Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mother/Daughter Trip to France - need help w/ itinerary from Paris to Nice (15 days)

Mother/Daughter Trip to France - need help w/ itinerary from Paris to Nice (15 days)

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom (54)and I (29) are doing a France trip for 14 days in May. We are starting in Paris and making our way south, ending our trip around the Nice area.

I was thinking 4 full days in Paris, day 5 traveling via train to Lyon, staying there for 4-5 days, seeing the sights and taking a day trip or two to surrounding towns - perhaps some vineyards, etc, day 10 taking the train (or renting a car) and heading to Nice for the remainer of our trip (about 4 days) and seeing all of the Riviera.

My questions are:

1. Should we get a hotel in Lyon and take day trips from there? or is there a better area for a home base? And how long should we stay?

2. Should be rent a car for the drive down to the Riviera or Train and rent a car once in Nice?

3. What town should we stay in the Riviera? They all sound wonderful - Nice, Monaco, Cannes, Marsille...
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 12:30 PM

Paris, Lyon, and Nice is certainly a nice French trio; 4 days average each is a reasonable plan. I would however allocate more days to either Paris or Nice and about 3 days to Lyon. Do keep very much in mind that the Cannes Film Festival will be in full swing May 17-28. The French Riviera will be very, very crowded. I doubt that you will find a lot of alternatives for lodging in Nice at reasonable prices during the time of the festival. If that coincides with your itinerary, I would encourage you to look for an alternate destination in the South of France, possibly somewhere in Provence.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

hhmm... would you suggest scrapping Lyon all together then? And allocating a few more days in Paris (perhaps a day trip to Versailles) and then more time in the Riviera as well? Cannes film festival eh?? Sounds FUN. Maybe a little crowded and crazy for Mom though..? I'm honestly not sure...what are your suggestions for Provence? Any thoughts on staying in or around St. Tropez? Just in FYI: My Mom and I BOTH are big fans of scenic stuff - keeping that in mind, any suggestions are helpful - also, should we rent a car once in the south?
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 01:57 PM

If you choose to spend a few days in Provence, Avignon would be a good base. You can take daytrips by either train or bus. If you rent a car, you can tour some of the villages in the Luberon.

If you decide to stay in Nice, book a place ASAP. You can easily take daytrips by train or bus along the coast and by bus to some of the nearby hilltop villages. You probably don't want to drive while the Cannes Film Festival is in progress.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:07 PM

Personally, I don't love Nice because it reminds of a typical beach town and nothing really 'special' about it. Then again, I know people who thought Nice was the highlight of a 2 week trip to Europe, so to each their own. But Nice is a good base to explore from. I'd focus Riviera time on the smaller towns along the coast.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM

If this is your first trip to France and you plan on flyng to Paris and then home from Nice, I think that you might spend 7 days in Paris, fly to Nice, pick up a car at the airport and spend the remainder of your time on the riviera. There is surely plenty for 6 days of exploration along the coast. Lyons is for the 3rd or 4th trip.

Have fun.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 04:05 PM

You don't need a car in Nice or most of the French Riviera. Public transportion is great. We used buses and trains. I have been traveling with my mother(now she's 68) for 15 years mostly in France and Italy. My mom loves to hit towns on market days. We did use a car around Arles..Vaison la Romaine never for Paris. Mom's favorite day trip from Paris was Bayeux for the American Cemetery and DDay beaches. Avoid Cannes during the film festival. Antibes is nice as is Menton for smaller towns on the F.R. We had great fun staying in Vaison la Romaine as the entire town turns in to a food market on Tuesdays. I adore Nice and am going back next week. Of course we plan our entire trip around broquantes and vide greniers and the monday antique market in Nice is great. The Vanves market in Paris is best.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:16 AM

mfernett--- if the trip is next month (May), you are cutting this planning kind of close. I imagine you already have airline tickets arriving in Paris departing from Nice? I wouldn't take Lyon out, it is one of the most beautiful and interesting cities in France. The shopping is absolutely fabulous, I think you and your Mom will love Lyon. Likewise, the French Riviera and the Alpes Maritimes region has some of the most spectacular scenery I've ever seen, so the issue is not the three home bases, but the logistics. I honestly think you should settle home bases ASAP and start researching the lodging, transport between cities, sightseeing list, etc...
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:43 AM

I concur with stanleys - don't worry about Lyon, leave it for another trip. Concentrate on Paris, then train or fly to Nice. However please be aware it is also Monaco Grand Prix week leading up to May 28. So finding suitable accommodation around Nice near that time could be difficult.

But if you still want to stay in the area, I would suggest Villefranche-sur-mer or Cap Ferrat both to the east of Nice.

Have fun!

S
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:11 AM

As cities go, I think Lyon is far more interesting than Nice, so I wouldn't take it out if I were you.

I think 5 days in Paris, 3 or 4 in Lyon and 4 in Nice would be just fine. You could easily base yourselves in Lyon and take a day trip or two.

For example, if you're interested in vineyards then you could have a lovely day driving through the Beaujolais hills. I can recommend a couple of beautiful restaurants for lunch in the area, both little known gems with stunning views, and well off the usual tourist path.

I don't think you mention your exact travel dates, but bear in mind that May 1, May 8 and May 25 are public holidays in France which mean that trains and roads are likely to be very busy over those long weekends. Also, shops and businesses will be closed on those days.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 04:42 AM

I went to Lyon on my 5th trip to France. I only wish I would had gone there straight from Paris on my first trip. Lyon is a gem. If undecided, just read on this wonderful city and decide for yourself if you rather visit sooner than later.

As far as Nice, I loved it as well, not sure I would like to be in the area during the Cannes Film Festival. If that happens to be the timeline of your trip, I agree w/posters on Menton and places east.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 05:28 AM

We rented a car and drove to St. Paul de Vence, a tiny walled town near Nice. It had been recommended on this site. It was very crowded when we arrived in late afternoon, but once the tourists left, it was very quaint. We stayed at the Hostellerie les Remparts for a reasonable rate (atleast it was in 2002). It's an artsy town (reminded me of Taos or Santa Fe) with galleries. The web address is www.saintpaulweb.com/remparts. Another small town we loved was Cassis. It was between Nice and Marseilles. Then we stayed at a B&B in St. Remy de Provence (L'Amandiere)and did a day trip to Rousillon, which was sweet. So, if you're looking for smaller towns, these might work for you two. Not far from Paris is Chartres, with a magnificent cathedral, lovely market on the weekend and the Eure river flowing through. I thought I was on a movie set when we wandered the streets behind the cathedral. I just glow, remembering our time there. We were there the last two weeks of May and the weather was great. You'll have a fabulous time, I'm sure.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:01 AM

Sounds like a great time. Now at the tail end of a two-week planning jag for a trip to Provence myself, I'd caution you to look fulltime starting now for lodging if you simply must go to Provence. A major Cezanne exhibition is coming to Aix all summer, and it seems that the entire town of AIX is already sold out.

I had a similar experience in Nice also. You might try www.hotelwindsornice.com
www.aria-nice.com HOTEL VILLA LATOUR
www.hotelbeausite.net -this one is not in nice but it looks lovely.

These are all hotels that offered me rooms.

I seriously suggest that your best bet is to go to one of those sites where you can enter the travel dates and they show you places available and then you just take what you can get.

I'll be truly surpised if you can find anything this late. That alone might determine your travel plans. If I were you, I'd just avoid the nice area altogether and go to the Luberon and St. Remy. IMHO.

If you do, I can give you the names of places there also that recently offered me rooms.

You will be astonished how full even this area is already. In fact, if you haven't even been to Paris, you can easily easily easily enjoy every single minute of two weeks in Paris. Take that travel money and buy something fabulous in PAris and have the time of your lives.

Yours,
MC
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I vote for staying near Avignon area with a rental car and exploring the area. We did that in 2001 and it was wonderful.

I too did not care much for the busy crowded beach town of Nice but we stayed at a nearby little town called VilleFranche Sur Mer just west of Nice about 20 minutes and only about 30 minutes from Monte Carlo we stayed at a lovely hotel on the water, I will find the name of it if you would like. Very reasonable with a balcony overlooking the Sea. What a nice memory as I write this.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:43 AM

I don't write this to be picky, but to help the OP find it on a map: Villefranche-sur-Mer is EAST of Nice. And I agree that it would be a good alternative to Nice for a base on the Cote d'Azur.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:52 PM

The hotel TheVagabondLady was referring to could be the Hotel Welcome. Very nice hotel but already fully booked during that period - I made enquires recently.

Perhaps the area around St Tropez should also be considered.

S
Old Apr 20th, 2006, 04:43 AM

TimS...

oops...sorry..I always get confused in europe on east and west and I don't know why? It's like when I am in Chicago I know Lake Mich is on the east but I just can't seem to get it straight in my head. I'm much better with left and right...duh...LOL