Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   MOTHER/DAUGHTER TRIP(dont know where to go) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mother-daughter-trip-dont-know-where-to-go-64068/)

Lauren Feb 29th, 2000 07:48 PM

MOTHER/DAUGHTER TRIP(dont know where to go)

I'm going to Europe for the second time this summer with my mom. I've already been to major cities in Italy, France, Switzerland, and England & NEED SUGGESTIONS!! Please write back so we can plan a great trip on my semester break from college. Thank you!

susan Feb 29th, 2000 09:46 PM

As for France we loved Fontainbleau (likely spelled wrong) and doing Normandy is wonderful as well. As for England have you been to Lincoln? York is also great if you haven't been there. <BR>

Harriett Mar 1st, 2000 05:35 AM

Unless you're just stuck on big cities, you might consider Ireland. It's an incredibly beautiful country, easy to navigate, the people are charming, it can be remarkably inexpensive (if that's a consideration), there's always an intriguing castle or monastery ruin around the next bend, and it's small enough to be able to see a lot of it in relatively short time. Be sure to read the recent posting here on Northern Ireland . . . This was the first place we took our children in Europe, and it made a lasting impression. <BR> <BR>Have fun, wherever you wind up!

redneck Mar 1st, 2000 05:42 AM

My standing advice is this: <BR>When you run out of cities, go climb an Alp. There are lots of them. <BR>Try the walk from Lauterbrunnen over to Kandersteg via the Sefininfurke and the Hohturli. There are mountain hotels along the way. You follow a route that leads over 2 classic high passes that demand good conditioning.

jo Mar 1st, 2000 09:51 AM

My mom and i went last year to london <BR>and copenhagen. I had never been to copenhagen before and loved it. THey <BR>have great museums there, and its easy <BR>to get around and beautiful. People were <BR>so helpful and nice and spoke excellent <BR>English. Also tivoli gardens was a blast.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Mar 1st, 2000 11:45 AM

OK Lauren, Here it is---forget the big <BR>cities and see the natural splendor of <BR>the Alps and the Lakes. You do not mention how much time you have or which <BR>month. However, try this one: <BR>Fly into Zurich---train to Interlaken <BR>but stay at Grindelwald---3 days <BR> <BR>Train to Lugano---2 days--fabulous chic <BR>resort town on the Lake <BR> <BR>Bus to Lake Como from Lugano--only and hour---stay at Bellagio---3 days <BR> <BR>Then, it depends. Probably back to Lugano for train to Luzern---2 days <BR> <BR>You can train to the Zurich airport from <BR>here in an hour on departure day. <BR>This is an itinerary that must be done <BR>once in your life---the best of the Alps <BR>and the Lakes--it does not get any better than this. <BR>

elvira Mar 1st, 2000 01:54 PM

So, maybe set a theme, like a literary (Jane Austen sites, or Peter Mayles' Provence) or food (truffle-hunting or paella) or wine (obscure Rhine wines or all the Grands Crus of Bordeaux) or artist (places Picasso lived or painted, or Caravaggio paintings) trek. <BR>Or visiting as many village churches as possible or castles that played a part in the Hundred Years' War. <BR>Or some off-the-beaten path place (as in not a big tourist bus mecca) like the Canary Islands or Malta or tiny Greek Island. <BR>If you like to bicycle, how about the Loire Valley on bikes? Or pick some little country, like Luxembourg, that gets short shrift on the tour circuit. Or follow St Jacques' route... <BR>Then you have the countryside of Wales or Scotland or Northern Ireland or north of England.. <BR>How about a tour of Iberia?