Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Most paintable town & villages in England?

Old Jun 2nd, 1997, 03:29 PM
Elizabeth Henderson

I'll be painting on location in England in September. All recommendations for paintable towns
and villages would be appreciated. Any suggestions
for B&B's will also be followed up on. Thanks

Old Jun 2nd, 1997, 03:53 PM
SteveG

Many Guidebooks say Chipping Campden in the Cotwolds has the finest High Street in England. I would have to agree based on my sample. Don't miss the fine thatched roof homes there either. I loved Grassington in the Yorkshire Dales. Peebles in the Scottish Borders was another favorite stop with a fine B&B called Minnebank. There are many wonderful scenes all along the Tweed River like Niedpath Castle high above the banks. Have fun!

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 04:39 AM
Lanny

I don't paint,my son does, but I was a professional photographer at one point in my career, and so I am always looking for the perfect picture on my many trips to England (I have been going yearly for nearly two decades). We have a houseful of super realism pictures my son did from photos I shot in Chipping Campden -- a gorgeous Cotswolds village with many thatched huts, a wonderful High Street, as a previous writer indicated, and wonderful ruins of a Moorish influenced castle that was sacked during the English civil war. Visit also Bourton-on-the-Water, Stow-on-the-Wold and Broadway -- which used to be described as the prettiest village in England, all within spitting distance of Chipping Campden. You could spend your whole time in England painting in the Cotswolds. If you wander over to the Lakes district, my vote goes to Grasmere, and if you are in to wonderful waterfront images, then travel to the south coast and try painting Dartmouth from the top of the hill (on your way down to the ferry across the harbour), St. Ives, and the crags and ruins in and around Tintagel. Go crazy! Lanny

Old Jun 3rd, 1997, 04:59 AM
Elizabeth Henderson

Thanks Steve and Lanny. I will definitly go to Chipping Campden. Anyone know of a b&b there within walking distance of village? All other suggestions appreciated.

Old Jun 4th, 1997, 06:51 AM
Beth

I love the Peak District area in the central part of northern England -- somewhat off the beaten path. Picturesque villages and countryside. We stayed in Hathersage in the northern Peak District where the scenery was so breathtaking, we found ourselves turning short hikes into all day affairs to give ourselves time to drink in our surroundings. We stayed at Carr Head Farm B&B in Hathersage, which sits atop the moors overlooking the village. The 17th century church spire became our landmark -- we could see it almost constantly as we hiked. (Little John reputedly buried in the churchyard. I dream of going back and spending more time. Lot's else to do in the region, too. Enjoy your trip!