Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Check this site if interested on Rural Hotels in Spain!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rural tourism has gained tremendous following among discerning travelers looking to head down the unbeaten path. The following website lists the best rural hotels in Spain according to the reputed Spanish publication HOLA (Hello!'s original magz). http://www.hola.com/viajes/hotelesrurales/

The website is in Spanish, but each hotel listed have their website cited, not difficult to figure it out. Definitely worth considering, especially given the great prices for staying in very unique establishments within unique settings.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:03 AM

This is great..thanks for posting.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Hola Viajero2,
Thanks for the link which I now have bookmarked!

You're certainly right about the rural tourism boom in all of Spain, particularly in the north.
We've found truly lovely lodgings off the beaten path that have not only been most affordable but also have offered a very high price to quality ratio.
And many autonomous regions have their own network of these very attractive and extremely reasonable country homes that function as B&Bs or even whole house rentals.

My favorite Spanish travel magazine is Turismo Rural, which every month presents a feature article on at least two of these gems.
The first recommended hotel on the Hola site, the antique filled Casa de Paloma Castillo, in Ribadesella, Asturias, is just wonderful-run by a warm and gracious lady, who made our stay there so memorable. Booked for 2 days and wanted to stay a week!
The Peruskenea in Navarra is quite isolated but extremely peaceful, in a beautiful mountain setting.

Another great clearing house site that includes "casas rurales" and "agroturismos" from all provinces that Fodorites might find very useful is
www.toprural.com

It includes valuable client feedback, on the star system and has direct links to the hotel or home's own web page. Top Rural is available in several languages.

For Asturias, there's the beautiful Casonas Asturianas group, of which Casa de Paloma Castillo, is a member.
www.casonasasturianas.com

For Cantabria, we tried several of these lovely properties last summer.
www.calidadcantabria.com

for the Basque Country we swear by this agrotourism site and have a 2 week rental coming up soon!
www.nekatur.net
Also for small rural hotels:
www.hotelesruralespaisvasco.com

For Navarra we have friends renting a couple of these pretty properties this summer:
www.casasruralesnavarra.com
www.casasruralesdenavarra.com

For Galicia there's the manor house group, the Pazos de Galicia:
www.pazosdegalicia.com

For Castilla-León, we've enjoyed members of the Posadas Reales, such as the Hospedería de Santo Domingo in Pedraza and the Caserío de Lobones outside Segovia:
www.turismocastillayleon.com
then write "Posadas Reales" in the search box and it will provide a list.

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM

This is great info, thanks to you both for posting. I wish I'd had this info when I was looking for a casa rurale in Andalusia. I found what looks to be a beautiful place near Iznajar called Cortijo la Haza. I'll post a report upon my return...
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:44 AM
rex

Just adding a thumbs up for the one property from <i>Casas rurales</i> where we stayed between S Sebastian and Bilbao last May. Learned about it from Maribel's excellent guide - - maribelsguides.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM

Thank you for posting this! bookmarking for future use!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:38 PM

I used the &quot;Top Rural&quot; website while planning a recent trip to Spain that took in both the Basque county and Cataluyna.

http://en.toprural.com/
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:47 PM

bookmarking
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:56 PM

If looking for something still rural but a bit more sophisticated, check www.rusticae.es. Old palaces or manor houses that have been reconverted into de luxe rural housings.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Maribel,

I just went to the website of the Casa de Paloma Cstillo and they say that they are not in business anymore!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:52 AM
LLC

Great sites. Thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Maribel-- Hola! As always, your posts are a wealth of great info. Thank you all for sharing/ feedback.

I can't emphasize enough how well worth it is to consider rural tourism (turismo Rural). Not only will you be promoting the local &quot;Momma &amp; Poppa&quot;, but as Maribel so well stated, it can be a unique experience, great quality at very affordable prices.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 09:36 AM

Hola cruiseluv,
Oh, no! I just checked the Casonas Asturianas site, and it's been removed. I just hope that nothing has happened to the gracious marquesa, Paloma, and that she just decided to retire from the hotel business.
Cruiseluv,
If you're looking for lovely lodging in Ribadesella, one of my favorite Asturian coastal towns, look just down that same street at another Casona, the Villa Rosario. It is also on the beach and is a converted indiano mansion. I've sent Fodors friends here who have loved this one too! It's run more like a full service hotel, complete with restaurant, rather than a B&amp;B, but it has the same magnificent location and that same beautiful indiano villa architecture.
www.hotelvillarosario.com

mikelg,
We love the Rusticae properties, too. A friend in Vera de Bidasoa, Navarra, owns one, where we regularly stay, and some have quite beautiful designer decor (Palacio de So&ntilde;anes in Cantabria-wow) and are very romantic. Thanks to your recommendation, we're going to go down to visit the Rusticae Hotel Ansotegi in July.

For anyone who would like to try them, the Rusticae properties have a vast range: from rustically charming 2 star inns, such as the Posada Morisca in Frigiliana to elegant 5 star city hotels, such as the Palacio Sa Ca Galesa in Palma de Mallorca.
The Rusticae group has recently expanded. I see in my '06 catalogue that they now have properties not only in Portugal and Argentina but also Morocco.
I'm completely joined at the hip to my Rusticae catalogue! I try to include at least one property in each trip we make, along with the Paradors and the casas rurales.
And www.innsofspain.com very competently represents the Rusticae group.
Rusticae's own reservation system can be very frustrating and not user friendly.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 10:42 AM

I´ve also stayed in several Cantabria Gran Reserva inns, cheaper than Rusticae ones, but also of great quality. www.cantabriarural.com shows some of them, there´s a catalogue available. For the Basque country, the best page (already recommended on this post) is www.nekatur.net.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 02:34 PM

For anyone interested in exploring rural Navarra and lodging in a charmingly rustic, very inexpensive, family-run inns, here's yet another link:
www.hotelesruralesnavarra.es
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:04 PM

Hola Maribel,

First let me tell you, I'm so happy to see you posting regularly again. I'll never forget how supportive and helpful you were for my first trip to Northern Spain. And now, I'm totally in love with the area!

Since that trip two years ago I have had the goal of spending some time on the Asturian coast and Ribadesella would be a prime candidate. I don't know if it will be this year. I'll be in Santander for a few days with my 17 yrs old who will be attending Spanish classes at UIMP. Right now my plans after Santanderis to go to Burgos for a couple of days and then Madrid on my way to Italy.
But the Villa Rosario looks sooo lovely that, of course, I now start looking at ways to change my schedule! LOL!
Well, if not this year, there is always next year!

Thanks for the recommendation! I'm filing it as we speak.

In Burgos I have reservations at the NH Palacio de la Merced. Do you recommend it? Any restaurant recommendations?

Thanks! Mar&iacute;a
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Hola Mar&iacute;a,
I remember your first trip so very well, as if it were yesterday! Talking about how you could do it all by public transportation, and it came together so nicely! And while I was away from regular posting, I did secretly and eagerly follow your trip reports and those of mariagross. Kindred spirits. We are all such lovers of Northern Spain! It's great to be back among my Fodors friends.

It's terrific that your 17 yr. old will be attending classes at the UIMP. In fact, I've always wanted to take some summer seminars there!

Please save the Villa Rosario for a stay on the Asturian coast. I promise you'll love it.
We were in Llanes last July, and I adore Asturias!

Yes, the NH Palacio de la Merced is a great choice. I think we like the same type of lodging And its dining venue, the Rinc&oacute;n de la Merced has a connection with one of our favorite Navarran restaurants, the prestigious Maher in Cintru&eacute;nigo. Menu is supervised by the Maher chef. It has a Campsa sol, which means it's very good.
Or go to &quot;24 de la Paloma&quot;, next to the cathedral.
www.restauranteelangel.com
Or if you're in the mood for cordero, there's the renowned Casa Ojeda on Victoria, also with a Campsa sol.
For tapas on Calle San Lorenzo, I'd try Casa Pancho or Vino Veritas (#15 and #35)

Have a wonderful time, and put Ribadesella on your &quot;must do&quot; list!
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:10 PM

Gracias Maribel for your recommendations!