Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Motion Sickness Cure: Ginger! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/motion-sickness-cure-ginger-730672/)

PalenqueBob Aug 21st, 2007 06:41 AM

Motion Sickness Cure: Ginger!

Today's NYTimes Science page carried an examination of the idea that ginger can lessen motion sickness as good or better than usual medicines.

After examining many tests they concluded that yes ginger is remarkably effective against motion illness.

janisj Aug 21st, 2007 07:32 AM

This has been well know for years and years. I think the first time I personally heard of it was maybe 1969/70-ish

Maybe because there is a large Pacific/Asian population where I come from - but it was just common knowledge around these parts . . . .

janisj Aug 21st, 2007 07:33 AM

. . "well known" . . .

cigalechanta Aug 21st, 2007 07:38 AM

The subjects in this research were given two capsules of GROUND ginger, not the fresh that I use in my cooking. There wouldn't be enough of ginger's active ingredient.

Bloom Aug 21st, 2007 09:01 AM

Must be why it's not uncommon to treat nausea with flat ginger ale.

Bloom

violetduck Aug 21st, 2007 09:17 AM

I purchased ginger gum at the drugstore for upcoming trip.It was with the motion sickness meds.

julia_t Aug 21st, 2007 09:27 AM

I first learnt of ginger as an anti-nausea medication when pregnant.

Nibbling crystallised ginger was recommended, though I prefered ginger biscuits. Seemed to be reasonably effective.

I have since used it with varying success on the children - thankfully they seem to have mostly outgrown motion sickness as they have entered their teens.

Incidentally, bags of crystallised ginger are sold in a little shop situated where the cars queue up at Dover prior to boarding the cross-channel ferries.

sessa Aug 21st, 2007 09:36 AM

Runners (generally long-distance) also use this to help alleviate nausea, but I guess since they would be causing their own motion sickness an even easier solution would be to simply stop! :)

nytraveler Aug 21st, 2007 09:57 AM

Ginger has been reco'd for decades for motion sickness.

I thnk how effective it is depends on what/how you use it (ground ginger obviously better than ginger ale) byt also how bad you motion sickness is.

I tried it once and it did nothing - on a flight that was without any significant turbulence. The ONLY thing that works for me is Dramamine. But I can get nauseous standing on the dock watching the boats go up and down.

Just a suggestion to be sure that it does work for you before you rely on it completely.

scotlib Aug 21st, 2007 10:09 AM

Ditto to nytraveler: Use the ginger if you know it works for you, but best have a backup plan if it doesn't.

I went prepared with ginger cookies and crystalized ginger on a 5 hour ferry trip. They weren't enough to keep my tummy happy. I was soon in the duty free shop to get one of the two-tablet Dramamine packets, and then sweated out the 45 minute wait until the drug kicked in.

I love the flavor of ginger, but Dramamine will be in my pocket for future trips.

PalenqueBob Aug 21st, 2007 10:18 AM

how bout ginger-flavored Dramamine?

FLJudi Aug 21st, 2007 11:03 AM

Check with your doctor before using ginger.

From the PDR "Avoid If...
Although there's no evidence that Ginger is harmful during pregnancy, officials recommend that it not be taken for morning sickness. People with gallstones should not use it unless their doctor approves. Because of its anti-clotting properties, it should be avoided by anyone in danger of internal bleeding.

Special Cautions
High doses (6 grams or more) may damage the stomach lining and could eventually lead to ulcers. Allergic skin reactions are also possible, but in recommended doses, Ginger causes no side effects.

Possible Drug Interactions
It's best to avoid large doses of Ginger if you are taking a blood-thinning drug such as Coumadin."