most comfortable travel shoes you own?

Feb 9th, 2002, 06:55 AM
molly

most comfortable travel shoes you own?

Going to europe next month and will be doing tons of walking--can I get some opinions on the most comfortable traveling shoes you own? I need a pair for myself and for my husband. I am having no luck on my own.

Feb 9th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Liz Z.

There have been numerous threads on this subject, and in the end it comes down to "everyone has different feet, what's good for me might not work for you." I like Eccos, some like Mephistos, some like New Balance walkers. The list goes on!

Feb 9th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Chris

I agree, try some different ones. I own several pairs of Eccos and they are wonderful. Not too expensive compared to the others.

Feb 9th, 2002, 09:08 AM
dena

Molly,
Try a pair of shoes from Donald J Pliner. I bought a pair before going to Italy a couple of years ago and walked all over the place before breaking them in at home. They are by far the most comfortable shoes I own. They are black material with a rubber sole, but he has many styles to choose from, dressy and not dressy. I have purchased additional shoes from him and all are extremely comfortable. Also, just a suggestion, but you really want to avoid sneakers, you'll stand out like an American tourist, not a good idea, particularly now. I purchased my shoes at a Donald J Pliner store locally, but I know he has a web site, you might find store locations near you. They run about $160 to $200 and up, I think, but well worth the money. He also sells men's shoes. Good luck and have a great trip!

Feb 9th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Bob Brown

I bought some SAS shoes on the suggestion thast they would be the best.
I ended up wearing a pair of Rockfords -- wing tips at that. The are the most comfortable pair I own, other than my hiking boots which are not all that suitable for urban wear.

Feb 9th, 2002, 09:37 AM
Linda

Last May I went to London, Paris, southern France for the very first time. I bought a pair of shoes that I thought would be perfect and wore them on the plane. When we landed I could barely get my feet into them. I was in agony from the airport to the hotel and walking from the hotel to go shopping for a pair of shoes. I always do bargain shopping and it drove me crazy when I realized I'd have to pay about $70 (after stopping in every place that sold shoes on Oxford Street)for a pair of shoes that were not guaranteed to be comfortable and really were just another pair of shoes. Somehow we ended up in a store that sold Dr. Martens and I told the saleslady my story. She showed me a pair and guaranteed they'd be comfortable. She was absolutely right. The best part is I spent $70 on a pair of shoes that would have cost so much more at home (and I would never have paid it anyway!).

We're headed to Rome in March and I'll be wearing them on the plane and all over the city.

Feb 9th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Capo

Hi Molly. For me, it's a pair of dark brown mooseskin Minnetonka moccasins. Besides my girlfriend, they were my best companion in Rome last year. :~)

Feb 9th, 2002, 09:52 AM
janis

Unless I am planning on some serious hiking or foul weather treks - I always take two pairs of shoes (and only 2 pair)

A pair of Mephisto lace-up walking shoes - the most comfortable shoes I own.

A pair of Soft Spot flats which have a great rubber sole but from above look like simple dress flats or pumps. They are comfortable enough for cobblestones but dressy enough for any event.

This way I am ready for anything - the Mephistos for REAL walking, and the Soft Spots for city visits -

Feb 9th, 2002, 10:33 AM
olivia

I think Dansko clogs are the best--extremely comfortable, with a bit of a heel, and somewhat stylish to boot (no pun intended)

Feb 9th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Micki

Molly,
I spent $130 on a pair of Ecco

Feb 9th, 2002, 12:15 PM
Micki

Whoops. As I was saying, spent $130 on Eccos and $30 on a pair of I Luv Comfort shoes from Sears. Wore the Ecco in town and the cheaper pair while walking in mountains with sheep poop everywhere, visiting ruins in raining weather, mud, etc. Both worked great.

Feb 9th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Julie

If you try entering "shoes" in the text search box you should pull up a lot of old postings on this. Rick Steves also has a thread about walking shoes on this web site, at www.ricksteves.com.

Julie

Feb 9th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Book Chick

Just returned from Rome, to which I'd brought 3 pairs of footwear. Undoubtedly the best were the Cloudwalkers black suede ankle boots. The web site, cloudwalkers.com didn't lie in their claim that these shoes are both cushioning & supportive. Best part? The model I purchased "Gaze" was on sale!

Happy Travels,
BC

Feb 9th, 2002, 04:17 PM
xxx

Dexter shoes work for me.

Feb 9th, 2002, 04:24 PM
Mel

I've used Doc Martens, Black suade Rockports, White Mountain boots and clogs, etc. but I really like mules--regardless of make--because I can wear any thickness of sock (or none), never worry about swelling feet (especially after sitting up all night on the plane). I'm going back next week, so I just bought a pair of black Clark clogs/mules with kind of thick crepey sole. Been wearing them all week and they're my new favorites!

Feb 9th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Leslie

I also wear Clark mules, which I really love, White Mountain sandals and clogs, Born flats and Sam and Libby oxfords. But, I just ordered two pairs of Dansko clogs based on recommendations of many here that I am waiting for UPS to deliver to me. Can anyone tell me how comfortable Dansko closed-back clogs are on cobble-stoned streets? I bought them for my trip to Budapest, but the sales clerk told me that they won't give me enough support. Obviously, I'll break them in before I leave, but would I be better off not bringing them with me?

Bookchick, thanks for the recommendation for Cloudwalkers -- I looked at the website earlier and there are a few cute pairs I might want to buy. Alas, I am becoming like Imelda Marcos. I bought a new pair of boots for the winter and a pair of Merrell knock offs at the Lands End site and I have barely worn either pair as we have had very little snow in the Boston area this season.

Feb 10th, 2002, 04:35 PM
steve

My experience was the opposite of Bob's. I won a pair of Rockports and they became so stiff that my feet screamed in agony. For the past 10 years, it has been nothing but SAS Time Outs for me.

Feb 10th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Danna

Merrells are my fave.... got a pair for a trip in Oct 2000 and just about to buy a new pair to be ready for our trip in April...

Feb 10th, 2002, 10:53 PM
topper

toppy

Feb 11th, 2002, 06:38 AM
dan woodlief

SAS Time Outs, and it is not even close. I looked very hard at Merrells too and even bought a pair. After wearing them around the living room for a few minutes, I decided to return them because the material simply made my feet too hot. Plus, since they were slip-ons, I thought they felt too loose. The SAS shoes aren't the best for style, and they aren't cheap, but I was so glad I had them when I went to Italy. I actually tried wearing my running shoes one day for comparison (took them just in case the SAS shoes were not so great), and I regretted it after a few minutes. A great thing about the SAS shoes is they need no breaking in to be comfortable. I only wore mine to work a couple of times before the trip, and I sit much of the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO