Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   most romantic place to propose (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/most-romantic-place-to-propose-104857/)

jonny Feb 8th, 2001 07:15 AM

most romantic place to propose

on our trip to italy in the fall i am proposing to my girlfriend and im looking for the perfect spot

Art Feb 8th, 2001 08:02 AM

Venice,Venice,Venice,Venice,Venice,Venice,Venice,V enice,Venice,Venice <BR>Around the Rialto Bridge? <BR>

Gina Feb 8th, 2001 08:09 AM

What Art said. Venice. Period. :: sigh :: She'll melt. <BR> <BR>Let's see, as to where in Venice...obviously in a gondola is the immediate thought. It would certainly be memorable. Perhaps at dinner at one of the Fodorites-recommended restaurants? I tend to think the Accademia bridge is a bit more romantic than the Rialto, despite the latter's greater fame. During an evening stroll along the Riva degli Schiavoni? <BR> <BR>Anyway...Venice Venice Venice!

Me Feb 8th, 2001 08:39 AM

Yes, Venice would be lovely. Just want to suggest one other option: Paris. Sunset on the Pont du Alexandre III. Bottle of champagne???

J Feb 8th, 2001 09:33 AM

If your going south of Rome the Isle of Capri is a great place too. Take a boat ride into the Blue Lagoon it unbeliveable. If not Venice is a very beutiful place.

Dawn Feb 8th, 2001 10:57 AM

I'd have to agree with Art. Maybe in Piazza St. Marco, under a beautiful moon. Maybe if you set it up ahead of time, one of the many small orchestras would be willing to play a song for you?

Diane Feb 8th, 2001 11:58 AM

Oh yes, I agree with Venice. So romantic. Either in a gondola at night or in the evening in the square. By all means have one of the orchestras play something special -- like Michel Legrand's "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" I'm getting goose-bumps just at the thought.

Mike Feb 8th, 2001 12:42 PM

Hotel San Pietro, Positano? <BR> <BR>Or what about that film with Jack Lemmon and Juliet (?) Mills set in Ischia?

HappenedToMe Feb 8th, 2001 01:04 PM

The best place to propose to your beloved is wherever she's just told you that she's pregnant....

Carey Feb 8th, 2001 02:07 PM

I got engaged in Venice, and it was very romantic. I would recommend it! It was one of the most romantic days of my life, except the day that I got married in Ravello............now that was magical!

gretchen Feb 8th, 2001 02:36 PM

ditto on venice!

rw Feb 9th, 2001 08:03 AM

good question, and although venice is popular and deserved choice, i still maintain that the place i will propose to my girlfriend will be on the charles bridge in prague

jonny Feb 9th, 2001 10:30 AM

i guess Venice is the place--only concern is I dont want to be the 4th guy that night proposing

Jeff Feb 9th, 2001 10:50 AM

As long as she says yes, it doesn't matter where you do it. You could ask her in the bathroom at the train station, and it will still be romantic, as long as the moment's right.

Susan Feb 9th, 2001 10:58 AM

I agree with Jeff - I'm amazed that someone can wait until the fall to propose! Every woman reading this and planning a trip to Italy with her boyfriend isn't going to be expecting a ring now!

Mariarosa Feb 9th, 2001 10:59 AM

How about the tip of the Ile de la Cite at night, with the Seine water at arm's length, while looking at the beauty of the Parisian lights, with the ring in one hand and a bottle of champagne in the other? If she says no you can always threten to throw her in the water!

Pat Feb 9th, 2001 12:12 PM

Get up from the computer. <BR>Go into the living room. <BR>Drop onto one knee. <BR>Propose <BR> <BR>For God's sake, man, life carries no guarantees. She could be dead by next fall! Carpe Diam. Deum? Whatever.

stacey Feb 9th, 2001 01:14 PM

I just saw an ad on the Travel Channel for a show they're airing next Wednesday at 9:00 - Worlds Best place to pop the question. They showed a clip of a couple in a gondola...... <BR> <BR>Good luck.

Robert Feb 9th, 2001 01:17 PM

Buy an engagement ring ASAP. Propose before Valentines Day, set the date for the wedding and give her a shopping spree in the leather district of Florence when you get to Italy. Leather coat, leather purses, belts and skip the shoes -the sizing is wierd and her feet may be slightly swollen from walking. (Skip the jewelers in Florence)

Jeff Feb 9th, 2001 01:21 PM

Good idea, Pat. I missed the part about the fall on my first read. We need to take young Jonny and lead him by the head! <BR> <BR>When's the wedding? 2006?