Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Motiasovce and Stara Ves, Slovakia
Notices

Motiasovce and Stara Ves, Slovakia

Mar 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Motiasovce and Stara Ves, Slovakia

Can anyone tell me a little about two towns in Slovakia -- Motiasovce and Stara Ves. These are the areas where my grandparents grew up. While travelling to Krakow, Poland, I would like to know the logistics of visiting these areas in Slovakia. From what I’ve read, the towns are very close together and are just over the border from Poland, southeast of Krakow. How long of a drive is it in hours? How difficult of a drive is it, i.e., what is the terrain like since it appears to be a mountainous area? Are there trains or buses from Krakow to either town? Any suggestions about this, and any other information on these two towns, are welcomed.
Apr 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Hope you speak Slovak, Czech or Polish.
In general, only the under-30 crowd speaks English (including priests), and they're unlikely to be too interesting in genealogical pursuits. I'd suggest finding a genealogical forum, where you could ask where the documents you seek would be located.
As it turned out, the baptism records from my GGGF's church had been "relocated" by the Soviets from the church to a central regional records office in, as I recall, Presov. So what you seek might now be in Stara Lubovna or some such place. I was on a similar quest, but no one in Lubotin spoke English,

Search this Thread