Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   (Mostly) Final Italy Itinerary - input? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mostly-final-italy-itinerary-input-526309/)

hightide May 3rd, 2005 12:05 PM

(Mostly) Final Italy Itinerary - input?

Itinerary pretty much set but as you will see, still some questions. DH & I taking 19 & 22 year old daughters back to Italy ('back' for us, first time for them). Pretty ambitious plans, I know, but appreciate any input and feel free to help 'fill in the blanks'!!! As always, thanks!!!

(Must give MUCHO credit to Sally Watkins for making all arrangements - she's unbelievable.)

Day 01
TUE 5-10-05
Depart USA > Naples

Day 02
WED 5-11-05
Arrive Naples-11:40am, driver pick up, drive to Positano, Herculaneum on the way.
-Dinner: Palazzo Murat? Maxís?
-Hotel: (3 nights) Palazzo Murat

Day 03
THU 5-12-05
Explore Positano: shop, walk, eat, etc.
-Dinner: Il Ritrovo?
-Hotel: Palazzo Murat

Day 04
FRI 5-13-05
Boat/day trip to Capri?
-Dinner: Dona Rosa?
-Hotel: Palazzo Murat

Day 05
SAT 5-14-05
Driver take us from Positano to Naples, train from Naples to Siena, cab to hotel
-Dinner: ???
-Hotel: (3 nights) Palazzo Ravizza

Day 06
SUN 5-15-05
Go to church, walk, hang out (see whatís open, mostly just chill)
-Hotel: Palazzo Ravizza

Day 07
MON 5-16-05
Explore: Siena
-Hotel: Palazzo Ravizza

Day 08
TUE 5-17-05
Rent car, drive to Tuscany
-Hotel: (5 nights) Castello di Velona

Day 09
WED 5-18-05
Explore Tuscany, hang out
-Hotel: Castello di Velona

Day 10
THU 5-19-05
Explore Tuscany,visit hill towns and countryside

Day 11
FRI 5-20-05
Cooking class with Letiza Mattiacci in Assisi

Day 12
SAT 5-21-05
Day trip with Peter Kilby to hill towns and countryside

Day 13
SUN 5-22-05
Drive to Rome, turn in car
-Hotel: (3 nights) Albergo Ottocento

Day 14
MON 5-23-05
Rome. See: St. Peterís, Vatican, Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, etc.
-Dinner:
-Hotel: Albergo Ottocento

Day 15
TUE 5-24-05
Rome. See: Coliseum, Forum, Pantheon, etc.
-Dinner: Galiasi in Trastevere?
-Hotel: Albergo Ottocento

Day 16
WED 5-25-05
Depart Rome for USA

hightide May 3rd, 2005 12:20 PM

Have to add this: have been reading the hilarious "fashion do's & dont's" threads and just want to say this up front. I'll be the 40-something gal in cargo capri's and (mostly) white trainers. Sorry in advance but I'll try not to present TOO bad an image. Promise to leave fanny pack and ball cap(s)at home though (kids insist - outnumbered on that one)

TexasAggie May 3rd, 2005 12:34 PM

The only nitpicky thing I noticed was that you all may be extremely tired when you are seeing Herculaneum if you don't get much sleep on the plane, since you are seeing it directly after you arrive from the overnight flight.

I rarely get more than 2-3 hours of sleep on overnight flights and even though I am only in my twenties and fit, I am always really dragging on my first day in Europe and in a bit of a "foggy state"... not a good way to see Herculaneum, in a daze!

Could you perhaps go straight to Positano on Day 2 and relax there and go to bed reasonably early, then get up early on Day 3 and use the good SITA bus-Cirumvesuviana train transportation to see Herculaneum then? Or, if money is not a factor, you could hire a driver to take you from Positano to Herculaneum on Day 3.

I just think that everyone might enjoy the sight more after a night of at least a few hours rest, rather than after being awake 24+ hours.

tcreath May 3rd, 2005 01:00 PM

I do agree with TexasAggie about the daze part (jet lag always takes a toll on me) but I try my hardest to stay awake all day and I personally find that when I plan to do interesting things outdoors it always helps me stay awake. Both times we arrived in Rome we immediately headed over to the Forum and the Colliseum. The Forum is so amazing that I (almost) forgot about my lack of sleep!

But I agree with TexasAggie that if you really are tired, you should probably skip Herculaneum until you feel up to it. Its a fascinating place to visit, but if you are totally exhausted you won't want it to ruin your experience. I think you should probably just play it by ear and see how you feel when you arrive.

Tracy

hightide May 3rd, 2005 01:15 PM

Good points but just afraid we won't have another chance to do Herc. Only one full day in Positano if we do Capri.

When DH & I went before, did Pompeii after flight for same reason. Was hot and we were tired but got a great second wind and just made the best of it.

Thought about substituting Herc. for day trip to Capri since Capri wasn't 'all that' for me but girls are pumped about Capri (go fig). They want to go shopping, I wanted to squeeze in culture and history!

TexasAggie May 3rd, 2005 01:36 PM

Definitely try to see the Roman ruins of Tiberius' summer villa while on Capri.
Since your itin really does force you to see Herc. on your first day, you might try to grab a nip of expresso in the Napoles airport before being picked up by your driver to help keep you alert :-)

hightide May 3rd, 2005 01:58 PM

TexasAggie:

re: Tiberious ruins on Capri: great suggestion - hadn't even thought of that!

re: espresso: again, great suggestion!

touristblob May 3rd, 2005 04:02 PM

Fabulous itinery lots to see and do but a good balance your daughters will love it as we have daughters the same ages and have traveled to italy with them 4 times in the past 10 years ,its become our favourite destination.When in rome wander into the campo de forio see the markets and then wander back to the panthenon ,piazza navona and get lost in the maze of streets and little church`s .enjoy it all

hightide May 3rd, 2005 04:21 PM

Touristblob:

Thanks for the suggestion! Rome was kind of blank as far as details - other than obligatory tourist stuff. Good to have original things to consider, thanks...

TexasAggie May 3rd, 2005 04:43 PM

Have you thought about making reservations (mandatory) for the Borghese Gallaries? There is a maximum of 2 hours allowed inside, so your daughters won't end up with "art overload", but it is a MUST SEE in Rome in many people's opinion.

TexasAggie May 3rd, 2005 04:47 PM

sorry, meant to post that I was speaking about Rome at the beginning of that message, but hopefully it can be inferred from the last sentence. Here is Fodor's write-up on the Borghese:

Museo e Galleria Borghese

Borghese Museum and Gallery.
The palace, completed in 1613 for Cardinal Scipione Borghese (1576-1633) as a place to flaunt his fabulous antiquities collection and hold elegant fetes, is today a monument to 18th-century Roman interior decoration at its most luxurious, dripping with porphyry and alabaster. Throughout the grand salons are ancient Roman mosaic pavements and statues of various deities, including one officially known as Venus Victrix. There has never been any doubt, however, as to the statue's real subject: Pauline Bonaparte, Napoléon's sister, who married Prince Camillo Borghese in one of the storied matches of the 19th century. Sculpted by Canova (1757-1822), the princess reclines on a chaise longue, bare-bosomed, her hips swathed in classical drapery, the very model of haughty detachment and sly come-hither. Pauline is known to have been shocked that her husband took pleasure in showing off the work to his guests. This coyness seems curious given the reply she is supposed to have made to a lady who asked her how she could have posed for the work: "Oh, but the studio was heated." Other rooms hold important sculptures by Bernini, including David and Apollo and Daphne. The renowned picture collection has splendid works by Titian, Caravaggio, and Raphael, among others. Be sure to reserve admission at least a day ahead of time. www.galleriaborghese.it. COST: EUR8.50, plus EUR2 reservation fee; audio guide or English guided tour EUR5. OPEN: Tues.-Sun. 9-7; reservations required, entrance every 2 hrs.

Address: Piazza Scipione Borghese 5, off Via Pinciana, Rome, Italy
Phone: 06/8548577 information; 06/32810 reservations

hightide May 3rd, 2005 06:07 PM

Again, another good suggestion - great commentary too....

hightide May 4th, 2005 09:54 AM

Another question: in light of the impending rail strikes, should we get our train tickets from Naples to Siena (May 14th) in advance?