Mother/Daughter Trip

Jun 21st, 2003, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Mother/Daughter Trip

The first week in October, my daughter and I will be flying in to Madrid and traveling in Spain for a week. We are loosly planning to spend 2-3 days in Madrid, visit Toledo , possibly Cueneca. My son reccomends Seville and I understand there are good trains. My questions are:
Hotels vs Hostals I am 60 and really want a private bathroom and some creature comforts, though charm usually wins out in a contest of hotels. My daughter wants cheap. Can someone suggest a place to lay our heads in Madrid , Seville , Toledo?
I am gritting my teeth and trying not to do too much --we will only have a week. Could we get to the Alhambra or should I save it for possibly future trips( sigh)
My daughter LOVES tapas. Suggestions for wonderful stops? Are the Wellington Society ( Stephen Drake) tours good or are we just as good going out on our own and discovering?
Jun 21st, 2003, 07:50 AM

Hi tycho!
I'm never really sure when someone says "cheap" what they mean, because it's all relative, I guess.
Using my vocabulary, though, for Madrid, at least, I would suggest the Gran Hotel Reina Victoria, on Plaza Santa Ana, which is THE tapas bar area in Madrid. The hotel is really beautiful and the rooms are wonderful, with dark wood and marble baths. In 2000, we had 2 rooms with breakfast for $100 each room. I checked out the Tryp website, and it looks like the price hasn't changed all that much.
Aside from the tapas bars located right on the plaza, there's loads of little streets that look like alleyways shooting off in all directions on the other side of the plaza, all lined with very good tapas bars as well.
Jun 21st, 2003, 08:31 AM

Have you thought about staying in the Paradors?
They have very good offers like 5-night cards (which comes to abt. 69 euro excl. VAT), 2 night special, young persons' getaway (for -30), golden days (for 60+).
The paradores are always in the best locations, are usually historic buildings and you will get the real feel of Spain.
Check out their website: http://www.parador.es/english/oferta...romociones.jsp
Jun 23rd, 2003, 06:32 AM

The problem is that Paradors in Toledo and Seville are away from the cities. ALso, no parador in Madrid. I agree with the Tryp option, also very good rates on their website www.solmelia.com
Jul 28th, 2003, 08:25 PM

My wife and I stayed at the Reina in May of 2003 during the festival of San Ysidro. We had a top floor room with a balcony overlooking the Plaza Santa Ana. I liked the hotel, but the noise was unbelievable. It was loud until 3:00 and 4:00 a.m., so if you're noise sensitive, forgo the view and get a room in the back of the hotel.

The area is great. Lots of tapas bars and restaurants are nearby. It is within easy walking distance of all three major museums, the Atocha train station (which is where the fast train to Seville departs from), the Puerta del Sol, the Plaza Major, the Plaza Oriente and the Palacio Real.
Jul 29th, 2003, 03:44 AM

Hey tycho, sounds like a great trip.

Surfergirl, wow!!! That WAS a great price for the Hotel Tryp Reina Victoria but notice I stress WAS. That hotel is now just over 100 Euros per night for a standard double (excluding special offers and/or promos).

As a friend of mine says, they are living off of their reputation.

Yes tycho, the trains to Sevilla are good and you can get there in just over 2.4 hrs on the AVE (see the RENFE Spanish rail website at www.renfe.es for details, available in English as well).

In one week it is feasable to do Madrid for 3 days (including the day trip to Toledo), then Sevilla for 2 days and Granada for 2 more, back to Madrid in time to fly home.

Hope to hear from you soon as many have taken interest in your trip and posted here. Please let us know how the pla nning is going.

Saludos,
jer...

madrid nut, webweaver of www.multimadrid.com and keeper of the plaza-cam & sol-cam
--------------------
rent a cell phone from me for your stay in spain, more info at www.onspanishtime.com
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:25 AM

jerfrommultimadrid, you are not supposed to be advertising on this forum. If that is your standard 'signature' on all your messages, no matter if you're posting to Fodors or somewhere else, you should change it to a NON-ADVERTISING signature.
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:45 AM

All right, all right, I get the hint.

Get over it already!

If I could go back and edit all of the threads with the phone thing I could but this board does not seem to allow people to edit there own posts once they arer published, right?

Saludos,
jer...
Jul 29th, 2003, 05:46 AM

p.s. This is not a non-advertising forum but rather a non-UNPAID advertising forum. There is a difference.

Saludos,
jer...