge?

francophile03 Apr 11th, 2004 04:33 PM

I think if you really had to choose between these two shows, the Moulin Rouge I've read is better. I've only seen the Moulin Rouge show and it was pretty good surprisingly.

LynFrance Apr 11th, 2004 05:30 PM

I've been to both and IMHO the Follies Bergere is far superior.
Since we had been to the Follies twice, we decided to try the Moulin Rouge and we were really disappointed. We thought the MR show was actually pretty tacky.

ira Apr 11th, 2004 05:39 PM

Hey budman,

What was the problem at Lapin Agile, besides it being in French?

francophile03 Apr 11th, 2004 07:32 PM

I'll take it that the FB show is not as tacky as MR as I'm not planning on going to another one of those shows. That one Moulin Rouge show was enough for me to last more than one lifetime. I think the guys (old and young) are not really there for the show itself anyway.:)