Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   most beautiful lake in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/most-beautiful-lake-in-europe-270000/)

linda Oct 31st, 2002 03:31 PM

most beautiful lake in Europe?

I think Europe has the best lakes in the world. My perosnal favorite is Lake lucerne. I love just sitting in a bench and watching the movement in the lake in the summer. What is yours?

John H Oct 31st, 2002 06:09 PM

Linda,<BR><BR>I'd rather not settle for just one: England's Lake District has so many wonderful ones from which to choose -- and so very close to one another.<BR><BR>But, if I have to choose just one, I think Lake Annecy in France has got to be right up there with the best of them. A manageable size, crystal clear water, fantastic lakeshore villages, the charm of Annecy itself, and numerous wonderful views (both near and far).<BR><BR>John H.

Patrick Oct 31st, 2002 06:31 PM

Lake Bled in Slovenia has it all -- small and very picturesque. A tiny island with a postcard perfect church out in the middle. A spectacular looking castle on a cliff overlooking the lake. Only a handful of hand rowed boats plying the glasslike waters. Beautiful hotels along one side. A walking path around the entire lake that you can cover in less than 2 hours.

StCirq Oct 31st, 2002 06:35 PM

lago Valentino in the Dolomites, where Austria, Italy, and Switzerland all come together in a dizzying geographical and linguistic meld. It has a sunken tower in it, is small and cold, but the clearest water you could ever imagine and lovely background scenery - if only you can figure out which country you're in and which language to speak, it's heaven.

Jan Oct 31st, 2002 10:22 PM

Vierwaldstaatersee (Lake Lucerne) and Lake Bled. I live in Luzern and on a clear day, it still takes my breath away! Lake Bled was completely unexpected. I had heard that it was beautiful, but then, someone told me Lake Balaton was also. Anyway, Bled is fabulous. Two contenders in my future are Iago Valentino (Thanks, StCirq!)and Bohinj in Slovenia. It is supposed to be as beautiful as Bled but without the development.<BR>Cheers!<BR>Jan

egg Nov 1st, 2002 12:04 AM

Buttermere

xxx Nov 1st, 2002 12:54 AM

The most incredible view onto a lake is at Lake Geneva (or Lac Leman in French), from the vineyards above in Grand Vaux; the view down to and across the lake and across to the French Alps, on a clear day of course, reminds me of an Impressionist painting &agrave; la Degas or Monet...

Julie Nov 1st, 2002 03:41 AM

I'm very partial to the northern Italian Lake country and within that to Lake Como, Lake Orta and Lake Iseo. The importance of water--lake, sea, ocean, river--in the selection of travel destinations is inestimable IMO.

elina Nov 1st, 2002 06:24 AM

I know that I am very partial when I say this, but I think it is the whole huge lake labyrinth of Saimaa in eastern Finland. Best wiewed from a boat.

Heather Long Nov 1st, 2002 06:37 AM

I like the Italian lakes but there are too many buildings around them.I prefer The Lakes of Killarney in south-west Ireland which still retain most of their natural beauty.Have a look at part of Lough Leane,the largest of the three lakes on www.lakehotel.com/<BR>large-aeriel.htm. There are boat trips on the lakes.They have been famous since Queen Victoria went on vacation there in 1861,the last family holiday before her husband`s death.

jeff Nov 1st, 2002 03:41 PM

I vote for Lake Geneva. I also saw a beautiful lake on the border of Germany and Austria, but I do no know the name of it.

CharlieB Nov 1st, 2002 03:52 PM

I think Jeff is talking about Konigsee outside of Berchtesgaden. It would be my number 2. Number 1 is Bled and number 3 would be Como. Lake Constance (Bodensee) from Lindau is also idyllic.

mimi taylor Nov 1st, 2002 05:41 PM

Lake Annecy not just for it's beauty but for the incredible amount of great restos.

Randall Smith Nov 1st, 2002 05:48 PM

I agree with Mimi,<BR><BR>It is a beautiful setting, surounded by mountains, with a medieval city and a chateau. It is also the purest lake in Europe. Spending time in Annecy is like living a dream.<BR><BR>I hope everyone has a chance to visit Annecy at least once during thier lives.<BR><BR>Randy Smith

BillJ Nov 1st, 2002 07:20 PM

I haven't seen very many, but Lucerne and Como would be on my list.<BR><BR>I would also nominate Halstattersee in the Salzgammergut, Austria. Mirror calm waters with mountains leaping up from the sides. No power boats, the evening silence was pure heavenly.

Steve James Nov 2nd, 2002 12:52 AM

LAKE BRAIES in the Dolomites (near Brunico) - takes my breath away every time.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Grasshopper Nov 2nd, 2002 05:45 AM

I have a picture in my mind of the Montreux end of Lake Geneva from the back of a steamer; incredible dark blue water, lighter blue sky above, vineyard covered hillsides to the left and dark gray green mountains to the right, and in the distance the beautiful snow topped peaks of the highest mountains towards Brig and on to Italy. But in the foregound of my picture blows the Swiss flag from the back of the steamer. An indelable picture.<BR><BR>But then there is Lago Maggiore from a bench in Minusio early in the morning with a hazy fog rising from the water and silent sailboats bobbing at their buoys.

navyflyer Nov 2nd, 2002 10:19 AM

Worthersee in Maria Worth, near Klagenfurt, Austria to me was the most beautiful lake in Europe. There is a 1200ft observation tower to soak in the whole experience. It is just plain beautiful. Best month to go is June. It makes for nice swimming. I would put Bled in second. I had the honor of flying over it and spotted the island with the church before I actually went there.

Sheila Nov 2nd, 2002 12:00 PM

I can think of many stunning Scottish lochs- Loch Tay, maybe, especially. But NOT (read my lips, NOT) Loch Ness

jw Nov 3rd, 2002 03:12 AM

Be still, my heart. I've copied and filed this entire thread. J.