Mother/daughter trip: paris, venice, florence, rome, barcelona, madrid

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Sorry for the overwhelming topics, but I am going to Europe this summer for 3 weeks with my mom. We've booked our flights and now need to set accomodations and plan transportation. I would like some advice on places to stay. We are looking for cheap yet safe places to stay in. For example, in Paris I am clueless on where to stay. I am slowly learning about the different districts. Also I would like to know if anyone would know where to find cheap flights traveling within Europe. Thanks so much in advance for the help!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:47 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You need to state a per night hotel budget and what amenities you need.

Where are your flights in and out?
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Sounds like an exciting trip!

It would be a good idea to share your exact budget/budget range for hotels. "Cheap" can mean a lot of different things to different people.

Also, what are your must-haves? Private bath or is a shared bathroom down the hall okay? Do you need an elevator or are you okay with climbing lots of stairs? Any mobility issues at all? That sort of thing.

Which budget is a good place to start looking for cheap intraeuropean flights

http://www.whichbudget.com/
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

I was looking into hostels/hotels and was thinking of a price range of no more than $100, is that too low? I'm unsure of what exactly would be considered economical.
Flights are out of madrid, we are starting in paris.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:55 AM

(what kybourbon said...I always start typing and then distracted by shiny things and post too slowly)
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Apres_Londee Thanks! Must-haves would have to be a private bathroom and mobility is not an issue.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM

$100 US per person, or for both of you? Or do you mean €100?

This is a good website to look at- go to the drop down menu for "cities" at the top left corner. It will give you a feel for budget options and what you can get for your money (it's not completely comprehensive but a good place to start to get info)

http://www.eurocheapo.com/

Something else to think about is, the more you move around the more money you spend- it takes money to get to and from airports, and buying the tickets themselves, plus you always end up spending more on travelling days (at least I do- drinks, candy, magazines, that sort of thing).

Some hotels give discounts for long stays and offer a cheaper rate for stays of 5 or 7 nights or more. And if you stay longer in one place, renting an apartment and saving money on food becomes a possibility.

If you really want to see all the different cities then go for it, but if money is a serious constraint, maybe think about cutting down your itinerary.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:15 AM

Are you flying into Paris and out of Madrid? How many days do you have?
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:17 AM

Sorry, I see you have 3 weeks.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:24 AM

I would also recommend, at least in Italy, to look at convents and monastery stays. Usually very inexpensive. You get a clean bed and a bathroom and a simple breakfast. But do you really need a phone, tv and internet? If not, good choice.
Only caveat- many have 11pm or midnight curfew (hey, someone's got to lock the doors). If you are not late-night partiers...

http://www.monasterystays.com/

In Paris, my daughter and I stayed at the hospital hotel. Yes- that is correct! The price was awesome and we were-literally- across the street from Notre Dame.

It is the oldest city hospital and they earn money for indigent care by letting rooms in a little boutique hotel area they created on the top floor of the hospital. Unique, awesome and you cannot beat the price. Small rooms but huge bath. Clean (hey-it's a hospital!) haha LOVED IT! Metro is right outside the front door, as is a taxi stand!

http://www.hotel-hospitel.com/ang/accueil.htm

Make sure you check any/all accomodations for A/C! If you are going in summer, you will need it.

Have fun! I love traveling with my adult daughter! Memories you will both keep forever.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Apres_Londee I guess I would say 100 US Dollars and for the both of us. Thanks for the advice, it helps a lot.

Judy We are meeting in London bcs we are flying seperately but want to take the Eurostar to Paris and will start there. Yes we will fly out from Madrid and have a total of 3 weeks.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

sarge56 Thanks so much for the ideas! Very interesting, I am so exicted!
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM

In Barcelona and Madrid these are basic and affordable options with private bathroom as central as it gets. Should meet your budget. I've stayed in the place in Barcelona and my brother stayed at the place in Madrid when we were there in 2010, and we've been perfectly happy.

Barcelona:
Orleans: http://www.hostalorleans.com/

Madrid:
Perla Asturiana: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/la-p....en.html?dva=0

About the areas of the hotels, El Born in Barcelona and Plaza Santa Ana in Madrid:
El Born: http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...s/el-born.html
Plaza Santa Ana (300 meters from the Perla Asturiana):
http://www.gomadrid.com/sights/plaza-santa-ana.html
http://www.barrioletras.com/
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your post is very vague, but I will try to help you.

First of all, you are visiting too many places in three weeks time. You are only spending 3-4 days in each city, AND you are forgetting about travel time (checking out of hotel, getting to airport, flying to location, getting a cab into the city, checking into new hotel, unpacking, etc.) This will take up much of your time if done 5 TIMES, sweetie darling!!!!!!!!

Most of us here need at least 7 days in a city like Paris or Rome.

But, it is your choice of course!

Here is a budget hotel in Paris. It is near the Sorbonne in the 5th, very close to major attractions and a metro station (Maubert-Mutualite). You can walk to Notre Dame from the hotel:

Hotel College de France.

You can usually find budget accomodation around the Gare de Nord in Paris.

In Rome, look for something near Termini, someplace like the Hotel Kennedy.

I have been to all of the places you list above and all of my hotel rooms have been over 100 euros even for a single.

Your budget of $100 is too low for this forum.

If you want HOSTEL ACCOMODATIONS, you would be better off posting at Thorn Tree over at Lonely Planet. That is more a backpacker type forum.

This a more of a first-class crowd in Fodorville

For a budget airline, look for something like Paris to Venice on easyjet. Visit www.kayak.com for flight info.

You could train between Venice, Florence, and Rome.

Good luck!

Tschuss,
Pepper--posting in Fodorville for 11 years
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:55 AM

It never hurts to ask in multiple places. Some of the responders are not always kind, but I do hope you find advice that will helpful to you. There are posters who seek advice here for your budget but it is harder to do in some cities. In Paris, you may need to stay in some of the higher numbered arrondissements to find the price you want. You might to search the France forum by the poster "Kerouac" , he lives in Paris and has suggested some lower priced options to others previously.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:57 AM

I agree with Pepper. Especially, if money is an issue, you can save quite a bit by cutting down your stops. Plane and train fare can really add up quickly.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 10:04 AM

Most people overspend on hotels and souvenirs when traveling in Europe. Sooner than cut destinations, look for other ways to economize.

I also disagree that this is too many destinations for 3 weeks. It may be too many destinations for you and your mom, but had you posted two threads, one that asked how to see paris, venice, florence, rome in 2 weeks, and barcelona and madrid in 1 week, nobody would have batted an idea. In "Fodorville", some people can't handle going to different countries, or having more the "3 destinations."
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 10:06 AM

Sorry -- should have been "batted an eye" (shouldn't type with jet lag).
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 10:09 AM

Also, the idea that "Fodorville" is a first class crowd is nonsense. They are a timid 3* star crowd, and very disapproving of first class air or hotel stays.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Kimhe Thanks for all the info, very helpful!
Zeppole and denisea Thanks, I've never traveled like this before, just wanted some insight, thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -