Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mosquitos in Camargue---is it really that bad??

Apr 17th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

We had planned to visit the Camargue while staying in St. Remy around the 1st to 5th of May. I keep reading that people will not go because of the mosquitos. Are they really that bad to keep us away? I read that if it is windy, they are not so bad but how will we know if it is going to be windy in Camargue on a given day.
I would appreciate any opinions on this subject. If it is really that bad maybe we will go to Aix instead. Thanks.
Apr 17th, 2014, 02:07 PM

Depends on the time of year and the weather conditions, but I've been many times (never in May) and wasn't bothered. But I also wasn't horseback riding or sloshing through the marais. FWIW, mosquitos love me.
Apr 17th, 2014, 02:23 PM

Good gosh, it's not a malarial zone. Take some picaridin spray (as good as DEET or better [keeps ticks and biting flies away too] and doesn't stink like DEET) and enjoy yourself.
Apr 17th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

I wouldn't have asked this question to find out about insect repellent--duh???
StCirq---they do love me, ALOT!! I grew up in Oklahoma and Texas and have a close relationship with mosquitos and their nasty bites all over anything that was not covered and then some.
We did go to Costa Rica and I used a lot of lavender which supposedly detracts them. Thanks for your intelligent response StCirq.
Apr 17th, 2014, 06:36 PM

The following is from About France:

Warning - mosquitoes
Staying in the Camargue is not recommended in Summer and Autumn for visitors susceptible to mosquitoes. While most hotels have mosquito netting on bedroom windows, campers and mobile-home travellers are advised to take note...

Early May is not quite summer, but with the warmer weather, it could be an early mosquito season.
Apr 17th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

I guess we will just have to wait till we get there and determine the weather, the wind and suggestions from the people at the hotel in St. Remy. I have alternative plans if this does not work. It sounds like quite an enchanting place to visit but there are lots of places in Provence to visit. This just sounded like something very different.
Thank you Robert 2533! If we go, I will report back on the B52's as the little creatures were called in one article I read.