Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

mosquitoes and no air conditioning in Arezzo in mid-July

Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

We are now going to stay in Villa I Bossi outside Arezzo for 2 nights in mid- July, and have now turned our attention to the "mosquito question" in Tuscany in July.

Is anyone familiar with this area at this time of year? Are the mosquitos a concern in the hill areas and, if so, when do they usually "come out to play"?

As always, thanks for any advice.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:37 AM

Mozzies in Italy generally are affected by two factors - the climate and how close to urban centres you are. A lot of spraying goes on now compared to once.

If you are in the real country and in a low lying location close to water - you will still find them. They tend to be more bothersome at night - though I think that is more because you are a lying target in the dark - as I think they are always present.

An excellent defence mechanism is AUTAN - which can be picked up from the FARMACIA (drugstore). Spray or roll-on - apply liberally prior to walking out in the evening and on retiring.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:44 AM

Mosquitoes are nocturnal primarily, so nighttime will be when you find them, if you find them.
I have friends to traveled to Arezzo in July and had no a/c. Although one of them was quite concerned in advance, she found that the thick walls of an old building, night breezes, open windows, and fans kept her quite comfortable, still using a light blanket. She never mentioned mosquitoes, but that may differ from year to year depending on rainfall.
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

To London and Shalott - thanks for your info.

Anyone else familiar with either this area or Villa I Bossi?
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:41 AM

When we spent a week in Tuscany a few years back with no a/c (it was not a problem, nights were cool and it was in August), we got mosquito "things" from the local supermarket that we plugged into electrical outlets. The mosquitos didn't bother us.